Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Wasn't there a stream flow gauge with a cable across the river and a basket or something to stand or sit in like a mile upstream from the bus? But McCandless never went up that way and didn't know about it? I read that book a long while ago but I seem to recall that.
    Something like that, though I thought it was an actual bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There was a bridge at the highway which he would have reached if he followed the river, but also:

"...if he had a topographical map, it would have showed the USGS gauging station just one half mile down stream. At that location is a one inch thick cable spanning across the river. It even turns out the passenger basket was anchored to his side which would have been a fun way to cross for him."

Here's a pic of it:

Pretty good short description of the situation here: http://www.willhiteweb.com/info/into...ndless_089.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I know Krakauer is a good writer and all, but I cannot understand the deification of some jaded rich kid getting himself killed by being a moron.
    That was sort of the point.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There was a bridge at the highway which he would have reached if he followed the river, but also:

"...if he had a topographical map, it would have showed the USGS gauging station just one half mile down stream. At that location is a one inch thick cable spanning across the river. It even turns out the passenger basket was anchored to his side which would have been a fun way to cross for him."

Here's a pic of it:

Pretty good short description of the situation here: http://www.willhiteweb.com/info/into...ndless_089.htm
    That’s a good description of the situation. I always thought the most heartbreaking aspect of the story was how close he was to two viable ways out.

You'd think that with months to poke around he'd have followed the river for a half mile just to see what was there. That's a big part of what really got me about the whole story.

I will buy the magic bus for 100 English pounds

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I will buy the magic bus for 100 English pounds
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Rename it, "Furthust"
    Fake scrawlings of Alexander Supertramp on brewpub tables
    Charge Millenials to pose
    Profit

Shit that’s a great idea - build a park with a 100 different Instagram backgrounds (cool waterfalls, fields of flowers, microbrew bars and coffee shops and avocado toast restaurants, urban decay scene (sanitized for your health of course) with fake Banksy art on the wall....charge an entrance fee, have photographers for hire, makeup and wardrobe for hire....

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Shit that’s a great idea - build a park with a 100 different Instagram backgrounds (cool waterfalls, fields of flowers, microbrew bars and coffee shops and avocado toast restaurants, urban decay scene (sanitized for your health of course) with fake Banksy art on the wall....charge an entrance fee, have photographers for hire, makeup and wardrobe for hire....
    Isn’t that what New York City has become?

even before Instagram humans liked easily transferable experiences & “proof” of them, after all Lord Byron carved his name on the Temple of Poseidon.

Times Square has been an Instagram background for a over a century

The world could sure use Keith Moon right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

The world could sure use Keith Moon right about now.
    He would just drink himself to death again in quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    This shit Already exists....
    https://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-...ton-instagram/

“happiness only real if shared” - instagram
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi