Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Boulevardier is really a compelling beverage

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Your acceptance is very important to me. Thank you. You still sound homophobic. Hope you enjoy the Campari.
    The most popular Zweck liquer will further this important aspect.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Sure would like to be able to enjoy one of these. Now in our 2nd month with all the VT liquor stores sold out of Campari. Sucks since Negronis were our go to summer drink and this thread got us hooked on Boulevardiers.

Anyone else having trouble finding Campari? If not, where do I need to travel to get some?

liquorama.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Sure would like to be able to enjoy one of these. Now in our 2nd month with all the VT liquor stores sold out of Campari. Sucks since Negronis were our go to summer drink and this thread got us hooked on Boulevardiers.

Anyone else having trouble finding Campari? If not, where do I need to travel to get some?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

liquorama.com
    "There was a problem retrieving your shipping quote

If you are seeing this message, unfortunately we are unable to ship wine and/or spirits to your location."

The state of Vermont has a total monopoly on liquor. Nothing gets in with out their approval. Good to know it's available elsewhere.

Truly a first world problem but I want my Campari. Trying to special order it through the state. We will see how that goes.

bummer. You might try to see if you can sneak in through another online dealer.... never know.

it's also so much cheaper than monopoly states (like WA). I just bought 2 cheap 1.5's of booze here priced at $10.88 each. Price out the door was $37 with state tax bullshit!!!!! Good thing we got the state out of the booze biz. Fuckers. Campari online runs $28. In the store here it's over $40 out the door.

My typical liquorama order is around a full case. Taxes are 7%-ish, and quick shipping is $21.

Have you tried coming across the Connecticut River and tried the NH monopoly? Otherwise I can give you the half full bottle in my cabinet after I decided I don't really like Negronis (Negronii?)

There are other good aperitivos out there if campari isn't available. Contrato comes in a liter bottle and is nice and bitter. It's a good alternative as is Leopold Bros Aperitivo if you can get your hands on either of those.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    "There was a problem retrieving your shipping quote

If you are seeing this message, unfortunately we are unable to ship wine and/or spirits to your location."

The state of Vermont has a total monopoly on liquor. Nothing gets in with out their approval. Good to know it's available elsewhere.

Truly a first world problem but I want my Campari. Trying to special order it through the state. We will see how that goes.
    You live in Vermont. That means another state is at most 10 miles away.

Ok, maybe a little more, but surely you can find a reason to drive or float to NY/NH/MA depending on where you are.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    There are other good aperitivos out there if campari isn't available. Contrato comes in a liter bottle and is nice and bitter. It's a good alternative as is Leopold Bros Aperitivo if you can get your hands on either of those.
    this - or my favorite, st. george's bruto americano

Bought some Campari recently, about the pour that foul shit in the sink. Do they strain it through an ashtray before bottling it?

Gotta think if Campari's hard to come by.....

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    this - or my favorite, st. george's bruto americano
    Already in my latest liquorama order. Thing #2 invented a good drink the other night we have named "Grapefruit Juice". Gin, Bruto (used the last of it), dry vermouth, lemon or lime.

Want my address?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Bought some Campari recently, about the pour that foul shit in the sink. Do they strain it through an ashtray before bottling it?

Want my address?
    ha!

any SLC peeps can have it, but if my wife found it here it can't be rare?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Ha, very true. Last bottle we finished we got at the duty free coming back from Montreal in late February. Picked up a couple of bottles then but that avenue is now shut down.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for those and other recommendations.

Gin, Byrrh, Gran Classico (similar to Campari but more complex) is my wife's Negroni of choice. If I'm making a Boulevardier I like to use Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye (don't knock it till you've tried it = $40 and it also makes a great Manhattan with Carpano Antica). I'm also partial to a Mezcal Negroni (same other ingredients)....

We've been plying with Byrrh and while it brings its own thing to the table I don't think of it as a Campari substitute flavor and mouth-feel wise. And a hearty yes to the agavoni. We use $6.99 a bottle white tequila from liquorama.

Researching Contratto Aperetivo liqueur there appear to be 2 different ones: 1933 recipe and 1935 recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Ok, maybe a little more, but surely you can find a reason to drive or float to NY/NH/MA depending on where you are.
    Woah, you're just gonna send him out into the wilds of Upstate New York without a map or any idea of where he is just in search of some tasty apertivo?
    I still call it The Jake.

We've been plying with Byrrh and while it brings its own thing to the table I don't think of it as a Campari substitute flavor and mouth-feel wise. And a hearty yes to the agavoni. We use $6.99 a bottle white tequila from liquorama.
    I think of byrrh as an alternative to sweet vermouth rather than a Campari substitute. To me it feels like the vermouth bitterness is vegetal while the bitterness from Campari is more fruity, like citrus peel.

For those of us who dig the bitter, Punt e mes is also a nice alternative to sweet vermouth.
    In with the 9.

Researching Contratto Aperetivo liqueur there appear to be 2 different ones: 1933 recipe and 1935 recipe?
    I dunno about the other but I just checked my bottle and it's the 1935 one. Also, it's worth mentioning Nonino in any conversation about aperitivos because it is pretty special. They're proud of it tho as it usually retails for $40+...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

do any utah mags fuck around with water pocket's amaro lineup? i will sometimes play with those in a negroni, they're pretty amazing for locally made aperativos. highly recommend.

Well the great Vermont campari drought is over. Got an email response to my request letting me know the state had it back in stock. Local shop wouldn't get it until Monday so I ventured across town and grabbed some.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200821_162208.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	337815

Now that I've found how to special order from the state I'm going to try some other vermouths. Usually buy whichever semi decent one is on sale for the month.

Del professore white if they'll get you a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Boulevardier is the in vogue cocktail of 2020.

Like Aperol Spritz was of 2019
    And the disgusting Rose-Froze of 2018
    And the (old-old) Old Fashioned in 2017
    And the Moscow Mule in 2016

I am always a year ahead of this shit.

Expect big things from Fernet in 2021. Mark my words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup - I was right....

The Toronto will be the the in vogue cocktail of 2021. Canuckastani brown, fernet, bitters, sugar.

I am not ready to call 2022 yet - but my gut is it’s a citrus, brown liquor, and aperol concoction named after a mid 2000s jam.... I’ll check back in-in a year to tell you all how right I was.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA