Page 15 of 508 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    NWNJ borders upstate NY too.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I step away from this thread for a few minutes and you nutters expanding upstate out of NY??? Fuck that noise. As someone from a neighboring state, you keep that shit right where it belongs!
    Yeah, it’s almost like somebody started using “upstate” as code for something. Maybe we need another thread to figure out what upstate really means, like in a spiritual sense.

^^^
    What would be the Upstate equivalent of the Pure Michigan ad campaign, which conveys that same Michigan state of mind?

Tim Allen narrates the Pure Michigan ads; who would do the voicework for Pure Upstate?
    I still call it The Jake.

Doesn’t Jeff Bridges do them too?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    ^^^
    What would be the Upstate equivalent of the Pure Michigan ad campaign, which conveys that same Michigan state of mind?

Tim Allen narrates the Pure Michigan ads; who would do the voicework for Pure Upstate?
    Deniro, of course.

^^^

“Upstate NY .... It’s HUUUGE!”

-Fucillo Auto Mall Guy

I lived in Amsterdam for 3 months in 2012. Felt pretty upstate. That whole region, the northern Mohawk Valley just south of ADK park, Amsterdam, Johnstown, Gloversville, is pretty rough. Gets better closer to Albany. Schenectady is not a prize though.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I lived in Amsterdam for 3 months in 2012. Felt pretty upstate. That whole region, the northern Mohawk Valley just south of ADK park, Amsterdam, Johnstown, Gloversville, is pretty rough. Gets better closer to Albany. Schenectady is not a prize though.
    All indisputably upstate- both geographically and thematically

Amazing snowmobiling up into the park though. There's hundreds and hundreds of miles of trails. Probably thousands. I was there in January, February and March and it was the lowest snow year on record I believe, but we trailered north to snow the couple times I went. Normally they get a lot of snow around there.

The amount of coyotes around where I was was unbelievable. Literally packs of them. Paths worn into the ground from them around obstacles like walls. Nobody lets their dogs run, they'd get killed quick. Every house out in the country has a dooryard with a high wire fence just so the dogs can go outside and shit.

Weird area for sure.

Yeah, this is not about some sort of fucking state of mind. The fact is Upstate New York is not the fucking City of New York. The folks up here hate them folks down there, and those folks down there don’t understand why the fuck we are up here in the first place. They find us mildly amusing at best.

The line is where the city ends. It’s up to those fuckers on that line to defend that line at all costs. That way the rest of us can get on with enjoying life n shit without them fuckers getting in our fucking way.....

upstate New York actually is in upstate New York.......

This is fact.

What the hell were you doing there? I used to drive through it a fair amount, and downtown was like a ghost town. It emptied so fast it didn't have time to go ghetto. Nice spot, though.

Amazing snowmobiling up into the park though. There's hundreds and hundreds of miles of trails. I was there in January, February and March and it was the lowest snow year on record I believe, but we trailered north to snow the couple times I went. Normally they get a lot of snow around there.

The amount of coyotes around where I was was unbelievable. Literally packs of them. Paths worn into the ground from them. Nobody lets their dogs run, they'd get killed quick. Every house out in the country has a dooryard with a high wire fence just so the dogs can go outside and shit.

Weird area for sure.

Did you bring your skis?

OMG. Iceman snowmobiles in jeans!

No all my shit is in Utah, I went out there a couple times. I brought hockey skates but didn't get much use out of them, it was a weird warm winter in the east that year. Or at least in the northern Mohawk Valley it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What the hell were you doing there? I used to drive through it a fair amount, and downtown was like a ghost town. It emptied so fast it didn't have time to go ghetto. Nice spot, though.
    ha, I was involved in this weird project that didn't pan out. While I was there the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame moved from Amsterdam to Wichita Falls, Texas. We were so bored we had finally decided to go check it out and we drove down there and it had closed two days before.

As far as the spot, yeah you can see why they settled there. River right there, up on a bluff overlooking it, good farmland in the river bottoms, decent pasture in the hills, lots of timberland to the north. But it's like somebody set off a neutron bomb in the city except on the outskirts where it's all Walmart and shit.

i have driven route 8 and route 30 many times over the years and you know land is cheap there because there are Amish farmers in the area

One day while I was there I went out for a drive just to get away for a bit, just driving, and I came around a corner and this barn was just burning like a motherfucker. Straight up blazing. Nobody around. I banged on the door of the house next to it and nobody answered. I had no cell reception, and I didn't even know the name of the road I was on. So I watched it burn for a while and went on my way.

One day while I was there I went out for a drive just to get away for a bit, just driving, and I came around a corner and this barn was just burning like a motherfucker. Straight up blazing. Nobody around. I banged on the door of the house next to it and nobody answered. I had no cell reception, and I didn't even know the name of the road I was on. So I watched it burn for a while and went on my way.
    Everyone was probably out at the sauerkraut festival.

The people they don’t know upstate think this is a bad joke. Those that know are nodding yes.

This checks out based on my experiences in lovely Warren County, NY. Actually, I just realized how weird it is that my parents have two homes in two different states, but they're both in Warren County.

hey now - i'm from warren county - laughing

warren county isn't the worst duty - you can commute to saratoga or albany for work and live minutes away from lake george

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    hey now - i'm from warren county - laughing

warren county isn't the worst duty - you can commute to saratoga or albany for work and live minutes away from lake george
    Haha, that's one way to look at it I suppose. I had some good turns at Hickory Hill about 15 years ago, do they still turn the surface lift on at that place from time to time? They have a place near Loon Lake, I skied at Gore a lot as a kid, and Oscar's bacon is part of my genetic makeup.

I always preferred the areas further north and in the High Peaks: it felt that much colder and more isolated.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Yeah, this is not about some sort of fucking state of mind. The fact is Upstate New York is not the fucking City of New York. The folks up here hate them folks down there, and those folks down there don’t understand why the fuck we are up here in the first place. They find us mildly amusing at best.

The line is where the city ends. It’s up to those fuckers on that line to defend that line at all costs. That way the rest of us can get on with enjoying life n shit without them fuckers getting in our fucking way.....

upstate New York actually is in upstate New York.......

This is fact.
    Beautiful shots in that clip. That climate resonates with me.

We should probably leave that out of the Pure Upstate campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Everyone was probably out at the sauerkraut festival.

The people they don’t know upstate think this is a bad joke. Those that know are nodding yes.
    My problem is I’m not close enough to a sauerkraut festival. Fuck, I miss the days when I had the largest Oktoberfest outside Munich in my backyard. Sauerkraut balls, tube meats, pretzels and tasty beers galore. Man I could go for some of that right now.
    I still call it The Jake.

amish lightning.....

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Haha, that's one way to look at it I suppose. I had some good turns at Hickory Hill about 15 years ago, do they still turn the surface lift on at that place from time to time? They have a place near Loon Lake, I skied at Gore a lot as a kid, and Oscar's Bacon is part of my genetic makeup.

I always preferred the areas further north and in the High Peaks: it felt that much colder and more isolated.
    hickory is pretty hit or miss on whether they open. I skied there about ten years ago and I know they were open after that

gore has really improved

I had a blast in my teens partying at the Garrison in Lake George and in Saratoga at the Tin and Lint and a truly memorable night after "white night" at the Golden Grill which resulted in me spending the night in jail

My problem is I’m not close enough to a sauerkraut festival. Fuck, I miss the days when I had the largest Oktoberfest outside Munich in my backyard. Sauerkraut balls, tube meats, pretzels and tasty beers galore. Man I could go for some of that right now.
    We covered the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area a page ago.