Page 234 of 504 FirstFirst ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 12596
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    If they bring back the beer ball we'll know which one it is
    When posed with an important question, google it, which will direct you to the Upstate authority:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/brewe...%20New%20York.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  62.2 KB
    I still call it The Jake.

I take umbrage with Don Cazentre calling a 31 year love affair a "comet-like fad." That's just bad journalism right there.

Many a college dorm room and frat house in the late '80's was lit by the heavenly warm glow of homemade beerball lamps. I had repurposed one to hold my penny collection until some asshole decided to put a used condom in it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Many a college dorm room and frat house in the late '80's was lit by the heavenly warm glow of homemade beerball lamps. I had repurposed one to hold my penny collection until some asshole decided to put a used condom in it.
    I assume you just left it where it was, full of pennies and all?

My brother went to RIT and his fraternity had an annual smoking paraphernalia design contest/party.

One year some dudes took a beer ball, cut a hole big enough to wear it like a space helmet and affixed a pipe to the front of the helmet. The spaceman would put it on and have a damp towel wrapped around the neck to give it a good seal while someone got a party bowl fired up and screwed it onto the fitting in the front of the helmet. Then an inflated balloon was installed onto the party bowl to provide an 'auto feed' of smoke into the helmet. Not sure how long the flight lasted but I think the user's hair was fairly resonated upon exit.

#engineergames

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I assume you just left it where it was, full of pennies and all?
    It wasn't very full...of pennies.

just now connecting dots on why I couldn't get enough of a matts beer ball in late 80's...

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I take umbrage with Don Cazentre calling a 31 year love affair a "comet-like fad." That's just bad journalism right there.
    Halley's comet comes back every 75 years, so....

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    My brother went to RIT and his fraternity had an annual smoking paraphernalia design contest/party.

One year some dudes took a beer ball, cut a hole big enough to wear it like a space helmet and affixed a pipe to the front of the helmet. The spaceman would put it on and have a damp towel wrapped around the neck to give it a good seal while someone got a party bowl fired up and screwed it onto the fitting in the front of the helmet. Then an inflated balloon was installed onto the party bowl to provide an 'auto feed' of smoke into the helmet. Not sure how long the flight lasted but I think the user's hair was fairly resonated upon exit.

#engineergames
    I like it. All we did at NAU was a bongathon which I won with 139 bong hits in 100 minutes. I was fucked up for like two days after that, couldn't sleep, ate like a fuckin' pig and then crashed for about 30 hours.

How the fuck is the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree from Maryland?

Isn't it in the New York State Constitution that it has to come from Upstate?

oooooh, umbrage

Can we just all take a moment to imagine Don Cazentre enjoying a Peroni while sitting at the Rome Toccolana Club lamenting the Beer Ball fad, and the fact that some Paisans from Cleveland came and whooped their ass on their home turf for the world bocce championship?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I like it. All we did at NAU was a bongathon which I won with 139 bong hits in 100 minutes. I was fucked up for like two days after that, couldn't sleep, ate like a fuckin' pig and then crashed for about 30 hours.
    Very on-brand for an Upstater

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    oooooh, umbrage
    It's not a word you would probably hear Upstate.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

It's not a word you would probably hear Upstate.
    What are we, neanderthals?

They’re from the city. They probably think Maryland IS upstate.

What are we, neanderthals?
    When I worked downtown there was a whole subset of the population that I'd say thinks exactly that. They also think that upstate starts at 110th St.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    When I worked downtown there was a whole subset of the population that I'd say thinks exactly that. They also think that upstate starts at 110th St.
    Harlem is upstate? Who knew.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Nice find.

The only way that could be more upstate is if they used a basic home depot storm door instead the what's on there now.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Isn't it in the New York State Constitution that it has to come from Upstate?
    Last year it had an owl in it. Perhaps they wanted to avoid that this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Nice find.

The only way that could be more upstate is if they used a basic home depot storm door instead the what's on there now.
    If that was actually from Upstate it would have more rust.

I’m a beer ball survivor. I used to put one in a backpack and run the tube up over my shoulder to my mouth. The only reason I’m still here is because when you pass out with a beer ball on your back, you automatically roll on your stomach and can’t choke on your own vomit. I think I invented the Camelback but was too drunk to know it?

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Whoever at Matt’s made the beer ball round was an evil genius. The fact that the damn thing rolled was both the beauty and the Achilles heel of the entire system.

If it had been a cube it never would have left us … but it never would have taken off in the first place so there would have been nothing to save.

Every good beer ball story revolves (yeah I said it) around the fact that it is a sphere.

If it wasn't round, but square, it would have been called the beer cube. Taking a cue from the Beanie Babies craze, I could see creating them in all different shapes such as a 12 sided dodecahedron for a limited time and making them collectible.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If it wasn't round, but square, it would have been called the beer cube. Taking a cue from the Beanie Babies craze, I could see creating them in all different shapes such as a 12 sided dodecahedron for a limited time and making them collectible.
    And you'd get some crossover from the D&D crowd.

We also used to use beer balls for what was called 'fast fun'. Beer Ball fast fun meant filling an empty one with water and dropping it out of the 5th floor window in our dorm.

Made an exciting landing on the sidewalk

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Harlem is upstate? Who knew.
    If you're from the outer reaches of Brooklyn or Queens it takes 2 hours or more to get there on the only kind of transpo they know, subways, so that's like someone in the city with a car traveling 2 hours which would put them firmly upstate. Oh and, there's rocks sticking out of the ground so it's Upstate