Page 84 of 508 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 12676
    Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    I had the same pair of gloves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    That’s awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Upstate is probably celebrating the Bills win and BIlls Mafia. Downstate did not even have a team with a winning record. (But the NYC teams really are NJ teams anyway.)
    I can guarantee the Labatt is flowing in Ellicottville. Unless the Sabres are playing.

Then it’s Labatt and Crown.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    I had the same pair of gloves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Fellow Boston Mill’er checking in. Nice.

I skied the ones on the left, probably still have them - maybe not as long as his were, but went through 3 pair of K2's over the years. Ski some Elans now- none of them were chosen because of Glen though.
    Aside from some (very neon) Vertical Assaults and the previously mentioned Atomics, I’ve been happily Solly loyal since 1994. The K2s of Plake and Mahre’s era were prone to de-laming at the mere sight of a Midwest ice mogul. I had so many buddies warranty K2 Extremes year after year that I’ve been permanently afraid of trying some. Always liked the branding though and I’m a huge Plake and Moseley fan, so hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    This is correct. Hence the title of my blog post “chasing Plake”. It was about two dozen middle aged fanboys (not in a bad way) chasing him around the hill, with breaks at the top of the lift for him to tell stories while everybody caught up
    Accurate. Watching his first run on our “steep” bump run he just launched himself off the first bump into a massive 360 somewhere halfway down the hill. It was such a buzz to be with the man at that point in our young ski lives.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I can guarantee the Labatt is flowing in Ellicottville. Unless the Sabres are playing.

Then it’s Labatt and Crown.

Fellow Boston Mill’er checking in. Nice.

Aside from some (very neon) Vertical Assaults and the previously mentioned Atomics, I’ve been happily Solly loyal since 1994. The K2s of Plake and Mahre’s era were prone to de-laming at the mere sight of a Midwest ice mogul. I had so many buddies warranty K2 Extremes year after year that I’ve been permanently afraid of trying some. Always liked the branding though and I’m a huge Plake and Moseley fan, so hey.

Accurate. Watching his first run on our “steep” bump run he just launched himself off the first bump into a massive 360 somewhere halfway down the hill. It was such a buzz to be with the man at that point in our young ski lives.
    Mahre Brothers, and early in his career Bodi Miller were on K2's. Last pair of K2's I owned were the first series of shape skis that had their led piezoelectric in them. Probably a gimmick that they were to reduce vibration and dampen the ski. Then K2 went is a bit of different direction with their line up and moved a bunch of stuff to China as many others did.

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Val Bialas. 400 foot ski hill in the center of Utica NY with lights. Remember my comment about racing your friends down ice bumps with full contact allowed under the lights?

Yeah that.

I’ve mentioned this before, but the hospital is like 2 blocks away. Which came in handy.

I went through a half dozen pairs of Reusch gloves back in the day. They were all in great shape when I stopped using them. So why did I stop using them you're thinking... Dumbass me usually left them on the roof of the car and drove off or on the bar after skiing. I used to get them with Marker bindings on EP deals so they cost something like $25 otherwise I wouldn't have had things like that unless they sold them at the used gear stores I got my one piece suits at

There was a ski area in Utica? I don't remember that.

I know at one time NY had the most ski areas of any state, I wonder if it's still that way.

I think so.

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

Yup. I think it’s the only ski chairlift inside city limits in the US.

In your defense, it’s pretty easy to miss.

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resor.../#&gid=1&pid=1

And if I remember correctly, there is a graveyard at the top. So there’s that.

You know how sometimes you look right past things you don't expect to see? I've driven past this place at least a dozen times when I go to visit my customers that are on the other side of the 840/12 interchange less than a mile away. I guess that's why two of them are ski and bike shops. *shrug* The Google machine says they're temporarily closed though, is that a weather or Covid thing? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ci...=en&authuser=0

We should do a count of NY ski areas in this thread and see if we're still the leader in overall number of ski areas. I bet that with all the small town hills we probably are.

there's 50 members of the Ski Areas of New York association to start with....

https://www.iskiny.com/ski-new-york/mountains

and i think there is another 10-15 more ski areas that aren't members.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I went through a half dozen pairs of Reusch gloves back in the day. They were all in great shape when I stopped using them. So why did I stop using them you're thinking... Dumbass me usually left them on the roof of the car and drove off or on the bar after skiing. I used to get them with Marker bindings on EP deals so they cost something like $25 otherwise I wouldn't have had things like that unless they sold them at the used gear stores I got my one piece suits at

I know at one time NY had the most ski areas of any state, I wonder if it's still that way.
    Lol, I was like that with poles. Over a 7-8 year stretch I think I left/drove over about 15 pair of Goode poles at the car in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    I like those posters, nice.

