Page 29 of 508 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Upstate NY drivers are not super kind to bikers in my experience.

Or maybe it’s that they aren’t kind to guys in Lycra, generally.

Or both.

I can think of other places I’d rather road ride based on personal experience upstate car dodging whilst wearing Lycra.
    I dunno, "upstate NY" is a pretty big place. I enjoy riding in my little corner of it (northern Essex-Southern Clinton- Eastern Franklin Counties). It's probably less that the drivers are considerate than that they are so few. At least once you're off the State highways.
    Last edited by fhw; 08-05-2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by fhw View Post
    I dunno, "upstate NY" is a pretty big place. I enjoy riding in my little corner of it (northern Essex-Southern Clinton- Eastern Franklin Counties). It's probably less that the riders are considerate than that they are so few. At least once you're off the State highways.
    ^^
    This guy gets it

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Buddy and me hiked 8 miles with a canoe on a home made cart up to Camp Santanoni. Back then it was just an abandoned group of old really cool buildings. Cart broke on the way in but a old dood in a horse drawn wagon showed up on the day we were leaving to pick up another group. He came back a few hours later to take us out. We opened and killed bottle of Jack D between the 3 of us on the ride.

Satanoni in it's heyday had a farm, dairy and 200 employees to keep it running. Trickle down.
    Rad. Searching " Camp Santanoni" took me down a rabbit hole that has me itching to explore all over ADK.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    ^^
    This guy gets it
    It's Willard, so you are being generous about him "getting it". However, I have no doubt he is correct regarding his statement about riding in that area.

I would way rather road ride the many, many little roads in most of upstate NY than the very, very few big roads we have out here.
    But Gravel is better out here with all of the FS roads.
    Last edited by rideit; 08-05-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I would way rather road ride the many, many little roads in most of upstate NY Than the very, very few big roads we have out here.
    But Gravel is better out here with all of the FS roads.
    Yeah, that's the problem with western mountain areas. No safe riding. But the same for the ADK and Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    But the same for the ADK and Vermont.

Umm........wait, what?

^I see you've never ridden in VT when the locals are running late for their third job.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^I see you've never ridden in VT when the locals are running late for their third job with a head full of crank and 5 beers.

FIFY

Crank isn't huge in VT. Heroin is a different story.

Crank junkies vs meth heads, it’s a story as old as time itself.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    FIFY
    Now was that necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wow, I did not know one of the great camps still existed and was used. The fucking driveway is eight miles long! That's not a bad price. Shows you how worthless ADK land is. I wonder what the property tax bill is.
    It would appear that according to the article, it was 15,000 acres larger in the past as well. I guess they sold that part to NYS. That’s a huge chunk on the east coast regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now was that necessary?
    Nothing we do here is necessary. I'm in a shitty mood even by my standards today. I would still rather deal with those folks than the 25 or 30 anti-masking fuckfaces who I'll have to interact with today, all while they refuse to social distance, talk loudly, and cough on me/the documents I need to handle.

I'm in a shitty mood even by my standards day.
    Uh oh. Well good luck out there today. And if it helps any just know I'll be here most of the day. Either here or the gopher thread.

It would go a long way if anyone I worked with/folks in management acknowledged the reality that field work is a lot more stressful/complicated/risky than it was prior to COVID. I have many coworkers who have not come into the office once since March 15, and who likely won't have to come in before the end of this year, but I get to have a couple dozen people invade my personal space every day, 5 days a week.

A simple thank you, or even just some acknowledgement of the added stress would go a long way. Instead, I have people telling me how good it is to have things be "back to normal" w/r/t construction while they've been sitting home for five months. I fucking hate people.

^I see you've never ridden in VT when the locals are running late for their third job.
    And dodging all sorts of potholes and shitty patchwork the long winters create, while trucks get all aggro on your ass, because, hey, it's the only road, and everybody uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Upstate NY drivers are not super kind to bikers in my experience.

Or maybe it’s that they aren’t kind to guys in Lycra, generally.

Or both.

I can think of other places I’d rather road ride based on personal experience upstate car dodging whilst wearing Lycra.
    I've had more problems with cars in colorado than I have in upstate ny however you want to look at it people in colorado are assholes without a doubt I found people in upstate to be genuinely nice (and upfront when they are not going to be nice) not the bullshit pretend nice fake as can be out here

plus you can find empty well paved backroads without any cars pretty easily in ny, over all the road biking is really good in ny, but I'd never move there, I'd rather slit my wrists, visiting for a week is great though

If we're talking about activities that Upstate really shines in, and are not concentrated in the ADKs (ex. backpacking), I'd nominate paddle sports and fishing.

And honestly fred, anybody north of Putnam County isn't doing imported Italian tile backsplashes.

A simple thank you, or even just some acknowledgement of the added stress would go a long way. Instead, I have people telling me how good it is to have things be "back to normal" w/r/t construction while they've been sitting home for five months. I fucking hate people.
    I haven't had to have anything inspected for a while, but I always offered the inspector an ice cold Diet Coke when he stopped by between 10-2 on every other Tues. In a post Covid world I don't know if this would still fly.

And honestly fred, anybody north of Putnam County isn't doing imported Italian tile backsplashes.

I.
    mostly been doing these hand made, glazed, and fired tiles out of south america super nice and spendy like real nice
    just happened to have two extra boxes "fall off the truck" for my house

yeah linolium floors and two piece fiberglass showers are pretty white trash, but make up most of upstate ny bathrooms, most people in upstate have no taste or idea of what high end really is that's ok
    got a nice little 50k project of throwing a 12 ft long bi fold glass door in someones house, these are my kind of people, she just didn't think the great room had enough glass for the view

The Mexicans are giving the Italians a run for their money in the tile biz. As an aside, the Mexican laborers love to use caulk on everything. Those fuckers go through DAP like I've never seen. Whatever happened to precise cuts in the trade? I can kinda sympathize as most of the wood trim is shit today, being warped and such, but there's no excuse for tile and marble.

Tempered glass is heavy so make sure she keeps those sliders lubricated. You don't see a lot of those doors in Tyvek siding country.

always a grey day in teh upstate....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2424E156-978F-4FF9-A2B9-9FC46E7C2A68.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	725.3 KB 
ID:	336512

That sky was photoshopped.

That sky was photoshopped.
    Given the comments on this last page, shouldn't we see more crank in the pic too?
    I still call it The Jake.