Page 22 of 505 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Tell me more...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Geezus, 500+ posts and we are going backward.
    Upstate - everything in NY that isn't part of the NYC bubble. I nominated I-84 as the boundary...so ~60 miles from NYC.
    Upstate can be broken apart into further sub regions...WNY, Finger Lakes, CNY, 'Daks, Catskills, Mohawk Valley, etc.
    You get points for being clever, but up is north and west is west.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 10.18.17 PM.png
Views: 309
Size:  136.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

dude, i went up and made a left. if you want to be a part of ohio just say so
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

If western NY gets a pass then the North Country gets a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    How about a Bocce Club pizza from Buffalo?
    I remember a place called Pizza Junction just north of Buffalo. They had cardboard reinforcements in the box because the pizzas were so heavy. I was playing summer baseball up there and we ate that every night for a whole summer. A single pizza could feed 4, 19-20 yr old guys. I heard years later it closed, either the owner died, or they went bankrupt from all the toppings.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

True upstate NY pizza should be made with Brick cheese, not mozzarella.

There's this place in Oneonta that throws cold cheese on the pizza when it comes out of the oven. Sounds disgusting but somehow it is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    There's this place in Oneonta that throws cold cheese on the pizza when it comes out of the oven. Sounds disgusting but somehow it is ok.
    Dafuq?

It was attached to the Silver Bullet bar I think.

I'll ask my niece, she goes to school there.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

In the late 1990s through early 2000s it was pretty well accepted that anywhere NW of Liberty and Bagels and Pizza were crap. There were a few anomalies, but that was it. Monticello Bagel Bakery serviced all the the hotels during the Catskills boom.. so they had to be legit. Same with a bunch of the pizza places in that area.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quite popular in West Virginia and Ohio valley area as well. Dicarlos pizza has a square type slice of pizza with cold shredded provolone. I’m a pizza maven from former work travel. New haven is tops, but pizza Bianco in Phoenix is great, of course di fara in Brooklyn is great also, but I digress.
    That cold cheese shredded dicarlos is A plus in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    In the late 1990s through early 2000s it was pretty well accepted that anywhere NW of Liberty and Bagels and Pizza were crap. There were a few anomalies, but that was it. Monticello Bagel Bakery serviced all the the hotels during the Catskills boom.. so they had to be legit. Same with a bunch of the pizza places in that area.
    I heard the families at Kellermans could be quite discerning with their bagels.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Quite popular in West Virginia and Ohio valley area as well. Dicarlos pizza has a square type slice of pizza with cold shredded provolone. I’m a pizza maven from former work travel. New haven is tops, but pizza Bianco in Phoenix is great, of course di fara in Brooklyn is great also, but I digress.
    That cold cheese shredded dicarlos is A plus in my book.

This is how far we have sunk where WV is used as an example for any kind of culinary goodness.

Upstate pizza? Meh.

Brick cheese and cupping pepperonis are good starts, but they belong on a proper Detroit pie, not the slop that Buffalo & ROC serve up. Yes, there were a few gems (Acme at 1am!), but I was generally underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    This is how far we have sunk where WV is used as an example for any kind of culinary goodness.
    It might be a culinary paradise compared to VT.

You have a point there, but, WV is also a perennial top five obese state. I guess that's what happens when you dump cold cheese on pizza.

There is no more upstate food item than a fat bag from Sergi's.

Medium pepperoni rolled up, deep fried, and served with a side of ranch and some "don't call it a fat bag you drunk fuck" salty Italian attitude.
    Live Free or Die

It might be a culinary paradise compared to VT.
    Ok, that's a bridge too far. Please see yourself out.

Maybe S. VT. I haven't eaten up in Burlington but a few times.

All you need to know is people think the Man Of Kent is good food before crossing over the border.

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You have a point there, but, WV is also a perennial top five obese state. I guess that's what happens when you dump cold cheese on pizza.
    I’ve always noticed the fattest people I meet claim to never eat. But I’ve been in update NY, no shortage of fatties either. Nic Tahou garbage plates and Tom wahls will do that to you over a cold winter

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I’ve always noticed the fattest people I meet claim to never eat. But I’ve been in update NY, no shortage of fatties either. Nic Tahou garbage plates and Tom wahls will do that to you over a cold winter

It’s hard to exercise when the thermometer reads negative for 5 straight days. And it’s overcast. And there’s 3 feet of snow on the ground. And drivers try to hit runners and bikers.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    It’s hard to exercise when the thermometer reads negative for 5 straight days. And it’s overcast. And there’s 3 feet of snow on the ground. And drivers try to hit runners and bikers.
    Still remember that week living in Cleveland back in 97 or 98 while in grad school where the thermometer didn't get above zero for a freakin week. My wife (then girlfriend) and I had an apartment in the basement of a swanky brownstone. Couldn't afford the upstairs units. And the landlord couldn't afford to heat the basement apparently. Never experienced anything similar since.

Cold? Yes
    Overcast? Sure can be.
    Snow. ~100 inches a year is just enough to nordic ski and not enough for make travel a constant pain.

I bet my kids the other day that in their lifetime ROC will have a winter without measurable snow accumulating on the ground.

You guys may have stumbled onto a good metric for where upstate starts. If you can find decent pizza, you’re downstate. I don’t think it changes the borders much.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    There's always an excuse.