Page 204 of 508 FirstFirst ... 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 12681
    I agree with Brownski's modifications.

Maybe from 390 west would be "western upstate NY" , with 10 gallon hats with Bills' logos and chaps and clear beer and wings.

Where does that leave Rochester? Central or Western?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I always thought of it as western but looking at a map now it might be central.

I though it was agreed upon that the Daks are their own region, and while geographically north they are not "Upstate"..

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I though it was agreed upon that the Daks are their own region, and while geographically north they are not "Upstate"..
    Frankly, I’m not sure anything is agreed upon. Adirondacks may a subregion but they sure seem upstate to me.

Upstate, or "teh upstates"? One seems (questionably) geographical, the other seems more cultural.

This thread is over 5k posts, and I've never been a NY resident.. so my opinion isn't worth a whole lot.

Just summarizing what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Upstate, or "teh upstates"? One seems (questionably) geographical, the other seems more cultural.
    Well, both I think. I’m in the camp that everything north of Westchester east of the Hudson and north of Harriman SP west of the river is upstate. The ADKs are pretty woodchuck-y so culturally too.

Ain’t no fucking way that Rochester is central New York. They put coleslaw on their pastrami sandwiches. We do not do that here. It’s simple as that.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Frankly, I’m not sure anything is agreed upon. Adirondacks may a subregion but they sure seem upstate to me.
    You know what? We are approaching this backwards. Instead of trying to find the border we should be starting in the middle, establishing the areas that are for sure upstate, and then work outwards till it gets foggy. It may be a grayish, blurry line rather than a clear, bright one. Blurry and gray is kind of an upstate concept anyway.

So I'll start with this. The emotional, and potentially geographical, center of the Upstates is Utica. No one, and I mean no one, can question if the home of riggies, Utica greens, a reasonably successful minor league hockey team, the single A baseball club about which Good Enough To Dream was written, the leftovers from turn of the century wealth like the Stanley Theater, an incredible art museum to which almost no one goes, the inspiration for the backwards running population sign in the Simpsons, the only city in the US with a ski lift inside city limits and a hospital at its base, owner of 5 of the top 10 upstate dive bars, the unofficial bar fight capitol of the world, and the birthplace and current home of Utica-Fucking-Club, is upstate. It is absolutely Upstate. It is all the damn way Upstate.

So we start with Utica. Let's add cities/towns from there. What's next? This is how we find the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    I agree with Brownski's modifications.

Maybe from 390 west would be "western upstate NY" , with 10 gallon hats with Bills' logos and chaps and clear beer and wings.
    Da fuk? Take a lap.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    You know what? We are approaching this backwards. Instead of trying to find the border we should be starting in the middle, establishing the areas that are for sure upstate, and then work outwards till it gets foggy. It may be a grayish, blurry line rather than a clear, bright one. Blurry and gray is kind of an upstate concept anyway.

So I'll start with this. The emotional, and potentially geographical, center of the Upstates is Utica. No one, and I mean no one, can question if the home of riggies, Utica greens, a reasonably successful minor league hockey team, the single A baseball club about which Good Enough To Dream was written, the leftovers from turn of the century wealth like the Stanley Theater, an incredible art museum to which almost no one goes, the inspiration for the backwards running population sign in the Simpsons, the only city in the US with a ski lift inside city limits and a hospital at its base, owner of 5 of the top 10 upstate dive bars, the unofficial bar fight capitol of the world, and the birthplace and current home of Utica-Fucking-Club, is upstate. It is absolutely Upstate. It is all the damn way Upstate.

So we start with Utica. Let's add cities/towns from there. What's next? This is how we find the edge.
    Goddamn right. Utica is the beating heart of upstate (barely beating maybe). Is it ok if I post a reading of this on IG with my kids humming the battle hymn of the Republic in the background? Cause that’s inspiring

rome kicks utica's ass in football on the regular.

Somewhere, a man outside of one of those dive bars, after finishing his fistfight and beer, played taps upon reading this post. Softly, gently.
    I still call it The Jake.

romes where the tide was turned in the great revolution.... with out a bunch of orney upstate fucks holding the line at fort stanwix, y'all would be speakin' whatever bullshit language them fuckin' british basturds babble on in whilst drinkin' their damn tea with their fuckin' pnkie finger held high.

historical fact.

I’ve got an upstate buzz on

Fact

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Da fuk? Take a lap.
    No sense of humor. Definitely upstate. Likely Buffalo or another sad rust belt town with lots of cold and no real mountains to ski.

Ok, I'll draw the box of upstate:

Peekskill, Plattsburgh, Niagra Falls, Jamestown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Goddamn right. Utica is the beating heart of upstate (barely beating maybe). Is it ok if I post a reading of this on IG with my kids humming the battle hymn of the Republic in the background? Cause that’s inspiring
    I’d be honored.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    romes where the tide was turned in the great revolution.... with out a bunch of orney upstate fucks holding the line at fort stanwix, y'all would be speakin' whatever bullshit language them fuckin' british basturds babble on in whilst drinkin' their damn tea with their fuckin' pnkie finger held high.

historical fact.
    FKNA. The American Revolution: the original drunken barfight. Those brits didn’t stand a chance against the Upstates.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Somewhere, a man outside of one of those dive bars, after finishing his fistfight and beer, played taps upon reading this post. Softly, gently.
    Would have been a perfect Kubrick vehicle, don’t you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I’ve got an upstate buzz on

Fact
    And we’re back.

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    rome kicks utica's ass in football on the regular.
    I do enjoy a good upstate school rivalry. If memory serves, it’s like Dazed and Confused with less drugs, more beer, and the same cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    So many girls in the dorm at SUNY Oswego thought that Westchester was Upstate that my Rochester wife would tell them "Northern New York" when she was asked where Rochester was. Hope that helps.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I do enjoy a good upstate school rivalry. If memory serves, it’s like Dazed and Confused with less drugs, more beer, and the same cars.
    But the cars are a lot more rusty

They’ve been fighting that fight since 1891…….Fucking 1891.

What if you define upstate in secessionist terms?

Who needs to get away from the power of the boroughs?

Seriously. Think how much more successful the middle could be if they had representation.

Then again, it might not be the quaint struggling shithole y’all love so much.

And. If “upstate” formed its own state, would you allow Albany to join? Or would you have to carve out a corridor to connect it to the city?
    . . .

Pregame show from Buffalo shows a perfectly gray sky.

I think that’s a good omen for the Mafiosos.
    I still call it The Jake.

Bills losses are what built that town. It’s part of the fabric. The whole area is one Super Bowl win from becoming Nashville.

#reallynotreally