Page 356 of 508 FirstFirst ... 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... LastLast
Results 8,876 to 8,900 of 12686
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Haha, well, sort of. It starts when you see the 'Welcome to the Bronx' sign in your rearview on the other side of 87N.
    FIFY. Whole thread is odd since there's really no controversy whatsoever, just some disgruntled types in the netherlands who are upset at being lumped in with their cross-state brethren.
    [quote][//quote]

^ Where we live now may not be where we've always lived...

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    FIFY. Whole thread is odd since there's really no controversy whatsoever, just some disgruntled types in the netherlands who are upset at being lumped in with their cross-state brethren.
    You idiot, what does the Netherlands have to do with this?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You idiot, what does the Netherlands have to do with this?
    Duh. They’re upcountry Not upstate

Listen, if we put it to a vote, the downstate population would overwhelm us and the line would probably be Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. On the other hand, most of Rockland, Westchester and a good portion or Orange County’s population commutes into the city every day to work. Some times it feels like half my town works for the NYPD or FDNY. As Benny pointed out very early on, some folks commute from Dutchess County. I think Rt 6 in Westchester and Seven Lakes drive on my side of the river is pretty spot on. While we may never reach consensus on this, let’s throw out the baby with the bath water.

As for WNY and the north country trying to deny their upstate-ness, well, come on. We all called bullshit on that from the start. It’s all upstate.

If it is a democratic process, It is not only up to upstaters to vote, it is open to all New Yorkers, and if the majority say Van Cortlandt, so be it.

The attempts by southern upstaters to deny their upstateness is hilarious.

It may not be AS upstate as others but they are upstate

So...
    Downstate money makes the rules
    Downstate votes determine the direction of the state
    And
    Downstate's self perceived superiority allows their ignorance to win the argument

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    If it is a democratic process, It is not only up to upstaters to vote, it is open to all New Yorkers, and if the majority say Van Cortlandt, so be it.

The line is, as stated earlier, White Plains. This is supported by NYC's attempts to annex Mount Vernon, Yonkers, and the rest of southern Westchester in 1894 just as the Bronx had been spliced off 20 years earlier. The Bronx River becomes the Taconic at that point, and there are no more express trains going north after White Plains because if you're in the country of upstate then there is no hurry.

Rockland has always been upstate, and if people commute from the moon then that is upstate too.

Of course, I would rather give away that slice of Westchester than fight anyone, so your move Upstate.

So...
    Downstate's superiority allows them to win
    Yes
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I was born in Plattsburgh and grew up in CNY, the Hudson Valley and the Capital District. Even if I moved to Hollywood, I would still be an upstater- couldn’t wash it off if I wanted to- which I don’t. I married a Rockland girl and that’s where I live now. Nice people around here for sure but they are not my people. Its not the city obviously but it sure seems like downstate. It has more in common with Long Island than it does with upstate. And Westchester… definitely downstate.

So...
    Downstate money makes the rules
    Downstate votes determine the direction of the state
    And

Downstate's self perceived superiority allows their ignorance to win the argument

Nope
    You don't understand how democracy do you?

Sounds like a rural voter from a small population state getting their tactical panties in a bunch that their chosen way of life is not the law of the land and the big bad cities with their tens of millions of people carry more political weight than they do.

Sorry gravitylover, that comes across harsher than I intended, I am participating in this conversation squarely tongue in cheek, as I left NY to Tahoe in 1994, but I will always be an opinionated NYer at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I was born in Plattsburgh and grew up in CNY, the Hudson Valley and the Capital District. Even if I moved to Hollywood, I would still be an upstater- couldn’t wash it off if I wanted to- which I don’t. I married a Rockland girl and that’s where I live now. Nice people around here for sure but they are not my people. Its not the city obviously but it sure seems like downstate. It has more in common with Long Island than it does with upstate. And Westchester… definitely downstate.
    nyack = plattsburgh
    ramapo = keene valley
    kiryat joel = ???

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    nyack = plattsburgh
    ramapo = keene valley
    kiryat joel = ???
    I’m not even touching that

It’s afternoons like this that make me worried about the progress we are making in this thread.

But then I realize that, like a good Whitesburo dive bar, it takes time to forge a high quality outcome. This shit doesn’t happen overnight.

And then I also realize that putting the word dive in front of the word bar is completely unnecessary when it comes to Whitesburo.

And we get a little closer to the definition yet again.

Yep

You don't understand how democracy do you?

Sounds like a rural voter from a small population state getting their tactical panties in a bunch that their chosen way of life is not the law of the land and the big bad cities with their tens of millions of people carry more political weight than they do.
    No just watching the dumb shit that's going around and getting frustrated.
    Sorry gravitylover, that comes across harsher than I intended, I am participating in this conversation squarely tongue in cheek, as I left NY to Tahoe in 1994, but I will always be an opinionated NYer at heart.
    I get it. I left for 10 years and lived all over, from AZ to AK and 5 other states in between and never was able to fully lose "it". Sounds like you moved to Tahoe right after I left.

So after a little Dexter and ML threadfuckery can we get back to our regularly random stuff? Tomorrow I'll be headed from the southern borderlands straight to the farthest north point, north of the North Country even! Then I'll be headed west through the cheap weed zone and then hopefully finding a crash spot in the hinterlands northwest of the Daks. Big day...

Yep

No just watching the dumb shit that's going around and getting frustrated.
    i just saw A LOT of dumb shit in the middle of upstate. in fact, i think the ozarks took over lake george. has anyone checked the southern border, is it intact?

i just saw A LOT of dumb shit in the middle of upstate. in fact, i think the ozarks took over lake george. has anyone checked the southern border, is it intact?
    What are we talking here? Fat guys in flag tshirts getting drunk? Monster trucks in the Walmart parking lot? Klan rally? Suburbanites hiking in sneakers? I can’t tell by your statement whether I’m supposed to be amused, impressed, angry or genuinely offended. I mean it could go a bunch of different ways. Also, where were you?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    this is the dividing line. Westchester is Westchester. Anything north of that is upstate. As someone who grew up in the city, I know that this is the correct answer.

Rockland County is really the only place up for debate, but most of us are mostly unaware that it even exists, so maybe we don't have to debate it.
    I thought I settled this one 2 years ago.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Lake George Village, a far cry from my usual trips to the Adirondacks.

Lake George Village, a far cry from my usual trips to the Adirondacks.
    Ah, ok. Drunk guys in flag tshirts then. Possibly in pontoon boats.

I can confirm at least one point of the Southern boarder is in tact. That is the Thruway and I-90 portion. But then it is not like the Mexico and US boarder or even like the Canada and US boarders that are monitored at regular check points or anything. There really is no threat that I have heard of from say PA which is the largest portion of it...

Can you buy utica club? You’re upstate. You can’t ? You’re not.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Intact is a word. Upstate is an ecological intellectual concept.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

So we’re back to “somewhere between the Bronx and I 90.” Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Listen, if we put it to a vote, the downstate population would overwhelm us and the line would probably be Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. On the other hand, most of Rockland, Westchester and a good portion or Orange County’s population commutes into the city every day to work. Some times it feels like half my town works for the NYPD or FDNY. As Benny pointed out very early on, some folks commute from Dutchess County. I think Rt 6 in Westchester and Seven Lakes drive on my side of the river is pretty spot on. While we may never reach consensus on this, let’s throw out the baby with the bath water.

As for WNY and the north country trying to deny their upstate-ness, well, come on. We all called bullshit on that from the start. It’s all upstate.
    I thought we settled on Rt 6/ Seven Lakes ages ago.