Page 13 of 507 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    The people I know fit the latter and they are most certainly raucous.

The 5 biggest employers in the Malone area are 3 different prisons, the hospital and the border patrol. #6 is a cheese factory. Now that's upstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Mah GAwd that northern new jersey accent is just balls ugly.
    truth
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The 5 biggest employers in the Malone area are 3 different prisons, the hospital and the border patrol. #6 is a cheese factory. Now that's upstate.
    The closest Walmart to most of the High Peaks zone too!

That's where the two dudes escaped from a while back
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The Stiller boy directed a 7 part mini series about that thing for Showtime that is now on Amazon Prime.

Interesting. I'll have to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    and to answer the orginal question
    downstate is the city, long island, westchester, orange, and rockland.
    The catskills is the transition area and everything after that is upstate with varying degrees of woodchuck backwoods people
    Orange, but not Putnam? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Mah GAwd that northern new jersey accent is just balls ugly.

While it certainly is a bit grating, I would take it over a southern drawl every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

My upstate NY experience is limited to the Glens Falls/Saranac Lake/ Potsdam region. I did build a large (120 can) pyramid with empty Genny Cream cans while in upstate NY for a ski weekend that turned into a 48 hour deluge once though.

When I was a kid, my family used to occasionally visit some family friends who had a cabin on Chazy Lake. On one of those trips I somehow got my hands on a t shirt with a pic of the Dannemora prison. In hindsight, I guess my mom had a better sense of humor then I gave her credit for. I wore the shit out of that shirt. Wish I still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    While it certainly is a bit grating, I would take it over a southern drawl every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

My upstate NY experience is limited to the Glens Falls/Saranac Lake/ Potsdam region. I did build a large (120 can) pyramid with empty Genny Cream cans while in upstate NY for a ski weekend that turned into a 48 hour deluge once though.
    I know you like taking stern stances on the opposite side of much here but you’re insane.

Imagine this woman saying “Hey y’all! Wanna come over and hang?” In that sweet sexy southern accent.

Now, imagine this woman saying “Hey youse limpdick motherfuckers, wanna smash and spread herpes?” in that nasally Jersey accent between pulls on her Marb 100.

Eyes closed you tell us you still make that same choice.
    I still call it The Jake.

the drawl is more of a southern jersey thing. you’re more likely to find a straight up russian accent in a place like franklin lakes than a jwowww.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

he meant a drawl from the actual South, not from south Jersey, I'm fairly sure.

I had a girlfriend who went to Sullivan County Community College, I was in Loch Sheldrake a lot for a couple years. Pretty depressing place in the early '80's, all the big Catskills Resorts were closed and just in ruins, we explored a few of them, pretty eerie. Everything must have been pretty nice around there in the '50's but man it was beat up by then. Felt hopeless and upstate for sure.

The eastern side of north jersey will get you the classic nasal-y jersey accent. The closer you get to staten island the heavier it gets. Never go to Staten island. Not once, not ever. Although the pizza is good and there is a Frank Lloyd Wright house there. Just don't go.

The western side of north jersey is a whole different world. You will more likely find a rusty pickup with a confederate flag who's driver runs on meth and broken dreams. There is a strange accent there that I haven't quite figured out. Beautiful rolling farmland, and a lot of meth.

In the Ramapo mtns you will find another world entirely. Don't go there either. You will be devoured by humans.

And as far as upstate I think the line is fluid rather than a hard line, a flowing jet stream of transplants and townies.
    Last edited by papapoopski; 06-30-2020 at 06:41 PM. Reason: poop

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I know you like taking stern stances on the opposite side of much here but you’re insane.

Imagine this woman saying “Hey y’all! Wanna come over and hang?” In that sweet sexy southern accent.

Now, imagine this woman saying “Hey youse limpdick motherfuckers, wanna smash and spread herpes?” in that nasally Jersey accent between pulls on her Marb 100.

