Page 111 of 505 FirstFirst ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 12625
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Four Seasons Resort in Syracuse, would be my bet.
    Its a golf course.
    Is that what used to be called 90 Acres? Isn't it in Fayetteville? I skied there a bunch in junior high.

I'm adding to my personal dividing line (which says if you can hunt there, it's upstate), that if there was a ski area there, it's upstate.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Maybe Brantling Ski Hill 250' Great Lake Effect pow.

http://www.brantling.com/about-brantling.html
    Skied there as a kid

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

it's also perfectly positioned to avoid any accidental sunshine that may occur....

Attachment 363524
    Brilliant. And it turns out aversion to sunshine is an important survival tactic in the upstate. We got some color on our faces yesterday and it may be cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Is that what used to be called 90 Acres? Isn't it in Fayetteville? I skied there a bunch in junior high.
    Yes, technically in Fayetteville, but I thought that might have been too specific.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

dynamite hill gots a full 65’ of drop.... and it’s still free, which is nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A734FB0D-D38C-44FF-AB8D-1BC3E3E2F3B2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	522.7 KB 
ID:	363539

Name:  881CD29D-F35C-4AA7-8DDD-5FF97DFCE03D.jpeg
Views: 488
Size:  34.6 KB

https://poststar.com/news/local/taki...83e6b.amp.html

http://www.nelsap.org/ny/dynamite.html

https://facebook.com/dynamitehill

Ooh, I think we have a winner.
    Dy-no-MITE!

X

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'm adding to my personal dividing line (which says if you can hunt there, it's upstate), that if there was a ski area there, it's upstate.
    So Long Island is Upstate now I guess. The state record buck was taken there in November WITH A BOW. Apparently the guy had seen it on a game cam he put out and went to find it, he saw a big one so he took it but it turned out not to be THE big one and as he came out of his spot the big one appeared so he took that also. Apparently in Suffolk County you can legally take two bucks a day. The first one he shot was a county record then he broke it a minute later by setting the state record. There also used to be 3 ski areas on Long Island, unfortunately two got built over and the one at one of the state parks couldn't get insurance for the lift anymore after about 1982 so they shut down.

My parents have a house about 3 or 4 miles from Dynamite Hill. I've ridden that rope tow. The best skiing is always free skiing, no matter how short the run.

Which puts Orange and Putnam counties in Upstate.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So Long Island is Upstate now I guess. The state record buck was taken there in November WITH A BOW. Apparently the guy had seen it on a game cam he put out and went to find it, he saw a big one so he took it but it turned out not to be THE big one and as he came out of his spot the big one appeared so he took that also. Apparently in Suffolk County you can legally take two bucks a day. The first one he shot was a county record then he broke it a minute later by setting the state record. There also used to be 3 ski areas on Long Island, unfortunately two got built over and the one at one of the state parks couldn't get insurance for the lift anymore after about 1982 so they shut down.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.21.05 AM.png
Views: 478
Size:  96.4 KB

This thread is so amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Brilliant. And it turns out aversion to sunshine is an important survival tactic in the upstate. We got some color on our faces yesterday and it may be cancer.
    It’s a real issue. Good luck.

#Fromthefield

Buddy's wife dropping car for service this am. Never met her, pleasant woman, I'll always stop to talk to a 65 year old lady with a hot tuna hat on.

" Are you going to be able to get this done today? We've got to head to upstate NY for a funeral tomorrow "

Pause , " No problem, with the snow today we'll have time most folks wont make it in for appointments, so plenty of time, no worries at all"

" So uh, sorry to hear about the funeral, where do you have to be tomorrow?"

"Middletown"

" Ahh, ok. Well no worries you'll be fine the roads will be cleared by then"

" I know its not the roads, its the drivers ; just they're all crazy up there, nothing to do all day "

interesting.

What happens in Scotchtown?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Which puts Orange and Putnam counties in Upstate.
    Yes.

And from spending decades on strong island I got schooled. But I figured east and south of the city was not in the discussion.

You know, given the word up.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Yup this actually says there were 5. I skied at Bethpage, the article is wrong about when it closed because I was on it in 1982. There's no way it's 100 vertical feet, no way. I never made it to the others. https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...reas-1.6972780

We could go back to my original criteria as determined by friends on LI when we were growing up - If there are rocks sticking out of the ground it's Upstate. Most of them were thinking where you're going by the Bronx Zoo and bedrock pokes through but then when we were in a bar in Glendale at a GD cover band show someone mentioned the Queens Alps and we were confused. Forest Park of course! So there you go, record deer hunting and rocks. This means that LI is upstate

I always tell the story about moving to Saratoga from Westchester, and a few months in I asked a co worker why I haven't seen any deer anywhere, (I once saw eight by the cross county mall in Yonkers) and he said, because we eat them.

I can legally hunt in my yard with a crossbow...i guess im "upstate"

Thread drift...does anyone know what the largest, contiguous piece of undeveloped land is in Long Island?
    Can you hunt deer there?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post

" I know its not the roads, its the drivers ; just they're all crazy up there, nothing to do all day "

interesting.

What happens in Scotchtown?
    Imagine the terror the canal boat captains must rain down. Talk about nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Thread drift...does anyone know what the largest, contiguous piece of undeveloped land is in Long Island?
    Can you hunt deer there?
    Jones Beach? Montauk?

Either way, I’m sure you’re good to go.
    I still call it The Jake.

Is Long Island part of NYS?
    Things I've heard from the few visiting LI's I've met.

You have malls up here too?!!
    While looking a Lake Ontario, "Is that salt water or fresh water?"

But that was before cell phones and the internet was invented.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Oh, well, those inventions certainly have improved life for all of us.

Except for IT systems installers, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Oh, well, those inventions certainly have improved life for all of us.
    Some of us. Young guy that I worked with in Roch surprised me when he didn't know what was on the other side of Lake Ontario. But it was a Home Depot gig so there is that to consider.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.