Page 311 of 505 FirstFirst ... 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 ... LastLast
Results 7,751 to 7,775 of 12625
    good work being done by them folks in utica…

https://www.syracuse.com/living/2022...rial-city.html

yep.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

yep.
    FKNA
    : handclap

THAT'S how America is supposed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    FKNA
    : handclap

THAT'S how America is supposed to work.
    Yeah, it's nice to read some good news this week for sure.

Job well done Upstates.
    I still call it The Jake.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-26 141704.png
Views: 184
Size:  71.9 KB

So the rust belt penetrates the upstates?

Buffalo is rust belt
    Buffalo is WNY
    WNY is Upstates
    Therefore "the rust belt penetrates the Upstates" is true.

Utica is more rust belt like than a lot of the northeast. That's definitely changing though and is noticeable over the last 5 years.

Rust belt is integral. Most upstaters live in small rust belt or former rust belt cities.

Buffalo is rust belt
    Buffalo is WNY
    WNY is Upstates
    Therefore "the rust belt penetrates the Upstates" is true.
    Solid logic there.
    I still call it The Jake.

The rust belt moniker is as much cultural as it is physical location, pretty much like Upstate. While the primary thought is it's places that use salt on the roads so the cars rust it's also the degradation of large metal infrastructure due to long wet periods and stuff just sits and rots. The rust belt reaches into the deep south, rotting old mills and factories etc., and more recently has made it's way right to the PNW coast where road salt has been used extensively for at least 10 years. The cultural aspect is another whole thread...

From Wikipedia:
    "The Rust Belt is a region of the United States that experienced industrial decline starting around 1980. The U.S. manufacturing sector as a percentage of the U.S. GDP peaked in 1953 and has been in decline since, impacting certain regions and cities primarily in the Northeast and Midwest regions of the U.S., including Allentown, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, Jersey City, Newark, Pittsburgh, Rochester, and other areas of New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Upstate New York."

If the floor rotted out of your 1980 subaru and your dad had to get a guy down at the plant to weld in a plate so your feet wouldn't hit the pavement if you got out of the seat = upstate. And after your dad died your neighbor and arborist from VT who gave you a free christmas tree every year took the car, chopped the top off of it and used it to haul logs, more upstate.

Truth.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

yep.
    My twin sister is on the board of Mucc. She is heavily involved. She speaks Thai, Laotian, and Nepali, which has come in very handy. She is amazing.
    https://kathrynruthstam.wordpress.com/

https://sunypoly.edu/news/suny-poly-...women-inc.html
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    oy - this has been covered - it's central NY
    Oy, this HAS been covered, CNY is part of Upstate just like WNY, the ADKS, Capital Dist, etc. No special free passes out of upstate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    My twin sister is on the board of Mucc. She is heavily involved. She speaks Thai, Laotian, and Nepali, which has come in very handy. She is amazing.

So, you are obviously the underachiever here. Very upstate of you to keep up in your own special way. I have a twin sister too BTW. The first boyfriend she had she married, SUNY Geneseo. Wasn't a good choice, but 3 kids later and she has to deal with those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    If the floor rotted out of your 1980 subaru and your dad had to get a guy down at the plant to weld in a plate so your feet wouldn't hit the pavement if you got out of the seat = upstate. And after your dad died your neighbor and arborist from VT who gave you a free christmas tree every year took the car, chopped the top off of it and used it to haul logs, more upstate.

Truth.
    Meh, I am a third generation welder. I spent my youth at the family shop welding floorboards into Mustangs and torsion bar mounts back into Dodge Darts. On Long Island in the 1980s.

1970s shitty Detroit steel knows no boundaries and turned to dust anywhere besides the most arid deserts.

A career well spent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Meh, I am a third generation welder. I spent my youth at the family shop welding floorboards into Mustangs and torsion bar mounts back into Dodge Darts. On Long Island in the 1980s.

1970s shitty Detroit steel knows no boundaries and turned to dust anywhere besides the most arid deserts.
    I put myself through college working in restaurants and 7-11's on the south fork in the late 80's early 90's. That was a lot of miles on my bicycle. I still drive the same car that my mother drove into the shinnacock bay when she was high on chemo radiation and airliner bottles. A plow took off the front corner bumper this winter and there is rust underneath. I felt a little verklempt for her and the salt.

Huge props here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    "The Rust Belt is a region of the United States that experienced industrial decline starting around 1980. The U.S. manufacturing sector as a percentage of the U.S. GDP peaked in 1953 and has been in decline since, impacting certain regions and cities primarily in the Northeast and Midwest regions of the U.S., including Allentown, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, Jersey City, Newark, Pittsburgh, Rochester, and other areas of New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Upstate New York."
    I was going to post how you were just glossing over the lead story - that Wikipedia had a definition of Upstate. Then I read the page. Second sentence starts with “Although the precise boundary is debated…”

And TGR again stands undisputed as the premier academic authority on the subject. Anyone know how to reference/cite this thread on the Wikipedia page?

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Upstate resident for 60 years. Grandpa worked at Harmony Mills as a boy. Great great uncle served in Capt John Downing's Militia with 15 days of active duty at the Battle of Lake Champlain. So deep roots.
    Phhh. Most people that live upstate have similar “qualifications “

I'm an expert on upstate, I can see it from my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Great great uncle served in Capt John Downing's Militia with 15 days of active duty at the Battle of Lake Champlain. So deep roots.
    Which Battle of Lake Champlain? It’s important, trust me. I’ll explain why after you answer.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I was going to post how you were just glossing over the lead story - that Wikipedia had a definition of Upstate. Then I read the page. Second sentence starts with “Although the precise boundary is debated…”
    Yeah, believe me, I hit that link as soon as I saw it. It’s not a bad summary but we’ve already covered everything in the article and then some.

I am not an expert on the upstate. It is like a foreign land I venture into. It is unlike any of the 10 or so states I have lived in so is fascinating culturally and geographically.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Which Battle of Lake Champlain? It’s important, trust me. I’ll explain why after you answer. .
    The one that went on September of 1814.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan Cole Pension request (1).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	417542
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.