Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Woah, who let the sun out?
    Most of the day was more like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2A23CD4-205D-4442-A94C-F49B5A0F799D.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	359402
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	774C3AF6-1C9E-4324-A4F0-F36FFD865E4C.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	359399  

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Ok maybe. How about Rt 6 here on the east side of The River? That splits Peekskill, puts Somers downstate and the hillbilly side of Yorktown in the Upstate. The west side of the river has to drop down to 287 because Nyack is firmly Upstate and there are a few other burgs over there that are definitely Upstate like Florida and Warwick.
    Goshen here. Maybe part of the upstate designation should be if towns are different from villages? I live in the Town of Goshen, we also have the "village" of Goshen, which to many, is just an actual town, shops, food, etc. Florida is next door and my lawyer is in Warwick.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Oh ... we're back on biking in WNY?!? Favorite subject. You think the roads are great? Bring your cross/gravel bike and the world opens up. It ain't the continental divide, but it's damn excellent and there's no one here.

42.624421732559206, -77.54459504212137

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 8.33.00 AM.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	888.9 KB 
ID:	359447

I got it! I just figured out how we're going to designate The Upstate from everywhere else. It's brilliant I tell ya....

A little sluggish on the uptake here.

Stone walls. Somewhere around central Westchester they pretty much fade away. Therefore I posit that where stone walls stop becoming a thing is the line. Sorry that doesn't work on the west side of The River but it works here (and since here is where I am here is what counts).

That just denotes the very rare eastern upstate line, IMO.
    Didn’t we roughly discuss the theory of where Wegman’s ends in the east?
    The other way to look at it is that is where New England’s western border really is.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

That's southern Westchester now, pretty much where stone walls fade out. The Eastern Upstate is pretty intense, it's one that most people don't know much about.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That just denotes the very rare eastern upstate line, IMO.
    Didn’t we roughly discuss the theory of where Wegman’s ends in the east?
    The other way to look at it is that is where New England’s western border really is.
    Wegmans is a slippery slope.
    . . .

We have entertained and possibly too quickly dismissed the "Stewarts Metric®"

Last edited by huckbucket; 01-24-2021 at 06:38 PM.

seeing as how there is more snow in upstate ny than breckenridge right now
    there is more bike on the mind since we have shitty east coast snow like conditions that are the norm in colorado this year so far we only have three plus months of winter anything can happen

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Wegmans is a slippery slope.
    True, seeing as they are in Virginia.

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Upstate isn’t starting within ~30 miles of Manhattan. We keep letting it creep south and it will be at Yankee Stadium by March.

I’m digging in at I-84

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    True, seeing as they are in Virginia.
    And North Carolina.

But then again Benny says the NYC Metro is Boston to DC, so if anything I’d say the presence of a Wegmans means it’s Downstate.

I’d say call their help line but we found out around page 45 how useful that is.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    We have entertained and possibly too quickly dismissed the "Stewarts Metric®"

None in my county and this is absolutely Upstate so that doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Upstate isn’t starting within ~30 miles of Manhattan. We keep letting it creep south and it will be at Yankee Stadium by March.

I’m digging in at I-84
    Fail. I'm about 10 miles south of 84 and as previously stated this is Upstate.

No.

None in my county and this is absolutely Upstate so that doesn't work.

Fail. I'm about 10 miles south of 84 and as previously stated this is Upstate.
    Upstate is the cool kids club. No one is in a rush to wear a ‘Downstater’ badge.

Need to look at a light pollution map, maybe if you’re in the NYC dome, you’re out!

I'm about 10 miles south of 84 and as previously stated this is Upstate.
    That's a manhattan/LI perspective. Growing up in westchester i always considered somewhere in mid/north dutchess to be the crossover. You could see it unfold driving up 22 or the taconic: suburbs to rural & small town; cars on blocks, etc. But i didn't really feel upstate until i saw the dacks from 87 on the drive up to lake champlain. Lake George, Warrensburg, etc. I think "upstate" is a personal thing based on experience and starting point. But those who say Rochester is upstate or fucking Bedford, i have no place in my world for these miseducated cretins.

Upstate is the cool kids club. No one is in a rush to wear a ‘Downstater’ badge.
    !
    This is interesting to me because I was born upstate but now live in the NYC suburbs. When I tell people from the city I went to high school in Troy, they start telling me how they know somebody from near there and while trying to figure out if I met this person it ends up being someone from Buffalo. People from Rockland and Westchester have a better grasp of geography but they don’t consider themselves upstaters. They’re insulted when city people imply that they are. In fact I would bet that most of the Hudson Valley, if asked where upstate was, would name someplace north of them.

Need to look at a light pollution map, maybe if you’re in the NYC dome, you’re out!
    I like the analytical nature of this but I just googled it and the whole eastern seaboard is a giant mess of light pollution. There are very few truly dark spots other then the Great Lakes and Adirondack High Peaks. I’m pretty sure the brightest band (It goes roughly from Boston to DC) is wide enough to cover Albany, which may be the most upstate place on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    That's a manhattan/LI perspective. Growing up in westchester i always considered somewhere in mid/north dutchess to be the crossover. You could see it unfold driving up 22 or the taconic: suburbs to rural & small town; cars on blocks, etc. But i didn't really feel upstate until i saw the dacks from 87 on the drive up to lake champlain. Lake George, Warrensburg, etc. I think "upstate" is a personal thing based on experience and starting point. But those who say Rochester is upstate or fucking Bedford, i have no place in my world for these miseducated cretins.
    Pull up a chair and crack a 12 horse. You're gonna fit in just fine around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    They’re insulted when city people imply that they are. In fact I would bet that most of the Hudson Valley, if asked where upstate was, would name someplace north of them.
    By definition of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post

I like the analytical nature of this but I just googled it and the whole eastern seaboard is a giant mess of light pollution. There are very few truly dark spots other then the Great Lakes and Adirondack High Peaks. I’m pretty sure the brightest band (It goes roughly from Boston to DC) is wide enough to cover Albany, which may be the most upstate place on the planet.
    Ramapo -> Peekskill -> Portchester is a soft line for major light pollution https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#...FFFTFFFFFFFFFF

I like putting a geographical spin on this. The Palisades are a fine SW to NE boundary, as is the Mohonk / Minnewaska area. The Catskills could be a nice buffer, but I'm not going to push the line that far north.

For the southern Upstate border, our only solution is a mile by mile analysis.

I always *sorta* considered Binghamton as ‘upstate-ish’, but now I consider it Southern Tier.

Arguing about where upstate NY starts is like a perpetual motion machine, it's never going to stop. If only we could harness this energy.

We could always consider using the dark blue area on this dreariness map:

Name:	IMG_2240.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	721.7 KB 
ID:	359579

And for those of you thinking this is just a thinly veiled excuse to post this dreariness map, well ... ok, you’re not wrong.

You keep your upstate out of VT!