Page 308 of 508 FirstFirst ... 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... LastLast
Results 7,676 to 7,700 of 12676
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Bwah!

Don't forget there's the Chick Fia A and highway exit separating NE Ohio from WNY.

another season of clinton’s ditch starts now….

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA929C3E-326F-4FDE-8137-561CBDAAC3C5.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	891.1 KB 
ID:	416911

Nice. Always enjoy the canal stoke.

Don’t forget to share the first Capt. Jerry that manages to wreck in the lock.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by bonewrenched View Post
    Gonna be in Port Jervis for the weekend for a wedding. Any must-do's?
    Not much there really--it's pretty Upstate. Maybe grab some lottery tickets at the Mobil station then drive the Hawks Nest, just be careful, a cop sometimes sits on the north end trying to catch speeders. Once you get past the kill zone, the drive up Rt97 for a while is very scenic along the Delaware River. Warwick which is about 30 mins east of PJ has some nice little shops and a few restaurants.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

A quick look at the Googles tells me there's plenty of fun waiting to be had.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 282
Size:  110.4 KB

Yeah, you really should stay on the NY side if you're all dressed up for a wedding.

Is there Amish to be concerned about on the Pennsylvania part that area?

I don't think they venture that far east.

The other thing Port Jervis has going for it is incredible mountain biking. For details stop into the new bike shop downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    another season of clinton’s ditch starts now….

Name:	AA929C3E-326F-4FDE-8137-561CBDAAC3C5.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	891.1 KB 
ID:	416911
    Just read a book called River Horse. Guy takes a C dory from New York to the Pacific. Was thinking about this thread while he talks about his part of the journey through the canal system to Erie.

Never been to the upstates but this thread fascinates me.(grew up in Illinois and never made further east than ohio)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Just read a book called River Horse. Guy takes a C dory from New York to the Pacific. Was thinking about this thread while he talks about his part of the journey through the canal system to Erie.

Never been to the upstates but this thread fascinates me.(grew up in Illinois and never made further east than ohio)

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the heads up.

I dove down "The Great Loop" rabbit hole several years ago when, after years of seeing southbound boats pass in front of my in-laws' house on Kentucky Lake, and stumbling upon this really well done blog of two girls from Northern Michigan that bought a sailboat and set off on the Loop from Lake Michigan to the Gulf, around Florida, up the ICW and into the Erie Canal back into the Great Lakes.

https://katieandjessieonaboat.com/

The network of canals in our Country are pretty mindblowing, and having grown up next to the Ohio and Erie Canal, they've always been an interest of mine.

William Least Heat Moon wrote River Horse. Once he gets west of St Louis he tries to follow Lewis and Clark's route. Has to ditch the big boat at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I don't think they venture that far east.
    Well that's a relief.

If you’re interested in Canal stories, you really should read the book “The Forestport Breaks”. It’s an absolutely upstate story through and through. Nice summer reading.

Name:  AA91630A-9A25-4EFC-9EA5-BBFD60E6CBBA.jpeg
Views: 295
Size:  31.8 KB

ISBN:

https://www.amazon.com/Forestport-Br.../dp/0815607725

synopsis;

“The Erie Canal was dying. Adirondack sawmills were falling silent. And in the final years of the nineteenth century, the upstate New York town of Forestport was struggling just to survive. Then the canal levees started breaking, and the boom times returned. The Forestport saloons flourished, the town's gamblers rollicked, and the politically connected canal contractors were flush once more. It was all very convenient until Governor Theodore Roosevelt's administration grew suspicious and the Pinkerton National Detective Agency began investigating. They found what a lawman called one of the most gigantic conspiracies ever hatched in New York. In The Forestport Breaks, Michael Doyle illuminates a fresh and fascinating chapter in the colorful history of the Erie Canal. This is the canal's shadowy side, a world of political rot and plotting men, and it extended well beyond one rough and tumble town. The Forestport breaks marked the only time New York officials charged men with conspiring to destroy canal property, but they were also illustrative of the widespread rascality surrounding the canal. For Doyle, there is a story with a personal dimension behind the drama of the canal's historical events. As he uncovered the rise and fall of Forestport, he was also discovering that the trail of culpability led to members in his own family tree.”

Name:	BFBBE9A6-87AD-4609-BED0-5158D5053019.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	416934

this is why, that to this day,
    we still employ bank walkers.

fact.

Well that's a relief.
    Their vehicles don't have that kind of range.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I only peruse this thread periodically so flame me if this has been asked and answered....
    We would never. Upstate is a friendly and welcoming place.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    What part of Upstate is Rochester in?
    There seems to be some dispute between the Finger Lakes, CNY and WNY but nobody seems to be fighting very hard to claim it.

Nice. Always enjoy the canal stoke.

Don’t forget to share the first Capt. Jerry that manages to wreck in the lock.
    Me too. Once MC opens the canal, it’s ok to wear white pants and loafers or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Yeah, you really should stay on the NY side if you're all dressed up for a wedding.
    Lulz. Well good list so far: distillery, lotto, fireworks, distillery again, then wedding.

And exceptional mountain bike trails.

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    William Least Heat Moon wrote River Horse. Once he gets west of St Louis he tries to follow Lewis and Clark's route. Has to ditch the big boat at some point
    Yep. He motors around a canoe for some stretches and does a raft trip for a section of the salmon I believe. His writing style is unique but I enjoyed his depiction of river life.

I'll have to check out m2711s book reco as well.

Yep. He motors around a canoe for some stretches and does a raft trip for a section of the salmon I believe. His writing style is unique but I enjoyed his depiction of river life.

I'll have to check out m2711s book reco as well.

I liked blue highways too if you like his writing.
    A quick look at the Googles tells me there's plenty of fun waiting to be had.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 282
Size:  110.4 KB
    Matamoras? Looks like it was named after Matamoros which is a bit of a fucked up name for a city.

Little did you know you actually made it to Rochester!
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    And exceptional mountain bike trails.
    Not that I'll be biking here, but now not sure if serious given the conflict between the # of TF trails and the lack of meaningful elevation change.

Doubtful, that is Pocono Mountain and Deleware Watershed area. Last time I was through that area was going from E/ Stroudsburg up to Orange Co Wallkill, N.Y and Middletown. It is too far east and north from the heart of Amish country in Lancaster County PA.... and other areas further west that have Amish sections in PA

Doubtful, that is Pocono Mountain and Deleware Water Gap area. Last time I was through that area was going from E/ Stroudsburg up to Orange Co Wallkill, N.Y and Middletown. It is too far east and north from the heart of Amish country in Lancaster County PA.... and other areas further west that have Amish sections in PA