Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks. The 3rd row of gen 2 siennas sucks for somebody adult sized. I feel bad for the 6’1” teen when he’s back there, but he hasn’t complained about it (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Gen 3 moved the rear row back a bit compared to Gen 2 -- giving it more space but less trunk space.

FWIW, I now have 25k on my 3.5" lift on my Gen 3 Sienna with no problems. Slight decrease in gas mileage but still handles/drives like a minivan and not a full size.
    How much worse did the gas milage get with the lift kit? This is on my wish list for our gen 3 sienna adventure-mobile.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Another What Car Thread: Big-ish SUV's (or Minivan?)

We thought about getting the RAV4 prime, the Sienna or the all-wheel-drive Prius. We ended up getting the Prius because basically it’s the car we need, and we can keep our beater Honda odyssey as a spare car, but there were no RAV4 primes shipped to Washington, and there were no Siennas within 500 miles of our house.
    The only downside we thought with the Sienna was not being able to remove the second row (because we basically drive with one second row seat in the odyssey), and use the rest of the back for crap.
    If we didn’t have the odyssey we definitely would’ve found a sienna
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    How much worse did the gas milage get with the lift kit? This is on my wish list for our gen 3 sienna adventure-mobile.

I'd guess the lift itself is responsible for about 1mpg on the highway. But I added a very non-aero big ass roof box, heavier tires, and an awning at the same time -- all told a loss of about 2mpg.

We leave our bed setup in all the time except when we need to haul -- since it sits behind the third row and doesn't take up space. Also have a little kitchen setup (https://imgur.com/a/EKr7c0m) that stays in and we can still add one of the 2nd row seats though that is rare. Kitchen takes about 3min to go in/out.

406: I think we tried the XLE model because it was the only one available. Like I said, we wanted to like it and the 35 mpg is amazing. But neither my wife nor I particularly cared for it. To be clear, the Highlander Hybrid is an objectively good vehicle. We just weren't wild about it ourselves. It's too bad because I'm a big fan of Toyota. (RIP, my 2001 Tundra.)

If you're really going to drive this on dirt roads regularly, and want ample space for kid stuff, and like Toyota -

Why not Sequoia? Or Tundra + shell?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    The only downside we thought with the Sienna was not being able to remove the second row (because we basically drive with one second row seat in the odyssey), and use the rest of the back for crap.
    Wha?!!

Can you still fit full size plywood sheets in the back of the new sienna’s? Do they still have a relatively high payload capacity?

Fwiw, I have friends (family of 4 with 2 teens and no dog) with a rav4 prime. It replaced an outback. They like it. They are skiers (like 20-40 days/season). They usually use a larger 4x4 truck for off-road and camping needs.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    If you're really going to drive this on dirt roads regularly, and want ample space for kid stuff, and like Toyota -

Why not Sequoia? Or Tundra + shell?
    If it's just dirt roads and not really high clearance -- then you're paying a big premium for Sequoia and Tundra. Plus sliding doors rule for camping and in the city.

Not to mention interior volume. And the new Sienna gets about 3x the mpg as a Sequoia.

If they made a camper version of a Sienna it would be so legit. Just remove all the seats and add some overhead storage bins and you're 90% there.

I have an 06 Sequoia and love it. It's a road trip beast. But it gets abysmal gas mileage and I don't think they've improved much over the years.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'd guess the lift itself is responsible for about 1mpg on the highway. But I added a very non-aero big ass roof box, heavier tires, and an awning at the same time -- all told a loss of about 2mpg.

We leave our bed setup in all the time except when we need to haul -- since it sits behind the third row and doesn't take up space. Also have a little kitchen setup (https://imgur.com/a/EKr7c0m) that stays in and we can still add one of the 2nd row seats though that is rare. Kitchen takes about 3min to go in/out.
    Good to know, thanks!

I might have to steal the kitchen idea. I currently have a westfalia-inspired bed in mine that can turn into a chair, and a sliding drawer in the trunk for cooking in the rain. I like that I can slide skis in under the bed and they are both inside the car and out of the way. And I like that I can fit a pile of whitewater kayaks in the back, even with the bed frame in place.

I'd be really tempted to trade in for the hybrid sienna if they hadn't fucked things up with the non removable 2nd row. I'm sure I'm not the only one using their van like a pickup/camper so it's an unfortunate design choice.

Add the lift kit to the sienna

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

FWIW you can remove the 2nd row in the 3rd gen. It's just the putting them back in that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have an 06 Sequoia and love it. It's a road trip beast. But it gets abysmal gas mileage and I don't think they've improved much over the years.
    I think they've gotten a bit better by going to direct fuel injection and better aerodynamics. Something like 15mpg combined.

FWIW you can remove the 2nd row in the 3rd gen. It's just the putting them back in that is the problem.
    The video(s) of a guy removing the second row is pretty wild. Lots of wires for the airbags and some other stuff etc. I stopped watching. The seats do slide way forward, but still, we kinda like the way the Odyssey turns into a hauler so easily.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    The video(s) of a guy removing the second row is pretty wild. Lots of wires for the airbags and some other stuff etc. I stopped watching. The seats do slide way forward, but still, we kinda like the way the Odyssey turns into a hauler so easily.
    For sure—it’s one reason I went gen 3 with the new gen so close on the horizon. We roll mostly with middle seats out and camper mode in. But last week I pulled it out in 10min, got hauled a fuck ton of flagstone home in a bed bigger than most pickups.

For anyone thinking Sienna—if you’re gonna load it up plan on airbags in the rear to prevent sag. <$100 and installs in < 2 beers

For sure—it’s one reason I went gen 3 with the new gen so close on the horizon. We roll mostly with middle seats out and camper mode in. But last week I pulled it out in 10min, got hauled a fuck ton of flagstone home in a bed bigger than most pickups.

For anyone thinking Sienna—if you’re gonna load it up plan on airbags in the rear to prevent sag. <$100 and installs in < 2 beers
    That’s interesting about the airbags. I’ve never looked into it. I’ve just let the sag happen and hope for the best

I think they've gotten a bit better by going to direct fuel injection and better aerodynamics. Something like 15mpg combined.
    A real difference maker over the 13-14 I get.

It's still a great car. But whenever I replace mine - not anytime soon - much better mpg will be a goal. 15 won't cut it!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    A real difference maker over the 13-14 I get.

It's still a great car. But whenever I replace mine - not anytime soon - much better mpg will be a goal. 15 won't cut it!
    I almost got the new plug in Wrangler Unlimited this year because I'm getting 16-17 in my GX. But we went back to full electric on our around-town car instead.

By the time the 4.7 gives out, I bet there will be a half dozen replacements available with 40+ mpg.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The 5.7 in the tundra/sequoia is a hog, but has treated us well since purchasing in 2013.

It’s got a great 4wd system with center locking diff and fulltime awd options but ours averages mid 14 mpg. It goes negative when we tow. Its also got a smallish gas tank although the tundra has bigger tank options

Ancient platform and the next gen update is just around the corner. I am expecting a hybrid v6 option and likely full electric in the next gen tundra/sequoia and could get interested

We easily pack this thing to gills with our family of 4 and large mutt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0151.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	912.4 KB 
ID:	376551

Another What Car Thread: Big-ish SUV's (or Minivan?)

It’s only been one winter and six months of duty but this Honda AWD Turbo is pulling me away from SUVs.

Clearance. That’s the only deciding factor in 2021 as far as I can tell. Maybe towing heavy rigs is also a factor.

A tunable turbo adding 30% HP & Torque over factory. A paddle-shifting CVT on AWD. 35 mpg. Massive interior space and malleable second and third row seating.

Name:	93C14536-6430-4504-AA30-7187425109A5.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	725.0 KB 
ID:	376723

Name:	IMG_5119.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	376724

Shit shreds, yo.
    Last edited by gaijin; 06-09-2021 at 05:42 AM.

I'm in the pro minivan camp. I bought a Transit Connect before I even had a kid and am currently in the middle of a 3000 mile, dirt road heavy road trip. Nothing beats the cargo convenience of a vans big square rear area and low load height.

If I replaced the Transit Connect now, I'd get a new Sienna or Pacifica. Theyve made some compromises in cargo space shape for aero, but the drivetrains are really compelling.

I might stick a 2in lift on though if the new ones get good reviews. I've VERY carefully picked my way through a couple of spots on this trip. If they made a Transit Connect "Outback" I'd be all over it. And so would my wife. She was initially skeptical but has been very much win over by the mini-van form factor

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Lovely wife has been deciding on a replacement ride for a couple years now. Field has slowly been narrowed to the Grand Cherokee. I’m trying to hold out for the 4xe version that supposed to come out this fall. 40 mile electric only range, good base gas mileage, more power than a diesel when the battery kicks in. Silent off-roading. Seems cool.

We will have to load that thing up in full GOTOS mode for our full family trips with grown kids though cause it’s kinda small compared to some SUVs. Hitch mount 4 bike rack with box on top I’m the summer, hitch mount platform and skis in the box in the winter for big trips. Still far better than a minivan for me for sure.

the purpose of the SUV is to distance ones self from having owned a minivan
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Get a wagon

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)