New computer Outlook snafu-help appreciated

Thanks for stopping by. I have a new Windows 10 computer loaded with Office 16. Setting up Outlook with my 2 email accounts, my personal account works no issues. My business account was loaded second and is the default acct. All the settings match those on a older computer that sends and receives email. The new computer sends email but does not receive it???? Any suggestions, as I have confirmed the settings match my working account. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

New computer Outlook snafu-help appreciated

(caveat: I’m not a windows guy)
    Sometimes providers change incoming & outgoing mail server names. We had this screw up our email for a couple days. Make sure the account is mapped correctly to the right servers/ports etc w/ correct options for password challenges etc. You may have to turn off auto connection to see which servers it is finding.

I just set up my new laptop
    I had something similar happen with my new company email
    I just waited and it started working
    No idea how or why, but maybe give it some time and will start working

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

People use Outlook for mail other than when they are forced to by corporate IT???

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    People use Outlook for mail other than when they are forced to by corporate IT???
    What mail program do you think is superior for setting up multiple email accounts on one platform?
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Have you tried restarting the computer? Joke, and for reelz

Have you checked the SMTP or POP3?

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    What mail program do you think is superior for setting up multiple email accounts on one platform?
    almost any mail client can do it, fwiw

Outlook fucking sucks.

But the alternatives suck as bad.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I have always had great luck with Outlook and after using it for 30 years, I would like to think I get it. This is just an odd issue. Maybe I will remove the account and try it again.

Just not enough information- what type of account is the one not working- Exchange or Office 365, IMAP, or I hope not a Pop3 account? There is a Microsoft tool called SaRa (google it) that does some diagnostics and tries to figure out. Is 2 factor authentication enabled (or MFA) where you have to use some other means of authentication other than just the password?

Is there web mail capabilities- if so have you tried to log in on that and see if it works?

And since it is a business account, what does your IT tell you, have you talked to them? You state that all the information is the same but I'd bet it is not (or it would be working like the old system).

I am the IT at my business Anyways, I removed and typed it all back in and now it works.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I am the IT at my business
    Then why are you asking on a ski forum for help with simple basic IT stuff? ;-)

Because my company IT is clueless and you have provided much help in the past

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Then why are you asking on a ski forum for help with simple basic IT stuff? ;-)
    because he's also the soap dispenser filler, head kook, payroll wizard, acquisitions analyst, and bottle washer too?
    ​I am not in your hurry

Yup...we have obviously met. If I don't do it, it doesn't get done, o but that is another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Outlook fucking sucks.

But the alternatives suck as bad.
    Thunderbird email client is really pretty solid, not much at all sucks about it in my opinion. Free and community supported.

I've used Outlook since it was released and have zero problems with it except for mobile. I don't get the hate besides Microsoft.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I've used Outlook since it was released and have zero problems with it except for mobile. I don't get the hate besides Microsoft.
    Ding ding ding.

I prefer Outlook 2010? All my folders in each address are readily visible on the tool bar under the address. In 2016 that is not the case and bugs me. Just that will make using the new computer less enjoyable and I like the old ones keyboard feel better. Less keyboard travel. To bad I need windows 10 for my loan processing software. I prefer the present setup best.

That's my beef with any and all software. I get used to something, I develop a 'workflow', and then they move around stupid shit that really didn't need moving. Or they change some default behavior. Take scroll bars for example. I think it was Gnome 3 where the default changed from advance one page to advance to position in scroll bar of mouse click. I have wasted hours trying to get each application back to the old behavior. Some I can't get back.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Thunderbird email client is really pretty solid, not much at all sucks about it in my opinion. Free and community supported.
    A few years ago, as my company grew, I found that google for business products weren't cutting it for me and I decided to switch to Office 365. Before I did that though, I did everything I could to find a cheaper solution. I was grandfathered into the Google Business solution so it was free. My research on the subject told me that Thunderbird was going to be the closest thing to a full fledged business level email client and the best competition for Outlook. I gave Thunderbird an honest shot but it just didn't cut it in terms of function and reliability. Outlook might be a little cumbersome sometimes but if you spend your day sitting in front of a computer and email is an integral part of your workflow I really don't think there's any competition.

I've heard that some people use gmail and get really good at navigating the keyboard shortcuts and they prefer that over outlook but I just don't see it. Certainly if you are just using email for personal reasons and it's not too critical then coupling Thunderbird with whatever email provider your using is fine but I really do think that in a commercial setting it's really hard to compete with the Office 365 suite of business tools. Now that there's a global pandemic and that office 365 subscription comes with MS Teams, which also integrates nicely into outlook calendar and it's even harder to beat.

I use Thunderbird too. Its very stable