Page 319 of 508 FirstFirst ... 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,975 of 12681
    good for him, it keeps the line shorter at the ridge…

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    good for him, it keeps the line shorter at the ridge…
    Heh. I'll be sure to pass that on if I see him. Glass always got something in it.

Upstate gofundme to transplant Vail to Tug Hill?

@riser Lol at the waste of snow thing. It's almost true.

I like traveling around this time of year. All of the greenery kind of hides the Upstate within the Upstate and let's your eyes focus on the place rather than the details.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    @riser Lol at the waste of snow thing. It's almost true.

I like traveling around this time of year. All of the greenery kind of hides the Upstate within the Upstate and let's your eyes focus on the place rather than the details.
    Would you say that's blue tarp camouflage?
    I still call it The Jake.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    My dad used to call Tyvek "Washington County Siding"

I drove out to mid Nassau County for an in-office sales meeting for the first time since Covid started and overheard one of our city people say to a newish executive “You live someplace way upstate don’t you?” And she answered “Yeah, Mahopac. It’s not THAT far, though.”

I share because 1. It supports the theory that city people always put the line further south than actual upstaters and 2. It also supports GL’s thesis that Route 6 is the divider. Mahopac is just a bit north of Yorktown.

My sister, humbly being an Upstate badass again…

https://women-gender-studies.hamilto...ArJ0&fs=e&s=cl
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Would you say that's blue tarp camouflage?
    Effectively, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I drove out to mid Nassau County for an in-office sales meeting for the first time since Covid started and overheard one of our city people say to a newish executive “You live someplace way upstate don’t you?” And she answered “Yeah, Mahopac. It’s not THAT far, though.”

I share because 1. It supports the theory that city people always put the line further south than actual upstaters and 2. It also supports GL’s thesis that Route 6 is the divider. Mahopac is just a bit north of Yorktown.
    Funny how the people down there want the line further south and here (in Mahopac) people want it further north. Many people here don't even think that 84 is far enough.

Upstate as fuck. Or ADK if you want to argue. But the upstate humour is good.

Was just visiting some people at Mohegan Lake. What say y'all, upstate?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I say no but maybe upstate adjacent

The immediate Rt 6 corridor is definitely not but within a mile north of 6 it is.

Did you hear blue tarps or see banjos?

^^ Canopus Hollow is just a few minutes from there. When you go through you can hear random banjo AND fiddle sounds floating through the trees.

didn't realize I was still in Westchester County (barely), so yeah, not upstate I guess. As a New Yawker, Westchester is often jokingly referred to as "upstate" because it annoys the Westchesterites to no end, but we always recognized that there's the city, Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx (nobody acknowledges Staten Island), and then Westchester, and everything else is upstate. You may be wondering where Rockland County fits into this, but most NYers simply don't think about Rockland County.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It’s funny. This is literally the north side of Rt 6 in Mohegan Lake and it’s been this way for months. It’s like it’s the official boundary.

Name:  2449CAEF-CAB2-450A-B3FD-E90648231038.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  152.2 KB

I think I still put it at the northern border of Westchester to Bear Mountain Bridge, down the west edge of Harriman park to the NJ border so Rockland county is downstate but Putnam and Orange are upstate.

didn't realize I was still in Westchester County (barely), so yeah, not upstate I guess. As a New Yawker, Westchester is often jokingly referred to as "upstate" because it annoys the Westchesterites to no end, but we always recognized that there's the city, Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx (nobody acknowledges Staten Island), and then Westchester, and everything else is upstate. You may be wondering where Rockland County fits into this, but most NYers simply don't think about Rockland County.
    Lulz.

We never drove on 6, we were on the Taconic and got off the exit just before, but I was literally a half mile from the BP station.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post

I think I still put it at the northern border of Westchester to Bear Mountain Bridge, down the west edge of Harriman park to the NJ border so Rockland county is downstate but Putnam and Orange are upstate.
    Now I will defer to the experts here, but upstate to me would not include places you can commute to NYC to for work.
    Monroe/Middletown area in Orange county is full of older NYPD & FD familys that bought homes there and commute into the city.
    ya gotta be north of the Northern CT or NJ border for me to feel its upstate

Putnam and Orange are as far as NYC EMS employees are allowed to live. That goes back at least 50 years but before that it was Westchester on this side and I don't remember what it was on the other side. They want them within 1 hour (or so) if the shit hits the fan. They were able to extend it when 684 went in on this side. There's a noticable cultural shift south of there that we seem to have keyed in on, we talked about the commute boundaries 200 pages ago and moved on.

Here's another parameter for us to consider. What about the lakes and summer communities? Starting back in the late 1800s, as the trains moved up the Hudson Valley, summer only communities developed around the usable lakes. There were a few in Northern Westchester and Western Rockland but they were really a thing in Putnam and Orange. As the 20th Century prosperity in the NY metro was in full swing whole towns popped, big resorts were built and everyone wanted to go Upstate for the weekend. We came up here for Dude Ranches, my aunt and uncle (the Dr) came up from Stuyvesant Village on the train starting in the 1940s when he got home from WWII and built his practice up. They'd walk to the hotel on the lake and he would fish for days. They always said they were going Upstate and sometimes we'd come up and go to the beach (it sucked) or I'd go play golf with dad. We were - Upstate. Something to consider :shrug:

@Brownski - I drive past that at least once a week and laugh every time as I too consider it the embodiment of the boundary. When you go 1 mile north, into Put Valley, it turns Upstateish right away.

Danno, dude... You're in our zone and you don't let us know you're coming? Fail

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Putnam and Orange are as far as NYC EMS employees are allowed to live. That goes back at least 50 years but before that it was Westchester on this side and I don't remember what it was on the other side. They want them within 1 hour (or so) if the shit hits the fan. They were able to extend it when 684 went in on this side. There's a noticable cultural shift south of there that we seem to have keyed in on, we talked about the commute boundaries 200 pages ago and moved on.

Here's another parameter for us to consider. What about the lakes and summer communities? Starting back in the late 1800s, as the trains moved up the Hudson Valley, summer only communities developed around the usable lakes. There were a few in Northern Westchester and Western Rockland but they were really a thing in Putnam and Orange. As the 20th Century prosperity in the NY metro was in full swing whole towns popped, big resorts were built and everyone wanted to go Upstate for the weekend. We came up here for Dude Ranches, my aunt and uncle (the Dr) came up from Stuyvesant Village on the train starting in the 1940s when he got home from WWII and built his practice up. They'd walk to the hotel on the lake and he would fish for days. They always said they were going Upstate and sometimes we'd come up and go to the beach (it sucked) or I'd go play golf with dad. We were - Upstate. Something to consider :shrug:

@Brownski - I drive past that at least once a week and laugh every time as I too consider it the embodiment of the boundary. When you go 1 mile north, into Put Valley, it turns Upstateish right away.

Danno, dude... You're in our zone and you don't let us know you're coming? Fail
    He's like that. Not the first time. I am sure he has his reasons, but he doesn't get a pass forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Now I will defer to the experts here, but upstate to me would not include places you can commute to NYC to for work.
    Monroe/Middletown area in Orange county is full of older NYPD & FD familys that bought homes there and commute into the city.
    ya gotta be north of the Northern CT or NJ border for me to feel its upstate
    I have a very good friend that was NYPD and lived in Monroe. After retiring from NYPD, he worked for the Fed Govt for about 18 years. At one point, he actually worked for me but we were friends long before that situation. Still are. He's in Florida now.

Get with the times Danno! This thread hasn't been interested in the border in ages.
    It's all about M27s Utica Club fueled adventures across the Empire state. Everything else is a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I have a very good friend that was NYPD and lived in Monroe. .
    It's crazy, but GLs explanation makes sense.
    First time I came to NY outside the airport I went to visit a friend I worked with in Aspen whose dad was retired NYPD in Monroe.
    Every house on their street was either active or retired NYPD or FD.
    He would definitely not say he was from upstate.