Page 288 of 504 FirstFirst ... 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 ... LastLast
Results 7,176 to 7,200 of 12596
    Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    If I hear that shit I'm calling the cops.
    po po can't save you from reality brother ....

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    “Western NY” is anything west of Columbus Avenue.
    Ha! I used to have people at work point to West NY in NJ on their phone map and say "See, western NY is right there. It's so close you can almost see it"

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Somebody posted that New Yorker cover a while back - I’ve got it on wall in the bathroom at work. Pretty much sums up the average New York City locals perspective on the rest of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Ha! I used to have people at work point to West NY in NJ on their phone map and say "See, western NY is right there. It's so close you can almost see it"
    Excellent Cuban food. Miami north.

We headed up for one last day at Platty. This is what Blockbuster looked like in the morning

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B6514C8-5119-48DC-A7F5-29966AF5C833.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	421.6 KB 
ID:	411049

Last run, in the afternoon

Name:	6BAA0901-EC4C-448B-AF35-BB0D067E3774.jpeg 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	411050

Stopped at the Stewart’s on route 28 and found more evidence that upstate never changes

Name:	B38726FF-2C69-41B7-8450-43B5E8D8F199.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	313.1 KB 
ID:	411051

I gotta say, I don’t know why anyone is looking for outside studies on the boundaries of the Upstates at this point. I think it is clear that this thread is the definitive academic work on the subject.

To be from and about the Upstates you clearly have to be able to hold competing truths in your mind at the same time. Wasn’t that Einstein’s definition of genius? UC and Other Half. That’s what we’re talking about. Old Crow Medicine Show and moe. Syracuse and Utica College. Shingles and blue tarps. Embrace the cognitive dissonance. As someone said it’s about the journey not about the destination. Like quarks, it can’t ever be fully known, but it can be better understood.

On we go. Futhur.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    We headed up for one last day at Platty. This is what Blockbuster looked like in the morning

Stopped at the Stewart’s on route 28 and found more evidence that upstate never changes

- where are you calling from again?

**checks map**

- I dunno, some fucking pay phone in a Stewart’s Upstates, how the fuck should I know!?!
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I gotta say, I don’t know why anyone is looking for outside studies on the boundaries of the Upstates at this point. I think it is clear that this thread is the definitive academic work on the subject.

To be from and about the Upstates you clearly have to be able to hold competing truths in your mind at the same time. Wasn’t that Einstein’s definition of genius? UC and Other Half. That’s what we’re talking about. Old Crow Medicine Show and moe. Syracuse and Utica College. Shingles and blue tarps. Embrace the cognitive dissonance. As someone said it’s about the journey not about the destination. Like quarks, it can’t ever be fully known, but it can be better understood.

On we go. Futhur.
    Occam’s Razor…the boundary is out there

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

**checks map**

- I dunno, some fucking pay phone in a Stewart’s Upstates, how the fuck should I know!?!
    I considered having my son call home just to see if he could figure it out- and recording the process on my phone

completely redundant capability with a reduction in high-end speed.

yep

Does the pay phone have dialtone and really work still?? Many out there in the wild are dead or no phone line and have been disconnected. Saw a pay phone this week - in the visitors lobby of a jail house.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Does the pay phone have dialtone and really work still?? Many out there in the wild are dead or no phone line and have been disconnected. Saw a pay phone this week - in the visitors lobby of a jail house.
    I asked the cashier and she seemed offended, said of course it works and people use it all the time.

I considered having my son call home just to see if he could figure it out- and recording the process on my phone
    It is "modern" payphone from the end of the last century and even has touch tone buttons. If it was an old rotary dialer, then that would have been worth trying and filming, between needing a quarter(s) and all the rotary to spin selecting the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

**checks map**

This.

I asked the cashier and she seemed offended, said of course it works and people use it all the time.
    No Obama phones upstate?

Is that the new definition?

Pay phone in a Stewart’s seems legit.
    . . .

Great place to make a ransom call from.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

On we go. Futhur.
    The problem is the thread asks “Where” but the real discussion is “What” is upstate (with sidetracks into “Who is upstate?”)

Back in the day pre internet I would cold call Stewart's in Indian and long lake to see how much snow the storm was actually putting down. Worked well for Central adk bc skiing.

That’s a nice play right there.

Had a buddy back in same days who would try to convince the marketing dept at every area we went he was reporting for the “maxwell house ski watch “
    and needed a comp ticket.

Wether that was a Real thing or not he sure convinced plenty!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Before cellphones I was at an Upstate sports bar. The place with the satellite dishes streaming every NFL game. I'm sitting in the fake boxing ring downing beers and wings, and about halfway thru the 1PM game, I gotta piss. Dude tells me bathroom is down this narrow hallway on the other side of the bar. The line is like 30 deep--figures--this place is just full of dudes, drinking heavily. I gotta piss real bad, but I wait in line. 20 mins pass and line is getting closer to bathroom door. I then realize there's a payphone on the wall just before the bathroom with dudes calling in bets and I'm standing in that line. There was no line for the bathroom.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Before cellphones I was at an Upstate sports bar. The place with the satellite dishes streaming every NFL game. I'm sitting in the fake boxing ring downing beers and wings, and about halfway thru the 1PM game, I gotta piss. Dude tells me bathroom is down this narrow hallway on the other side of the bar. The line is like 30 deep--figures--this place is just full of dudes, drinking heavily. I gotta piss real bad, but I wait in line. 20 mins pass and line is getting closer to bathroom door. I then realize there's a payphone on the wall just before the bathroom with dudes calling in bets and I'm standing in that line. There was no line for the bathroom.
    Ouch.

Hahaha

Pay phones and free lift tickets... Similar to Aldo's friend in college a bunch of us in my dorm in VT had a thing where we'd go to the ski area marketing office and tell them we were writing a story for the school paper or something like that and would like a ticket to check the place out. Some of them were smart enough to want to confirm that we weren't full of shit so they'd ask for a phone number and contact info so we'd give them the number for the pay phone in the tv room. If you answered the phone before 10am it was understood that it could be one of these calls and you'd play it like you worked in that office or had to transfer the call to the office then someone else would talk. It worked more often than it didn't. I got to ski some cool areas that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I feel your pain

I was thinking the story ended in sink peeing.

The bookie pay phone line? Got me. Lol.
    . . .

A bookie payphone line is pure Upstate.
    I still call it The Jake.