Page 63 of 508 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 12681
    As mentioned I am basically a 'cuse kid. While born in Geneva the majority of my time was spent in syracuse. Every holiday and a few weeks during the summer. Lots of family is still in that area. Mom and dad met at Solvay high, and dad was a lifeguard at Solvay pool. The roots run deep. The state fair was a yearly event for me until I was about 16.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

so, which was your favorite butter sculpture?

https://www.syracuse.com/statefair/2...ge_photos.html

this gets my vote.

Name:  9A3A469F-6B35-4654-B6EA-76FC51B5F0DA.jpeg
Views: 548
Size:  88.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    As mentioned I am basically a 'cuse kid. While born in Geneva the majority of my time was spent in syracuse. Every holiday and a few weeks during the summer. Lots of family is still in that area. Mom and dad met at Solvay high, and dad was a lifeguard at Solvay pool. The roots run deep. The state fair was a yearly event for me until I was about 16.

OMG I got laid a bunch at Wells college. It was an amazing honeypot. Good times...and a beautiful part of the state.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

That's my mom's side of the family. The pic is my father's father so no shenanigans unless there is a czech mafia I'm unaware of. Lol

Nice Czech family. Well done. I wonder if they knew mine. Probably not cause they weren't in upstate. Also ours were technically from Bohemia.

Yes, no Czech mafia. Unfortunately.

Our Upstate roots run deep on grandma Cole's side.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan Cole Pension request (1).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1,020.7 KB 
ID:	349044
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So what part of upstate would you all consider the (most) forgotten zone. The region that's barely even a drive through for most people, where the towns aren't really towns anymore and you can hear the faint whisper of banjos on the breeze.
    Drive 88 from Binghamton to Schenectedy.
    I’ve been all over ny. There are towns there I had never heard of. Shenevus? Beautiful drive through

Yeah. That stretch of road is designated scenic on my old Rand McNally maps. All the stuff north along almost the entire length is some of the finest road biking anywhere.

Edit: Damn, I just checked Amazon, and this book is still available. It's a pretty awesome bible to that area. Pre gps and ridewithgps and strava.

https://www.amazon.com/Cranks-Cooper.../dp/0966263812

That's my mom's side of the family. The pic is my father's father so no shenanigans unless there is a czech mafia I'm unaware of. Lol
    You never heard of the Bad Czechs??

I’ll have to Czech ‘em out

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Google Roseboom, NY, but not while you’re in Roseboom. You won’t get a connection anywhere in the whole valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    I’ve been all over ny. There are towns there I had never heard of. Shenevus? Beautiful drive through
    that’s right where Roseboom is

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    You never heard of the Bad Czechs??
    I regret to inform you that you have been banned from this thread for 72 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I’ll have to Czech ‘em out
    You too.

My work is done here.
    Czech, please!

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    I agree, the I-88 corridor and alot of the triangle between 88 and 81 might as well be Kentucky. Gotta love a town called Butternuts.

The tundra north of the ADKs is also a no man's land. Some really freaking weird places up there. Like pay someone $200 and make someone disappear strange. Some of those little towns north of 11 make St. Regis falls feel like a modern boom town.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's fiddles playing in some spots in the Taconics, especially as you get up north of the Slate Valley along the VT border and keep going up 22 but northern Dutchess and Columbia Counties have some worn out zones that keep up with the best of 'em. What about some of the valleys on the NW side of the Catskills? Dead zone. South and west of Ellicotville - never never land. Yup north of the Daks is the home of the strange.

I think overall the Taconics is the most underutlized and biggest forgotten zone in the state. They run from my area to north of Lake George so well over 200 miles and man, you can get deep into some hidden hollows and find old towns and stone shelters built into the hills and weird Kentucky kinda shit. The VT side has it's own down home charm and the highest peaks in the range.

There's fiddles playing in some spots in the Taconics, especially as you get up north of the Slate Valley along the VT border and keep going up 22 but northern Dutchess and Columbia Counties have some worn out zones that keep up with the best of 'em. What about some of the valleys on the NW side of the Catskills? Dead zone. South and west of Ellicotville - never never land. Yup north of the Daks is the home of the strange.

I think overall the Taconics is the most underutlized and biggest forgotten zone in the state. They run from my area to north of Lake George so well over 200 miles and man, you can get deep into some hidden hollows and find old towns and stone shelters built into the hills and weird Kentucky kinda shit. The VT side has it's own down home charm and the highest peaks in the range.
    I’m a big fan of Washington County, NY. Real farmers, beautiful views, and even a decent brewery or two.

Awesome road biking, too. A big gravel/paved event happens there every year, the Tour of the Battenkill.

One year I purposefully chose backroads only leaving E’ville headed west until I hooked up with the Lake Erie Scenic Route. There’s little forgotten town squares no bigger than a postage stamp, all pretty much boarded up, but you’d see a few people sitting on falling-down porches, in the dead of winter, pulling on their smokes and leering at you as you drive by.

Makes you wonder what they hell they do to live there. Like the northern version of railroad-stop ghost towns in the rural South. Creepy and mysterious at the same time.
    I still call it The Jake.

See that's what I'm talking about and I think upstate NY has more of it than pretty much anywhere else north of I70 (except maybe PA). Totally worn out and nearly turned to dust places that used to matter is a hallmark of the region.

Mt. Equinox FTW!!!

Is Equinox in the Taconics or Greens? Is Rt 7 the geological break between the ranges over there? I know it is in NW Mass but further south it's Rt 22 and north it's VT 30.

Scattered week coming up, gonna do a nice roundabout the Upstate zones, gotta hit western, central and southern tier in this shortened week. I have a feeling western is gonna get put off again, damn state is so big...

See that's what I'm talking about and I think upstate NY has more of it than pretty much anywhere else north of I70 (except maybe PA). Totally worn out and nearly turned to dust places that used to matter is a hallmark of the region.
    Richard Russo captures this better than anyone else, IMO. Might have to do some reading in honor of this thread.

BC13 took my first choice with the odd towns north of the 'Daks. Malone, NY is a weird place.

I'd also nominate some of the backwoods towns of Alleghany & Steuben County...Troupsburg, Whitesville, Addison, Alma, etc

Is Equinox in the Taconics or Greens? Is Rt 7 the geological break between the ranges over there? I know it is in NW Mass but further south it's Rt 22 and north it's VT 30.

Scattered week coming up, gonna do a nice roundabout the Upstate zones, gotta hit western, central and southern tier in this shortened week. I have a feeling western is gonna get put off again, damn state is so big...
    Geologically, it's in the Taconic range. Human constructed artifacts do not determine mountain ranges. Greylock in MA is also in the Taconics, geologically, even though it gets lumped into the Berkshires.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    so, which was your favorite butter sculpture?

https://www.syracuse.com/statefair/2...ge_photos.html

this gets my vote.

Name:  9A3A469F-6B35-4654-B6EA-76FC51B5F0DA.jpeg
Views: 548
Size:  88.5 KB
    Butter sculpture reference is hard f’n core upstate son. Founding member of the FUNK club (fuggin upstate ny klub).