Page 11 of 505 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I loved visiting the fort as a kid but felt very betrayed when I brought my kids and realized it was a rebuild/ replica.
    ha, they had to, the locals stole the stones it was made out of when it was unoccupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    If you like Italian women.
    7 miles down the road from Apalachin, New York, go figure. When IBM was ruling the roost there were more blonde office girls with Swedish and Dutch ancestors perhaps.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

This story seems pertinent to the discussion. On one hand it reinforces the rattlesnakes=upstate equation but it also shows how close Rockland County is to the city since the victim was evacuated by an NYPD helicopter to a city hospital.
    http://hudsonvalley.news12.com/story/42300178/nypd-aviation-rescues-woman-bit-by-rattlesnake-in-harriman-state-park?

For some reason I find it jarring when people refer to Ticonderoga as “Ti”.
    every towny there calls it Ti

This story seems pertinent to the discussion. On one hand it reinforces the rattlesnakes=upstate equation but it also shows how close Rockland County is to the city since the victim was evacuated by an NYPD helicopter to a city hospital.
    http://hudsonvalley.news12.com/story/42300178/nypd-aviation-rescues-woman-bit-by-rattlesnake-in-harriman-state-park?
    she was taken to nyack. proof cops are the worst right there.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    she was taken to nyack. proof cops are the worst right there.
    I guess I didn’t read it closely enough. She went to Nyack first but ended up at Jacoby. Nyack hospital does kind of suck in my opinion but that may be a personal bias, as I’ve had bad experiences with them.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    every towny there calls it Ti
    I know. I’m not saying they should stop. I can’t explain why I don’t like it. It just sounds gross to me, the way some people don’t like to hear “slack”, “moist” or “meal”. I know somebody that hates the word “pork” - and not just as a verb.
    Last edited by Brownski; 06-28-2020 at 04:20 PM.

A good friend is from Malone. I've been there a couple times. No matter how you slice it, Malone is upstate. Hell it's almost in Ontario.

What’s your ruling on Rockland County?
    nobody ever answered you, which is kind of the answer. Rockland County is the bastard stepchild that nobody wants to claim and everyone ignores. It's almost kinda Jersey.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Western NY is defined as where people say "pop"
    Holy fuck that’s accurate. What is with the way they say the word Italian?

I guess I didn’t read it closely enough. She went to Nyack first but ended up at Jacoby. Nyack hospital does kind of suck in my opinion but that may be a personal bias, as I’ve had bad experiences with them.
    I'd just be annoyed if they had already scooped me up in the chopper and then dropped me off halfway to home. Like a cabbie that doesn't want to cross the bridge to get you to the boroughs.

I'd just be annoyed if they had already scooped me up in the chopper and then dropped me off halfway to home. Like a cabbie that doesn't want to cross the bridge to get you to the boroughs.
    Helos and cops aside- regarding the cab situation, I feel your pain there. Multiple times I attempted to stage a sit-in protest in the back of a yellow cab that wouldn’t drive me back to the Bronx. Of course, every time my wife talked me out of it and secured alternative transportation. She’s so sensible.
    Last edited by Brownski; 06-29-2020 at 04:42 PM.

i have a remarkably similar story where my aunt prevented me from making a very large fool of myself trying to head to brooklyn. i think back and cringe, it was so bad and could have been so much worse. one of those things where sometimes even when you’re in the right, there are no winners. live and learn, i hope!

Helos and cops aside- regarding the cab situation, I feel your pain there. Multiple times I attempted to stage a sit-in protest in the back of a yellow cab that wouldn’t drive me back to the Bronx. Of course, every time my wife talked me out of it and secured alternative transportation. She’s so sensible.
    Hmmmm...just considering your handle here...are you a person of color?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Hmmmm...just considering your handle here...are you a person of color?
    No. I have an aunt that insists we’re 1/16 Native American but I’m pretty sure she’s full of shit. These were simple “I’m never gonna find a fare for the return trip up there” incidents.
    i have a remarkably similar story where my aunt prevented me from making a very large fool of myself trying to head to brooklyn. i think back and cringe, it was so bad and could have been so much worse. one of those things where sometimes even when you’re in the right, there are no winners. live and learn, i hope!
    Yeah, you nailed it. Hopefully I’ve learned something over the years. No guarantees though.

This actually begs the question: who is more better-equipped to determine what Upstate is?

The bridge and tunnel crowd?

Those actually living in the City (Manhattan only you poors)?

Those actually residing in points Upstate?

Western New Yorkers/Bills Mafioso/Ontario?

The TRG brain trust?
    I still call it The Jake.

the latter, duh

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    This actually begs the question: who is more better-equipped to determine what Upstate is?

The TRG brain trust?
    Me

No. I have an aunt that insists we’re 1/16 Native American but I’m pretty sure she’s full of shit. These were simple “I’m never gonna find a fare for the return trip up there” incidents.
    Oh, ok, just asking. That's probably why you made it to the back seat. I drove a NYC taxi, and, yeah, outer borough trips sucked, so you avoided them big time. Gypsy territory.
    If you wanted to fuck with the dude, never leave the cab and call the cops, just to waste his time. Take his number and report him. That actually works sometime.

Me
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    the latter, duh
    The Iceman spoketh Benny, sorry.

I don't make the rules, it's just geography.
    And you are correct. So there is that.

Oh, ok, just asking. That's probably why you made it to the back seat. I drove a NYC taxi, and, yeah, outer borough trips sucked, so you avoided them big time. Gypsy territory.
    If you wanted to fuck with the dude, never leave the cab and call the cops, just to waste his time. Take his number and report him. That actually works sometime.
    I wonder, is this the genesis of the Gypsy Cab in Royal Tenenbaums, shot in Harlem?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Maybe pre Wegmans? I think Wegmans united everybody. There was a bit of a rift between the American Niagara Falls and the Canadian Niagara Falls at one point.
    There is a wegmans in NYC and in VA. All of that is now upstate NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    There is a wegmans in NYC and in VA. All of that is now upstate NY.
    Wegmans is a WESTERN NY brand. But still, we prefer you shop at your closest branch rather than make the pilgrimage to Brown Street (which is now a piece of shit diner).

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

The TRG brain trust?
    Me. I can see the Adirondacks from my town. They are definitely not upstate. Upstate is south of here. :P