Well, given that they're really asking the same question, I'll take truth in advertising. Although I do have to take issue with your hypothetical, as I have a strict no-tobacco/nicotine policy.

Quote Originally Posted by papapoopski View Post
    The eastern side of north jersey will get you the classic nasal-y jersey accent. The closer you get to staten island the heavier it gets. Never go to Staten island. Not once, not ever. Although the pizza is good and there is a Frank Lloyd Wright house there. Just don't go.

The western side of north jersey is a whole different world. You will more likely find a rusty pickup with a confederate flag who's driver runs on meth and broken dreams. There is a strange accent there that I haven't quite figured out. Beautiful rolling farmland, and a lot of meth.

In the Ramapo mtns you will find another world entirely. Don't go there either. You will be devoured by humans.

And as far as upstate I think the line is fluid rather than a hard line, a flowing jet stream of transplants and townies.
    I grew up in NWNJ and my parents still live in Hardwick Township. You aren't far off on your description, although you do have random pockets of affluence scattered about that make for a truly eclectic combo. I don't miss it.

he meant a drawl from the actual South, not from south Jersey, I'm fairly sure.

I had a girlfriend who went to Sullivan County Community College, I was in Loch Sheldrake a lot for a couple years. Pretty depressing place in the early '80's, all the big Catskills Resorts were closed and just in ruins, we explored a few of them, pretty eerie. Everything must have been pretty nice around there in the '50's but man it was beat up by then. Felt hopeless and upstate for sure.
    I grew up in Monticello, so, like a town over in the 80s and 90s... We explored the ruins a lot, a friend even made a book about them. borschtbeltrevisited.com
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Snooki's not from NJ Bmills. Straight up Upstate New Yawk. But she lives here now tho.

Snooki's not from NJ Bmills. Straight up Upstate New Yaak. But she lives here now tho.
    pretty sure all but 1 of the entire cast of "the jersey shore" were not born or even lived in NJ. They were all NYers. What you're hearing there is a long island or "city" accent.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I grew up in NWNJ and my parents still live in Hardwick Township.
    Dude that's like hard core Pennsylvania, but with higher taxes. There might be more black bears than people there.

Is that where the anger came from? Or did that come later when you moved out West?

Snooki's not from NJ Bmills. Straight up Upstate New Yawk. But she lives here now tho.
    Mind. Blown.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

I'm in Putnam and in most ways this is upstate. It's decidedly red politically, we don't have sidewalks, it's predominantly white and the 4 train stations have tiny parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    pretty sure all but 1 of the entire cast of "the jersey shore" were not born or even lived in NJ. They were all NYers. What you're hearing there is a long island or "city" accent.
    They liked the vacation paradise of Sleaside Heights.

Attachment 333212
    If anyone wants a gift for their woman let me know and I can swing by the shop and pick something out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

I just noticed something neat about this map. The area titled Metropolitan Area Region does not include Washington D.C.

This may change some things for one of our expedition mates.

I does include Monticello though, which all you history buffs know is the home of Thomas Jefferson.

Dude that's like hard core Pennsylvania, but with higher taxes. There might be more black bears than people there.

Is that where the anger came from? Or did that come later when you moved out West?
    You take that back. There was no greater slight in the borderlands of NWNJ than to be called a Pennsylvanian. The only reasons to go over to PA were to check out the selection at a beer distributor in Bangor ('memba when you had to buy beer by the case in PA?), or to cut down a Christmas tree.

But all joking aside, yes, there are a shitload of black bears in that area. My parents have one traipse through their back yard once a week or so. My dad also got hit by a bear while driving on their road one day: it came barreling out of the woods and ran headlong into the passenger side front door of his car as he was driving. We also spent some time in the lovely hamlets of Bloomsbury and Great Meadows. I think I've gone back to visit twice in the last 9 years.

Black bears and a boarding school pretty much sums up that little corner of NJ.

While you can make an argument that it's akin to the special olympics, where I grew up is one of the most scenic parts of the state.