That brings back memories. Goode poles were such pieces of shit. They weighed a ton, and you could damn near bend them into a U.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Yup. I think it’s the only ski chairlift inside city limits in the US.

In your defense, it’s pretty easy to miss.

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resor.../#&gid=1&pid=1

And if I remember correctly, there is a graveyard at the top. So there’s that.
    I think there was one in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    That brings back memories. Goode poles were such pieces of shit. They weighed a ton, and you could damn near bend them into a U.
    They were shit in hindsight, but terribly popular with the mogul set back then. One night I was skiing at Perfect North in Indiana and standing off to the side of a bump run at the bottom when here comes Jerry running buck throttle backseat right at me.

I couldn't go anywhere so I push myself up in the air on those Goodes and pull my legs out of the way as Jerry comes underneath me snapping both poles clean in half. To his credit he felt awful about it and offered to buy me new poles and gave me $60 cash on the spot. We said no worries and that paid our bar tab that night.

I was flipping through the channels and caught half the New York episode of Aerial America. From a helicopter at 1k feet, the place looks pretty nice

I still have and use my old Goode poles for most trail skiing. I use the burly aluminum poles I got from Splat for tree and sidecountry stuff.

They were shit in hindsight, but terribly popular with the mogul set back then. One night I was skiing at Perfect North in Indiana and standing off to the side of a bump run at the bottom when here comes Jerry running buck throttle backseat right at me.

I couldn't go anywhere so I push myself up in the air on those Goodes and pull my legs out of the way as Jerry comes underneath me snapping both poles clean in half. To his credit he felt awful about it and offered to buy me new poles and gave me $60 cash on the spot. We said no worries and that paid our bar tab that night.
    Wait. There's a cornfield in Indiana with enough elevation difference to a) have "alpine" skiing and b) allow someone to get up enough speed to snap a set of poles???

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Wait. There's a cornfield in Indiana with enough elevation difference to a) have "alpine" skiing and b) allow someone to get up enough speed to snap a set of poles???
    It’s actually a really well run tiny area that produced 2x Olympic Medalist Nick Goepper. It’s in a valley draining into the Ohio River so there’s some slope and elevation.

It’s actually a really well run tiny area that produced 2x Olympic Medalist Nick Goepper. It’s in a valley draining into the Ohio River so there’s some slope and elevation.
    I always wondered why really small hills don’t just dig a big hole at the bottom and send the aggregate to the top in dump trucks. Seems like instant vertical inflation to me

There was one somewhere in the Midwest that added to the top. Damned if I remember where...

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I always wondered why really small hills don’t just dig a big hole at the bottom and send the aggregate to the top in dump trucks. Seems like instant vertical inflation to me
    Or just use it as a landfill for a while. Then the methane gas could be used to supplement and power the lifts...

Went to SUNY Brockport in the late 70's. After the bars closed we'd take my toboggan and hike laps at Northland Park on the edge of town.
    Pretty amazing no one ever got hurt.

Or just use it as a landfill for a while. Then the methane gas could be used to supplement and power the lifts...
    Where I learned to ski, Mt Brighton, MI (also home to TJ Burke and Dex Rutecki), the “peak” that the yellow, green and blue chairs are on was a landfill.

No shortage of jokes about shredding the trashpile.

^^ Yeah that's the place. Mt Trashmore. Ya know, every time TJ is mentioned I wonder what happened to him after the meltdown.

Some say Teej (as his friends used to know him) got overrun trying to keep up with the Bryce Kelloggs of the Roaring Fork Valley, which, of course, put too much stress on his relationship with Robin.

He pulled back from decent society, and the ski school. He left Robin, and the caboose he and Dex once loved so much. Some say he can be found hanging around various cat-ski operations throughout the mountain west, begging for free rides and a powder 8 partner.

His family just wishes he’d write every now and then, and maybe even come back to work at what used to be his Ford plant.