Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    13,746

    A Boulevardier is really a compelling beverage

    Built up like a Negroni...
    (gin, campari, sweet vermouth; 1:1:1 w/ orange peel twist)

    ...a high class beverage, no doubt, but swap in some rye bourbon, and you have:

    the Boulevardier
    (rye bourbon, campari, sweet vermouth; 1:1:1 w/ an orange peel twist)

    i like a full-on orange slice to soak in the flavors and eaten last once the libation is done


    Beautiful warm color
    Complementary flavors, challenging but not overwhelming, tasty
    Bitter, boozy, sweet
    Maybe more comforting in colder weather, but refreshing in any season

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,953
    plus 1
    They got a name for the winners in the world

    http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    21,638
    Full agreement, as I have posted elsewhere here.

    My preferred Negroni and Boulevardier recipe is 2:1:1 however, as I prefer a bit of booze over equal balance.

    For some reason it's cold here today so I moved to a Negroni from the usual evening G&T. This just may push me into a Boulevardier to round out the evening. Thank you sir for contributing to my midweek drinking.
    I still call it The Jake.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    9,990
    I think Rye Bourbon is an oxymoron...
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,550
    More of a contradiction. There's rye, and there's boutbon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    21,638
    Rye heavy bourbon like Bulleit perhaps? Some say rye heavy mashbills stand up better in cocktails. Maybe so, but I'll take 2 oz of smooth Woodford in my Boulevardier please.
    I still call it The Jake.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,559
    Tried some Ransom sweet vermouth for my Manhattans instead of the typical Carpano. Probably the new go-to considering the bottle size, price, and local origin.

    Campari, eh? Sounds pretty fruity, but if you say it's good, I'll have to get some.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    BZN
    Posts
    1,132
    I learned about the Boulevardier here a little while back and have very much been on the bandwagon since then. Delicious in any weather.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    21,638
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Tried some Ransom sweet vermouth for my Manhattans instead of the typical Carpano. Probably the new go-to considering the bottle size, price, and local origin.

    Campari, eh? Sounds pretty fruity, but if you say it's good, I'll have to get some.
    Campari is oustanding, you will not be disappointed. Also, check out Cocchi Vermouth di Torino for your Manhattan/Boulevardier/Negroni needs; you will not be disappointed.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I still call it The Jake.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    13,746
    Bulleit is what I use
    I find the rye has a little more developed flavor (does that make any sense?)

    @mattig, looking forward to your fruity review...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,559
    Sans campari, but flush with the wife's quarantine prepper garden foliage, I have instructed my son to make me a mint julep. I'll put campari on the delivery list for my next shipment.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Bulleit is what I use
    I find the rye has a little more developed flavor (does that make any sense?)

    @mattig, looking forward to your fruity review...
    If we ever see each other again, we can have a rye party. I dig high West (both kinds), Michters, and knob Creek over bulleit, but I haven't had bulleit in a few years at least.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    13,746
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Campari is oustanding, you will not be disappointed. Also, check out Cocchi Vermouth di Torino for your Manhattan/Boulevardier/Negroni needs; you will not be disappointed.

    Gonna try & find this, thx

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    My preferred Negroni and Boulevardier recipe is 2:1:1 however, as I prefer a bit of booze over equal balance.
    i agree, especially if you are using good whiskey.

    for california mags, definitely check out St. George's Bruto Americano as a substitute for Campari. it's like...better campari. seriously. campari for grownups. fucking amazing.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,665
    Is Campari no longer for Italian old men?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    6,042
    OG114 = Rye Bourbon

    My preferred boulevardier served in a double rocks glass with a big ice ball:
    2pt OG114
    1pt Carpano Antica
    1pt Leopold Bros Aperitivo

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180824_203945-01.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	331913
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    855
    ^^ cruiser that looks fucking legit, well done.

    never had the leopold bros aperitivo, gonna have to keep an eye out for it.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,222

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    883
    sounds like a drink. and yes rye bourbon is a thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    OG114 = Rye Bourbon

    My preferred boulevardier served in a double rocks glass with a big ice ball:
    2pt OG114
    1pt Carpano Antica
    1pt Leopold Bros Aperitivo

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180824_203945-01.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	331913

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,806
    Hope oftpiste joins this thread because he made me a solid one in a past life and when this craziness is over Id like a another.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Making the Bowl Great Again
    Posts
    12,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    OG114 = Rye Bourbon

    My preferred boulevardier served in a double rocks glass with a big ice ball:
    2pt OG114
    1pt Carpano Antica
    1pt Leopold Bros Aperitivo

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180824_203945-01.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	331913
    It is 8:45 in the morning and this makes me thirsty af.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    21,638
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    It is 8:45 in the morning and this makes me thirsty af.
    Someone is getting a late start I see.
    I still call it The Jake.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    13,746
    Thurs afternoon is a good afternoon for a cocktail
    esp when were all WFH anyway
    cheers to starting a long weekend

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    712
    Fully agree with the Boulevardier love. I like a rye-heavy bourbon. Boulevardiers and Negronis are also two of the three cocktails I actually measure (third is an Aviation), since they taste off to me if the ratios aren't right.

    Also, if you're mixing these with Gallo vermouth or something of the sort, quit it. Carpano Antica is the answer.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Fully agree with the Boulevardier love. I like a rye-heavy bourbon. Boulevardiers and Negronis are also two of the three cocktails I actually measure (third is an Aviation), since they taste off to me if the ratios aren't right.

    Also, if you're mixing these with Gallo vermouth or something of the sort, quit it. Carpano Antica is the answer.
    the problem with carpano is that it only comes in a liter in utah, and it's hard for me to get thru a full liter of carpano.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •