Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Another What Car Thread: Big-ish SUV's (or Minivan?)

I’m pacing Toast at about a year ahead. Our boys are 10mo next week and we’ve been holding out on making the SUV upgrade. Currently rolling with an Alltrack with 23k and a ‘05 Outback with 198k and leaking gaskets.

We’re pretty firmly in the non-Sienna camp and I don’t think our life/lifestyle aligns with the upsides it gives. At this point our larger vehicle would be driven 2-3k miles per year around town and another 2-3k for camping/road trips, etc. Our biggest desire right now is capability and cargo space; something that can take the family and our gear to any reasonable trailhead/campsite. I don’t think we’re looking for the same day-to-day versatility and efficiency as most people.

I’ve been very intruiged by a used Lexus GX for the bang for the buck; my wife is set on wanting a used 4Runner. The more I dig into GX research, it’s pretty clear there are cargo space comprises compared to the straightforward layout of the 2-row 4Runner. I’m very interested in a LC 120, despite the MPG or potentially a Tahoe, but my wife’s pegged them as “too big”. Need to get her in a LC and 4R to feel the quality/comfort difference.

Always curious to hear people’s experience staying this route, beyond the need to lift a kid in/out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So you are replacing the outback?

Not sure which version 4runner or LC you're considering, but they are only a few inches longer/wider

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Hertz is unloading inventory, good no haggle deals https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3182105001

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So you are replacing the outback?

Not sure which version 4runner or LC you're considering, but they are only a few inches longer/wider

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah Outback will go in the next year unless it dies first. Probably a newerish 5th gen 4Runner or a later 120series LC. Some good well kept, lower mileage ones around here from mansions

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Yeah Outback will go in the next year unless it dies first. Probably a newerish 5th gen 4Runner or a later 120series LC. Some good well kept, lower mileage ones around here from mansions

The mileage is pretty bad on the 4.7 V8, but it’s pretty nice to have when hauling or with a heavy load.

My understanding of the 4.7 V8 is that what you spend in gas, you save in maintenance. Reliable AF from what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Can you imagine how much air time that thing has seen?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Can you imagine how much air time that thing has seen?
    There aren't any visible chips or cracks in the plastic front bumper, so I'd imagine I could.

If that was located in a more rednecky location I'd guess it had been abused a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    My understanding of the 4.7 V8 is that what you spend in gas, you save in maintenance. Reliable AF from what I've read.
    Aftermarket generic higher flow muffler, I’m getting close to 14mpg. Was getting 11-12 mpg before....

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Aftermarket generic higher flow muffler, I’m getting close to 14mpg. Was getting 11-12 mpg before....
    Oof. That's the kind of mileage I get in my truck with 3000 lbs of camper in the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Yeah I’ve heard the same. And for our assumed mileage the 15 vs 20mpg hwy isn’t a deal breaker.

That hertz rig is a good deal. Lots of I-70 miles that aren’t too concerning too me

You could buy a brand new 4Runner in that trim level for ~$5k more than that one with 30,000 "it's a rental, why be gentle?" miles on it.

Also, as someone with a 5th gen 4Runner, it's too small a vehicle if you have kids. It's the perfect sized SUV for a couple, but they are far less spacious inside than the bloated body would have you believe. The back seat is cramped for anyone with legs, the headroom isn't great and the looong rear bumper both eats cargo space and makes what trunk area you do have a pain to fully utilize without getting your pants dirty.

With the lockers and off road package it is more like 40k plus tax for a new 4R. SR5 for 5k more that rental sure but then you don't have all the gadgets that make the 4R worth the compromise of having in the first place.

Also I think they are roomy as all hell for a vehicle that can tackle jeep trails with ease. With a box there is no family of 4 trip they can't tackle...as long as you can afford the stupid gas mileage penalty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You can get a TRD Off-Road for $37K or so if you don't want KDSS, and I don't believe the Hertz one has it. That's the TRD Off-Road, which was formerly the "Trail," that isn't a TRD Pro.

Okay probably fair. Back when I was pricing a Trail (now TRD) the one I needed was always just over 40k when I shopped it but I did want the disconnecting sway bar for all that cash...

Anyway 30k on a 4R odometer is nothing...even for a rental.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Oof. That's the kind of mileage I get in my truck with 3000 lbs of camper in the bed.
    To be fair, the cruiser hasn’t been on a open highway w/o being loaded down for a long time (maybe twice in the 5 years that I’ve owned it).

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I’m pacing Toast at about a year ahead. Our boys are 10mo next week and we’ve been holding out on making the SUV upgrade. Currently rolling with an Alltrack with 23k and a ‘05 Outback with 198k and leaking gaskets.

We’re pretty firmly in the non-Sienna camp and I don’t think our life/lifestyle aligns with the upsides it gives. At this point our larger vehicle would be driven 2-3k miles per year around town and another 2-3k for camping/road trips, etc. Our biggest desire right now is capability and cargo space; something that can take the family and our gear to any reasonable trailhead/campsite. I don’t think we’re looking for the same day-to-day versatility and efficiency as most people.

I’ve been very intruiged by a used Lexus GX for the bang for the buck; my wife is set on wanting a used 4Runner. The more I dig into GX research, it’s pretty clear there are cargo space comprises compared to the straightforward layout of the 2-row 4Runner. I’m very interested in a LC 120, despite the MPG or potentially a Tahoe, but my wife’s pegged them as “too big”. Need to get her in a LC and 4R to feel the quality/comfort difference.

Always curious to hear people’s experience staying this route, beyond the need to lift a kid in/out.

I've got a GX and an Outback right now. Compared to a 4Runner, the GX is the same length. It's just taller with more interior headroom. And you can just remove the third row jump seats if you're not using them.

We've got a 2004, which is nice because we have it without the NAV upgrade and some people report problems with the secondary air intake on the later VVT version of the engine.

I wish we had shopped around a bit more and found one with KDSS without the NAV upgrade. We are keeping it stock height, so KDSS would be nice to have.

The gas mileage sucks but it hauls kids and gear around without complaint. It wheels up and down pretty much anything without any fuss, even in stock form. We got it for pretty much the use case you have.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I've got a GX and an Outback right now. Compared to a 4Runner, the GX is the same length. It's just taller with more interior headroom. And you can just remove the third row jump seats if you're not using them.

We've got a 2004, which is nice because we have it without the NAV upgrade and some people report problems with the secondary air intake on the later VVT version of the engine.

I wish we had shopped around a bit more and found one with KDSS without the NAV upgrade. We are keeping it stock height, so KDSS would be nice to have.

The gas mileage sucks but it hauls kids and gear around without complaint. It wheels up and down pretty much anything without any fuss, even in stock form. We got it for pretty much the use case you have.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Good stuff. Yeah I was looking at some earlier gen GX460s before they added the ridiculous grill. No 460s have removable 3rd row, just folding down “into the floor.”

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    You could buy a brand new 4Runner in that trim level for ~$5k more than that one with 30,000 "it's a rental, why be gentle?" miles on it.

Also, as someone with a 5th gen 4Runner, it's too small a vehicle if you have kids. It's the perfect sized SUV for a couple, but they are far less spacious inside than the bloated body would have you believe. The back seat is cramped for anyone with legs, the headroom isn't great and the looong rear bumper both eats cargo space and makes what trunk area you do have a pain to fully utilize without getting your pants dirty.
    Good good good, I like this. I think it would still be a nice space upgrade from our Outback/Alltrack reality, but I’m sure it won’t feel like that much.

Our situation is slightly different. 3 kids, 9,9, and 11. Need to haul them, gear, cats, etc. to Mammoth every week.

For us the best compromise has been the VW Atlas. The thing is huge on the inside, way more passenger and cargo room than just about any 3 row SUV. With 2nd row captains chairs the twins are separated, 11yr old lives happily in the 3rd row which is big enough for an adult, especially with leg room in the middle of the 2nd row b/c of captains chairs. The driver assist has been awesome for our long road trips. The adaptive cruise works great all the way to complete stop. Atlas was had for mid 30's out the door. The other more pricey marginally nicer option is the Kia Telluride. Because they are more popular and newer hey are going for mid-40's it seemed like.

Compromises are the rather meh engine, meh gas mileage, and a bit of an austere interior, but it works for us.

The LC/GX,Tahoe, etc. all suck if you need to use the 3rd row. The 3rd row sits way close to the ground making it super uncomfortable. There is also zero luggage space behind the 3rd row. If you don't need the 3rd row, then you have tons of options.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Another What Car Thread: Big-ish SUV's (or Minivan?)

2 adults. 3 kids. 3 50+ pound dogs.

Go.

ETA: I think the rare-ish occasions that we all need to go somewhere together, taking two fairly economical vehicles is the best answer.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post

Go.

ETA: I think the rare-ish occasions that we all need to go somewhere together, taking two fairly economical vehicles is the best answer.
    Full size van

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post

Go.

It must be families like yours that explains large SUVs I see with 2 large rocket boxes on top. Dogs really fuck up the storage in vehicles.

Full size-van. You go down south in UT where the polygamists roam, and they all have them. Kinda similar but too many dogs is much better than too many wives.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk