Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thinking of driving West from NE to ride this summer... but where?

Looking for some recommendations as to where to point my subaru this summer.
    Mid July-Mid August
    Not too far west so I don't have to drive too far (CO, I have a buddy in Missoula also) so not CA or WA or OR although I love those places.
    Not too hot that time of year (or smoky)
    Trails: I like all day big loops of relatively smooth singletrack with awesome views. Relatively easy to navigate (so probably popular) classic loops. I would start early each morning to keep social distance. I don't full-face and I mostly keep my wheels on the ground. I also am not set up to bikepack.
    Ideally I would car-camp in one spot for a few days or a week and ride a few different routes locally.
    I don't want to camp next to seniors in RV's with astroturf and plastic flowers and flamingoes in front of their rig. I'd like to just be out on a forest road somewhere.
    I also trail run double digit miles a few days a week and would be into running some routes.

I was looking at Salida/Crested Butte/Durango/Fruita but will that me crowded and too hot?

Start in Missoula and go where?

Yes I googled but was overwhelmed with info and I was like fuck it I'll just post on TGR.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Fruita will be too hot. Salida itself, maybe, but plenty of nearby high country with car camping. Crested Butte is popular, but will never be East coast crowded. Gunnison has has good trails too.

Durango answer would be similar to Salida, may be hot but has tons of high country.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I was going to say Washington, but you nixed us before we could clear the startline. That time of year is always smoky here anyways. How bad remains to be seen.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Definitely a good time of year to hit MT/northern ID weather wise. You can probably do some bigger loops and see 2 or 3 people all day depending on where you go. Bring bear spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Definitely a good time of year to hit MT/northern ID weather wise. You can probably do some bigger loops and see 2 or 3 people all day depending on where you go. Bring bear spray.
    Can you suggest a few places to get me started?

Is maah daah hey worth a stop?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Can you suggest a few places to get me started?

Is maah daah hey worth a stop?

I'm not really the one to ask. I have just scratched the surface in my short few years here. There are a few maggots with really extensive knowledge who can point you in the right direction. I still have a lot of the classics I have yet to ride. Mile Creek way down south by ID, Line Creek just outside Red Lodge, etc.

Only thing I can really recommend because I have ridden it a lot is Bangtail Divide just outside Bozeman. Can be done as a loop from Stone Creek north to Bracket and down the pavement back to Stone. Or out and back from Stone Creek. Or the super pull (Stone > Brackett > Back to Stone) which I am attempting on July 4th. That's 46ish miles and 7k climbing.

Lots of great shorter rides in the Bridgers as well, but they can be "busy" by Montana standards.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Sun Valley should definitely be on your list.
    This. Especially for what you’re looking for.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Toss some Stanley rides in there as well. We did that like 10/15 years ago and it was great. The undeveloped hot spring near Stanley was the shit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Toss some Stanley rides in there as well. We did that like 10/15 years ago and it was great. The undeveloped hot spring near Stanley was the shit.

Stanley... Idaho?

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Maah daah hey has been on my to-do list for a long time. I've heard it can get hot as balls there in the summer though, and not rideable when wet. Not sure if mid summer is realistic but keep an eye on forecasts and see what it looks like.

Best advice for rides is do lots of research and have lots of options in different locations. Storms and fires can easily derail plans, but if you have alternates in other areas it's easy to adjust on the fly.

Montana has unlimited riding options. If you're solo, lack of shuttle ability may limit some options. I've done a few trips, you can search my TR's or those by 406 or ideas. Mostly between Bozeman, Big Sky, and West Yellowstone. Riding in the Lionhead is some of the best backcountry riding I've done and is in danger due to Wilderness designation. As mentioned, bring bear spray.

There is some great riding in Jackson and Grand Targhee that meet your criteria. As a bonus you can visit Yellowstone on the way. SLC area would also be worth it as well, you could probably spend weeks there. Camping, especially dispersed camping is a limitation. Sun Valley and Stanley are great too. Lots of great riding in CO. Most of my riding has been in Durango and Crested Butte areas. My experience is if you want to do bigger rides with awesome views you'll be looking at backcountry routes. These will also help you get away from hot temps and crowds. But may entail rougher trails and hike a bike. But totally worth it IMO. You can put together big rides in a lot of places using the Colorado Trail or CDT.

You're planning to drive by some really wonderful riding in the UP of Michigan. Miles and miles of miles and miles and you can go visit Yetiman while you're there. I would also throw a strong suggestion to stop in the Black Hills in SD and spend a day or two riding the unknown, unspoken trails in the Nebraska panhandle although those may be a bit on the warm side due to lack of elevation.

X2 on western Wyoming.
    Conveniently located between CO and MT.

Stop in JH for a few; Do a Shadow mountain loop at sunrise, Float the Snake or Hike up into the Tetons.

Plenty of space here, house of 420 will welcome you.

X2 on Sun Valley/ Stanley. Did a two week trip around there, Driggs, Jackson last summer. Would definitely go back to Ketchum area to ride.

Some higher elevation rides are just starting to open up in MT. I'm no longer around Bozeman and I do miss the options around that area within a 1-2hr drive. Its fallen out of favor with some but curly lake highline trail is a must if you're around there. 2 things about that trail are snow conditions(elevations above 10,000ft) and a wildlife closure(I think ends June 30th?). There are so many options in bridgers, gallatins, t-roots, and lionhead area. I'm pretty sure half of montana DH bikers were in town this weekend hitting the Disco bike park. Not sure how these last storms affected SW Montana but around here(philipsburg) there has been a shit ton of blow down. Trail crews around Bozeman usually do a pretty awesome job cutting more popular trails. I'd also recommend blackmore to s. Cottonwood if it's been cut. But like evdog said there are quite a few point to point rides unless you dig road miles to link up. Personally I'd spend a week around Bozeman and make my way south towards Jackson hitting mile ck en route. I'm not savvy on Missoula trails but I'm not too far from there and would head south instead. Or if you're basing there you could head north and hit some cool stuff towards whitefish.

I’d really consider the MDH and maybe some spots in MI, MN (Duluth) or WI (Hayward) on the drive out or back.

MDH will be hot but worth the stop, even if it’s for 10-20 miles as long as it’s on the way to MT...probably not much else like it in the US.

Park city could be on your list as well, it's fun smooth single track, i'm guessing there is some dispersed camping off Gaurdsman pass
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions! I look at trip dates/itineraries at Western Spirit to guide me. I really want to go on one of their trips but it's not really in the budget ($1300/5 days of camping).
    Thinking to drive out to Medora ND for a day or two of MDH. If it's HOT well I can just ride early or keep it short. I need to look into shuttles.
    Western Spirit does a trip on the Centennial Trail is SD? Is that any good? They run them all summer, but do not do MDH in July August which is a warning to me.
    Then to Bozeman for like 2 days of riding.
    Then to Missoula for a ~week.
    Then Ketchum for a ~week.
    Jackson for a ~week.

I feel like all of those places have a week of solid riding which is easy to find and navigate.

Then a fucking 36 hour drive back which will suck my heavily sweating balls. I've never driven that far solo.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions! I look at trip dates/itineraries at Western Spirit to guide me. I really want to go on one of their trips but it's not really in the budget ($1300/5 days of camping).
    Thinking to drive out to Medora ND for a day or two of MDH. If it's HOT well I can just ride early or keep it short. I need to look into shuttles.
    Western Spirit does a trip on the Centennial Trail is SD? Is that any good? They run them all summer, but do not do MDH in July August which is a warning to me.
    Then to Bozeman for like 2 days of riding.
    Then to Missoula for a ~week.
    Then Ketchum for a ~week.
    Jackson for a ~week.

I feel like all of those places have a week of solid riding which is easy to find and navigate.

Then a fucking 36 hour drive back which will suck my heavily sweating balls. I've never driven that far solo.
    Screw Western Spirit, you should look at Chasing Epic trips.

(although we don't really have anything in your time frame this year)

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Screw Western Spirit, you should look at Chasing Epic trips.

(although we don't really have anything in your time frame this year)
    The wildcard monarch crest trip looks sooo good.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Centennial is a gravel rail trail, some ok scenery, but nothing special. Might be good for an easy day ride.

In that area, I'd highly recommend the Dakota Five-O race route (or parts of it) for singletrack out of Spearfish. Stay at the city campground and enjoy the ride. Tinton Trial up and down if you need an out/back is fantastic. I'll try to find a loop that I used to do for preriding that will get you some fun stuff.

Ride up Tinton Trail - down some gravel to back to down Tinton - https://www.strava.com/activities/698219411

This was at the Top of the previous climb/link - big parking lot, to find the top of a great downhill in the race - combine the up in the first link, with the down in this link - https://www.strava.com/activities/699504160

And for reference, this is the entire race route. - https://www.strava.com/activities/700764002

I don't think you're getting much of a break from the heat (or bugs) going to the yoop. Though, one advantage to sucking it up and riding where it's hot is that the trails will be pretty empty. Otherwise, stick to the high alpine stuff being mentioned. Perfect time of the year to be in the big mountains.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

WTF is the yoop? A ghey cowboy bar in Jackson?
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I don't think you're getting much of a break from the heat (or bugs) going to the yoop. Though, one advantage to sucking it up and riding where it's hot is that the trails will be pretty empty. Otherwise, stick to the high alpine stuff being mentioned. Perfect time of the year to be in the big mountains.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

The wildcard monarch crest trip looks sooo good.

Yep, one spot left. It's filled with repeat clients who are all legit riders too, it should be a blast.