Page 235 of 504 FirstFirst ... 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 12596
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    We also used to use beer balls for what was called 'fast fun'. Beer Ball fast fun meant filling an empty one with water and dropping it out of the 5th floor window in our dorm.

Made an exciting landing on the sidewalk
    We played that game too in the late 90s, except it was the 7th floor, and we were still drinking the mini-keg and tossing out tube TVs and other expendable electronics that my roommate had left.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    dodecahedron
    OK ... NOW we've crossed over to words the upstate doesn't recognize. What's next, rhomboid?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    OK ... NOW we've crossed over to words the upstate doesn't recognize. What's next, rhomboid?
    In a sentence: Preparation-H helped his case of rhomboids.

Can you please use that in a tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    We played that game too in the late 90s, except it was the 7th floor, and we were still drinking the mini-keg and tossing out tube TVs and other expendable electronics that my roommate had left.
    Always have to top things don't you? He says 5th floor, and you have to go drop them from the 7th floor.

Well that's nothing. We dropped those fuckers from the CN Tower. Filled the '83 Dodge Omni GLH to the brim with those things and headed across the Peace Bridge, up the Q, then filled them up at a maintenance faucet outside Exhibition Stadium. Tossed them over the side 1800 ft (that's 550 meters in Canadian) and it would be *Bam*,*Bam* as they hit the pavement. People below us running all over the place like chickens in a fox pen. Yeah, those were the days.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Mikey Powell is upstate AF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211202-092909.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	708.1 KB 
ID:	394925  

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    If you're from the outer reaches of Brooklyn or Queens it takes 2 hours or more to get there on the only kind of transpo they know, subways, so that's like someone in the city with a car traveling 2 hours which would put them firmly upstate. Oh and, there's rocks sticking out of the ground so it's Upstate
    When I went to college in the Bronx, one of my roommates was from Staten Island. I could get home (to Albany) faster than he could.

One of my roommates came back to school with a bag full of bottle rockets. My genius idea was to light a handful of them and then drop them out the window, onto the steps by the entrance. The fuses were still burning so they shot off in different directions, ricocheting all over the place. We watched one guy walk up to the door just before they went off. He saw them at the last second and lept about eight feet to get inside before the explosion. In hindsight I’m glad nobody got hurt and nothing burned down. It’s possible I was maybe a little too reckless as a kid.

Always have to top things don't you? He says 5th floor, and you have to go drop them from the 7th floor.

Well that's nothing. We dropped those fuckers from the CN Tower. Filled the '83 Dodge Omni GLH to the brim with those things and headed across the Peace Bridge, up the Q, then filled them up at a maintenance faucet outside Exhibition Stadium. Tossed them over the side 1800 ft (that's 550 meters in Canadian) and it would be *Bam*,*Bam* as they hit the pavement. People below us running all over the place like chickens in a fox pen. Yeah, those were the days.
    Picturing this makes me happy

You didn't launch them with a trebuchet? *FAIL*

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Picturing this makes me happy
    Right?

My bad Timber. I stand, humbly bested.

Right?

My bad Timber. I stand, humbly bested.
    Just the idea of a Dodge Omni filled to the brim with empty beer balls….

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Just the idea of a Dodge Omni filled to the brim with empty beer balls….
    Seems appropriate?

At the risk of Timber calling me out on storytopping, my college roommate and best man at my wedding drove a Dodge Omni in primer grey all through college.

Until he inherited a Chevy Lumina sedan.

Both cars were inspiring in how much abuse they could take.

No beer balls though.

Regrettably.

I have to come clean (lest I become bushwacka and get a reputation of posting made up stuff about myself) and let you know part of that story wasn't true.

It wasn't a Dodge Omni, it was a '87 Porsche Ruf Turbo aka "Yellowbird."

Well actually, it was a Dodge Omni, but we never threw beer balls off the CN Tower...that was just made up...we just drove to Toronto to go drinking.

Now, here's another one you're not gonna believe but I just received 8 Ted's Fish Fry T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Whoever at Matt’s made the beer ball round was an evil genius. The fact that the damn thing rolled was both the beauty and the Achilles heel of the entire system.

If it had been a cube it never would have left us … but it never would have taken off in the first place so there would have been nothing to save.

Every good beer ball story revolves (yeah I said it) around the fact that it is a sphere.
    Even more genius was that they float when tethered to a canoe or tube!

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    Very true.

But, despite the tales of destruction above, for simplicity and impact nothing could match Old Vienna Splits. Little 7oz bottles that were emptied in a single swig and fairly immediately turned into artillery. Like ripping the pin out of a gernade with your teeth, only instead of that it’s just a large gulp of beer.

You know how kids make snow forts across from each other and then stockpile snowballs? That was what a couple of groups with a few cases of splits on each side were like.

The destruction was targeted, impactful, and left a considerable aftermath.

^^weren't there High Life ponies too? Same hand grenade scenario

Well actually, it was a Dodge Omni, but we never threw beer balls off the CN Tower...that was just made up...we just drove to Toronto to go drinking.

Now, here's another one you're not gonna believe but I just received 8 Ted's Fish Fry T-shirts.
    What!?! Christmas come early?

I’m not sure what’s better. Ted’s shirts or Yellowbird.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    Fantastic mental image.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    ^^weren't there High Life ponies too? Same hand grenade scenario
    Yep. Or Mickey’s wide-mouth grenades. EWG is right, don’t give boozers ammunition.

Check out these beauties. It's gonna be a very Merry Christmas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211203_073434713.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	956.8 KB 
ID:	395036

Check out these beauties. It's gonna be a very Merry Christmas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211203_073434713.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	956.8 KB 
ID:	395036
    The Upstate Expedition just got new unis?

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Whoever at Matt’s made the beer ball round was an evil genius. The fact that the damn thing rolled was both the beauty and the Achilles heel of the entire system.

If it had been a cube it never would have left us … but it never would have taken off in the first place so there would have been nothing to save.

Every good beer ball story revolves (yeah I said it) around the fact that it is a sphere.
    They came in a square box that was made out of waxed cardboard so you could fill it with ice

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    They came in a square box that was made out of waxed cardboard so you could fill it with ice
    The Coors beer-ball boxes were particularly flammable too.

I think there used to be Genny splits as well. Chuck’s in Syracuse used to have a split night special where you could get a bucket of splits on ice. There were 2 choices, OV and I think genny as the other. Details are fuzzy as it was also their dead night.

84/85 was my senior year in HS and the peak of the beer ball craze. It’s also the year the Dodge Caravan debuted and my parents thought it’d be good for a family car. 7 high school students and a beer ball on ice made for quite the rolling party.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I think there used to be Genny splits as well. Chuck’s in Syracuse used to have a split night special where you could get a bucket of splits on ice. There were 2 choices, OV and I think genny as the other. Details are fuzzy as it was also their dead night.

84/85 was my senior year in HS and the peak of the beer ball craze. It’s also the year the Dodge Caravan debuted and my parents thought it’d be good for a family car. 7 high school students and a beer ball on ice made for quite the rolling party.
    Can confirm Genny splits.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague