Page 206 of 236 FirstFirst ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 5882
  1. #5126
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    DownEast
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    can a ja harry
    I’m assuming that this is undisputedly Upstate? Sure feels weird here in a depressed past-it’s-prime America yet bucolic burgeoning Amish sort of way.

  2. #5127
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    And heís got a drivers license so if one UC leads to another, say, ten UCÖ Iíve got a ride.
    Just well done, all around. Really.

    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    can a ja harry
    If you canít pronounce it, it might be Upstates?
    I still call it The Jake.

  3. #5128
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

    If you canít pronounce it, it might be Upstates?
    Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Iím assuming that this is undisputedly Upstate? Sure feels weird here in a depressed past-itís-prime America yet bucolic burgeoning Amish sort of way.
    Agree on both. What I canít wrap my head around is they moved the baby food factory to Florida, NY. How the hell is that an improvement? Did a consultant come in and say ďwell if you move your operation to Florida itíll save you money on taxes, the regulations are a joke and people there will work for peanutsÖĒ Well, sure, we can do that. Floridaís only like two towns overÖ.

  4. #5129
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,491
    I think the answer lies in the name of the town.
    I still call it The Jake.

  5. #5130
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    4,601
    Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I’m assuming that this is undisputedly Upstate? Sure feels weird here in a depressed past-it’s-prime America yet bucolic burgeoning Amish sort of way.
    undisputed... they sold their used baby food factory to some crackhead from dayton ohio for $200,000 and a promise to "rehab" the place. he stripped out all of the copper wiring, conduit, steel support beams, and other assorted recyclable materials to sell for cash while leaving all of the asbestos and concrete behind. skipped town with the cash and left a toxic dump for the taxpayers to sort out.


    https://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-bu...ut-6860709.php

  6. #5131
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    4,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Agree on both. What I can’t wrap my head around is they moved the baby food factory to Florida, NY. How the hell is that an improvement? Did a consultant come in and say “well if you move your operation to Florida it’ll save you money on taxes, the regulations are a joke and people there will work for peanuts…” Well, sure, we can do that. Florida’s only like two towns over….



    they got tired of the canal running through the factory every couple of years...


  7. #5132
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    4,601
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Just well done, all around. Really.



    If you can’t pronounce it, it might be Upstates?

    it's not just that.... even if you can pronounce it, we will say it different. Thus we have the town of Chili, pronounced chi lie. or the town of Avon, pronounced ave on. it's how we tell which folk belong here and which don't.

  8. #5133
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    it's not just that.... even if you can pronounce it, we will say it different. Thus we have the town of Chili, pronounced chi lie. or the town of Avon, pronounced ave on. it's how we tell which folk belong here and which don't.
    Totally true. I used to work with somebody from Claverack (clav-er-rack) who kept insisting it was pronounced clavírick.

  9. #5134
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,491
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    it's not just that.... even if you can pronounce it, we will say it different. Thus we have the town of Chili, pronounced chi lie. or the town of Avon, pronounced ave on. it's how we tell which folk belong here and which don't.
    I can respect that. It's like New Madrid (nu MAH-drid) or Cairo (KAY-ROH (emphasis added for hillbillies)), IL.


    Regardless, sucks about the thief, but if I'm honest, that's totally on-brand for Dayton, Ohio (I have a personal opinion that that city is an abject shithole, tell me I'm wrong)
    I still call it The Jake.

  10. #5135
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    7,856
    So it seems the town of Avon in the western wildes of the upstate thought ahead about the coming apocalypse. They’ve got a Barilla pasta plant AND a Heinz ketchup bottling facility right down the street. While the rest of us schlups suck on solyent green, that whole town will be dining in style.

  11. #5136
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,491
    Hold up. Barilla isn’t made in Italy, but actually the Upstates!?!
    I still call it The Jake.

  12. #5137
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    4,601

  13. #5138
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14,164
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Regardless, sucks about the thief, but if I'm honest, that's totally on-brand for Dayton, Ohio (I have a personal opinion that that city is an abject shithole, tell me I'm wrong)
    I was in Cape Cod this summer staying at a friends house and I borrowed a baseball cap. I'm walking around town and this old dude starts following me with outstretched arms making airplane noises. I'm like, what the fuck? Apparently I was wearing a Dayton Flyers hat and he was a local. That was my only experience with Dayton.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  14. #5139
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    4,060
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    it's how we tell which folk belong here and which don't.
    Yeah, they do that in Gualala Ca, too. Neat little trick.

  15. #5140
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    can a ja harry
    Perfect phonetic spelling. Had a roommate from there. He used to take hour long showers during which he would always bring a bottle of bleach. No idea what went on in there but itís definitely upstate.

  16. #5141
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    3,786
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Hold up. Barilla isnít made in Italy, but actually the Upstates!?!
    Ha!! Ma fongul!


    Starting what feels like a real upstate weekend with my new favorite beer which just so happens to be brewed in Rochester.

    IClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2479.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	385630

  17. #5142
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I was in Cape Cod this summer staying at a friends house and I borrowed a baseball cap. I'm walking around town and this old dude starts following me with outstretched arms making airplane noises. I'm like, what the fuck? Apparently I was wearing a Dayton Flyers hat and he was a local. That was my only experience with Dayton.
    If I’m being fair, University of Dayton is actually cool (fun fact, despite the name it’s not a state school but actually Catholic (Marionists)), and had a robust alumni network, but I steadfastly maintain that the city is the dregs if the earth.

    If a tire fire had its own city and that city was not Detroit, it would be Dayton.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Ha!! Ma fongul!


    Starting what feels like a real upstate weekend with my new favorite beer which just so happens to be brewed in Rochester.

    IClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2479.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	385630
    If you’re pullin tabs at this hour, you are well on your way to an Upstate weekend. Well done.
    I still call it The Jake.

  18. #5143
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    4,060
    Honor the man. Crush the can.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faae2bb0d9b35b2a29bd95070a2b573e422b285b403b376345277cc294ddaec8.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	385632

  19. #5144
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,491
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Honor the man. Crush the can.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faae2bb0d9b35b2a29bd95070a2b573e422b285b403b376345277cc294ddaec8.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	385632
    10:11 am est and my day is complete. A Quint reference before lunch. Love it.
    I still call it The Jake.

  20. #5145
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    3,786
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2480.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	385636
    Weíre just getting started

  21. #5146
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,491
    Subscribed.
    I still call it The Jake.

  22. #5147
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14,164
    Oh boy. Some customer is gonna be leaving the shop with no lugnuts today.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  23. #5148
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Oh boy. Some customer is gonna be leaving the shop with no lugnuts today.
    I still call it The Jake.

  24. #5149
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    3,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Oh boy. Some customer is gonna be leaving the shop with no lugnuts today.
    Only thing Iíll be torquing is my driver right down the middle today.

  25. #5150
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,491
    Keep it up with the swing oil then!
    I still call it The Jake.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •