Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    WTF is the yoop? A ghey cowboy bar in Jackson?
    Upper peninsula. Looks like you neglected to mention some must-do’s in the OP, NTTTAWWT.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Upper peninsula. Looks like you neglected to mention some must-do’s in the OP, NTTTAWWT.
    I've driven through the yoop and it's beautiful! I am going to avoid driving through Canada. Border crossing...
    Yoop is in Canada, right?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

The UP only seems like it's in Canada.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Sun Valley should definitely be on your list.
    This is what immediately popped into my head as well.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Maybe hit some trails in the Helena area as you are driving right through it?

Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions! I look at trip dates/itineraries at Western Spirit to guide me. I really want to go on one of their trips but it's not really in the budget ($1300/5 days of camping).
    Thinking to drive out to Medora ND for a day or two of MDH. If it's HOT well I can just ride early or keep it short. I need to look into shuttles.
    Western Spirit does a trip on the Centennial Trail is SD? Is that any good? They run them all summer, but do not do MDH in July August which is a warning to me.
    Then to Bozeman for like 2 days of riding.
    Then to Missoula for a ~week.
    Then Ketchum for a ~week.
    Jackson for a ~week.

I feel like all of those places have a week of solid riding which is easy to find and navigate.

Then a fucking 36 hour drive back which will suck my heavily sweating balls. I've never driven that far solo.
    You don't need to do a shuttle for Mah Dah Hey. The landscape is really complex and a 5 mile out and back can feel like two completely separate 5 mile rides.

There is a campground right at Buffalo Gap where the trail crosses I90.

The section called The Deuce was spectacular at sunset.

A week seems like a really long time in Missoula if all you are going to do is bike.

Nope, 'da UP is part of Wisconsin (for us Wisconsinites)

Yeah, if you're heading west, might as well stop in a few Wisconsin locations as well. Human Powered trails in LaCrosse, WI, just off I-90. The Nine Mile forest near Wausau, WI (Rib Mountain or whatever it's called now). The Underdown, just north of Merrill, WI. If you're in that area, might as well hit the Chequamegon, WI cluster of trails near Cable and Hayward, WI. If you're so inclined to venture up to 'da UP might as well hit all the Copper Harbor Trails and while you're there ride the Swedetown trails just outside of Calumet, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    You don't need to do a shuttle for Mah Dah Hey. The landscape is really complex and a 5 mile out and back can feel like two completely separate 5 mile rides.

There is a campground right at Buffalo Gap where the trail crosses I90.

The section called The Deuce was spectacular at sunset.

A week seems like a really long time in Missoula if all you are going to do is bike.
    Thanks! I have a buddy there so we will float

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions! I look at trip dates/itineraries at Western Spirit to guide me. I really want to go on one of their trips but it's not really in the budget ($1300/5 days of camping).
    Thinking to drive out to Medora ND for a day or two of MDH. If it's HOT well I can just ride early or keep it short. I need to look into shuttles.
    Western Spirit does a trip on the Centennial Trail is SD? Is that any good? They run them all summer, but do not do MDH in July August which is a warning to me.
    Jackson for a ~week.

I feel like all of those places have a week of solid riding which is easy to find and navigate.

Then a fucking 36 hour drive back which will suck my heavily sweating balls. I've never driven that far solo.
    You are probably shortchanging Bozeman area but most of the best rides aren't "in" BZN per se:

Blackmore to Cottonwood (Hyalite)
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/mt-blackmore/

Curly Highline opens 7/15 (South of Cardwell)
    https://www.trailforks.com/route/curly-lake-highline/
    make sure to hit Lost Cabin too:
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/lost-cabin-lake/

Homestake Pass TH is off I-90 just before Butte
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/cd...tonehomestake/
    or North to the Virgin overlook:
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/homestake-maude-s/

And then Muskrat is en route to HLN/Missoula:
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/muskrat-creek/

As others have already indicated the BEST rides in SWMT are in the Lionhead/Henry's Mountains outside West Yellowstone, and are threatened for closure...

Sheep, Mile, Targhee Pass (North or South), and then across the hwy (in the Gravelly Range) Wolverine Basin, Gazelle and Gold Butte downhill:

https://www.trailforks.com/region/lionhead-15430/
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/gazelle-creek-trail/

The Lionhead rides are in bear country and Wolverine Basin IN PARTICULAR has an angry griz or two who've eaten hunters the last few years, so a friend and jerk-pepper spray are strongly advised.

I live in BZN but am fixing up a cabin in Island Park ~ 20 min to the Lionhead, so feel free reach out if you need a shower or more info about SWMT camping options

Cliff Point campground for the win...
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/bdnf...=5705&actid=31

Jackson for a ~week.

Sounds like a real solid plan based on what you like to ride. I'd skip SD unless it's unusually cool when you pass through. If you run into weather and want to avoid a rainy place, add Park City at the end (some people said SLC but I would hope they meant PC in July/August). Another alternate place is skipping Bozeman for Helena, or doing Line outside Red Lodge. Also, Lost Trail is half way between Ketchum and Missoula, maybe ride there? There is a thread here about that place somewhere, I haven't been though..

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Sounds like a real solid plan based on what you like to ride. I'd skip SD unless it's unusually cool when you pass through. If you run into weather and want to avoid a rainy place, add Park City at the end (some people said SLC but I would hope they meant PC in July/August). Another alternate place is skipping Bozeman for Helena, or doing Line outside Red Lodge. Also, Lost Trail is half way between Ketchum and Missoula, maybe ride there? There is a thread here about that place somewhere, I haven't been though..
    Thanks!

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Just got back from 5 days in crested butte. Saw people at trail heads and in popular
    dispersed camping spots. Trails were basically empty and awesome. Big rides abound with awesome views. Heading to Sun Valley tomorrow, it’s always good there and I’ve yet to find it very crowded. But crested butte is unreal. Only downside is that a the amount of climbing that is on double track. Did cement creek>Italian creek>flag>bear creek>deadman’s>dr. Park that was as a full 10 out of 10 on the descending but involved a probably 8 miles on double track. Can’t go wrong either way. And both would be on my must visit spots in the inter mountain west.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Just got back from 5 days in crested butte. Saw people at trail heads and in popular
    dispersed camping spots. Trails were basically empty and awesome. Big rides abound with awesome views. Heading to Sun Valley tomorrow, it’s always good there and I’ve yet to find it very crowded. But crested butte is unreal. Only downside is that a the amount of climbing that is on double track. Did cement creek>Italian creek>flag>bear creek>deadman’s>dr. Park that was as a full 10 out of 10 on the descending but involved a probably 8 miles on double track. Can’t go wrong either way. And both would be on my must visit spots in the inter mountain west.

Cb is a place I want to go but it's 12 hours from sun valley.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Buddy of mine is on a two month cruise in his Sprinter right now, he's a school teacher and this is his fourth summer doing this.

He was just in Sun Valley and couldn't find a place to camp anywhere, paid or otherwise and he's a solid boondocker. What he saw were campers being left in spots for the 16 day max and the owners are showing up on the weekend to use them. Not sure if this is normal this time of year or Covid behavior, I was there last year end of August/Early September and we found spots pretty much everywhere we went.

He ended up near Galena the other night and was heading to Stanley then back to Sun Valley today where some spots were supposed to free up.

Cb is a place I want to go but it's 12 hours from sun valley.

So what? You’re talking about a day of travel mixed in with a month of riding. Worth it IMO for the variety.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    So what? You’re talking about a day of travel mixed in with a month of riding. Worth it IMO for the variety.
    Good point...

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Buddy of mine is on a two month cruise in his Sprinter right now, he's a school teacher and this is his fourth summer doing this.

He was just in Sun Valley and couldn't find a place to camp anywhere, paid or otherwise and he's a solid boondocker. What he saw were campers being left in spots for the 16 day max and the owners are showing up on the weekend to use them. Not sure if this is normal this time of year or Covid behavior, I was there last year end of August/Early September and we found spots pretty much everywhere we went.

He ended up near Galena the other night and was heading to Stanley then back to Sun Valley today where some spots were supposed to free up.
    I would love to know if this is typical...

I <heart> hot tele-moms

I would love to know if this is typical...

Me too.

He went back to Sun Valley yesterday, got shut out again and headed back to Stanley.

Definitely not typical. Was planning on heading up Tuesday. Hope there’s some spots

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Definitely not typical. Was planning on heading up Tuesday. Hope there’s some spots

Please report back!

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Campsites are at a premium this summer in some spots. Depends on how adventurous, or how strict some areas are.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Thinking of driving West from NE to ride this summer... but where?

Why not stay closer to home this summer? I could think of a good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was just reading the blog from the shop in Pinedale and they said the camping up by Green River Lakes is unprecedented busy...ugghh.

'As we trend to the very northern part of the Winds, Green River Lakes is quite the bustling hub. Expect to make it to the end of the valley, but not past Vista Pass. Slide Lake is open, as is the Clear Creek Natural Bridge. The National Forest around Green River Lakes is seeing an unprecedented amount of traffic due to the high concentration on dispersed camping. Please do your part to pack out any and all trash, as well as not creating new campsites and fire rings. It is our responsibility to treat our public lands with respect, and that means burying our waste (human and animal, dogs included), packing out our trash, and putting out our fires. Please be responsible stewards with this beautiful area.'

Yeah it's been unusually busy round MT as well. I get out a lot and dont typically camp anywhere near established campgrounds. While a lot of my out of the way spots are still not seeing a ton of traffic due to high clearance 4x4 roads etc, I have seen a ton more traffic on my way into some spots. Also way more people settling in and staying max limit(16 days for a lot of NF here). Way things are going with the covid, things might be getting shut back down.

Also the Missoula mags can chime in but I keep hearing for a close to town must hit that deadmans is pretty fun and I believe shuttleable. Sposed to snow again here this week...

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Also the Missoula mags can chime in but I keep hearing for a close to town must hit that deadmans is pretty fun and I believe shuttleable. Sposed to snow again here this week...
    Waste of time, especially once it opens to motos for the season. About 10% as good as Carlton Ridge/Mill Creek combo, which is partly shuttleable and gets you like 5000+ of descending for 2000' of climbing.