Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I honestly never once in my life looked at a box of Uncle Bens and thought "wow thats racist". I just thought it was a dude who knew how to grow some mean rice. Just read today that apparently Southern Whites used the words "uncle" and "aunt" referring to blacks instead of "mr" or "mrs". Never knew that, growing up a yankee and all. The syrup lady, well it always seemed a bit off to me.

Odd times for sure.
    Both my Grandmothers had Mammies.

My Grandmother from North Carolina said her Mammy's name was Aunt Sarah-Jane (this would have been around 1903). She stayed behind when the family moved out west. My Grandmother from Kentucky moved out west with her Mammy and I don't recall her name. Shortly after moving to Seattle she left the employment of my grandparents and settled somewhere in Seattle (approximately 1931).

Not Gone with the Wind--The Perpetuation of the Mammy Stereotype

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Btw, shouldn't it be Ms. Butterworth? We know she's married?
    That's a pretty big gender assumption...

Denver used to have 'The White Spot' which seemed to be unintentionally inviting the wrong type of crowd.
    White Spot is a pretty famous chain of burger joints here in British Columbia, having not grown up here, I definitely was like "what the fuck??" when i first saw one.

These were my Grandmother's salt & pepper shakers and remind me of her - in my minds eye I can still see them sitting on the back of her stove in the kitchen. Not sure what to do with them. They are tucked away in a cupboard. Probably should donate them to some museum though im sure they are not rare.

Gram had the nicest soft North Carolina accent kinda like Charlie Rose. Just slight but still there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200617_134229.jpeg 
Views:	180 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	331874
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Place yer bets on when this guy will be banned.
    Never mind that guy, what about this guy??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160424_201339.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	331875

(That’s Chef Joe G. in NYC. My name is Joe G. We Joe G.’s are not amused. Well okay, we’re a little amused.)

reading this excerpt from the article I posted above I'm left to wonder about the spokesperson for Popeye's Chicken. Is she playing on a stereotype or is she genuine and what do we do if her genuine self is seen as a sterotype?

The term “mammy” and the accompanying image are no longer politically correct, making the contemporary version appear in more subtle forms. Although the Sassy Black Cook may not wear a headscarf or have a rotund figure, there are always residual characteristics of the past, says Nettles-Barcelón. She cites Carla Hall as an example; tall and lanky, Hall doesn’t physically fit the mammy stereotype but Nettles-Barcelón still thinks her personality evokes images of the past. She writes:

So, Carla Hall, as a food personality, has entered into the world of celebrity chefs. She has built a brand--herself--that utilizes many racialized and gendered stereotypes of black women and food work: being happy and entertaining, providing sustenance that is emotional, spiritual, and nutritive to her charges, sustaining her cultural heritage through foodways, and doing the work for love--love trumps everything.

Such images, says Nettles-Barcelón, can be compelling but have real life implications for black female chefs who experience pressure to conform to a certain stereotype. Instead of succumbing to the pressure, Chef Tanya Holland opted to leave her cooking show, saying, “I was in the soul kitchen, so they wanted me to act sassy. I'm from suburbia, I'm educated, I have this plethora of experience. That wasn't the way I was going to act.

Another popular chef, Gillian Clark, believed race may have contributed to her reputation of having a hot temper, telling the Washington Post, "I'm led to ask, would you buy less pancakes if Aunt Jemima wasn't smiling on the box?" Clark says. "Is it because a black person that's doing the service industry [and] not smiling is offensive, because you feel that I'm not that much further from a slave? If I'm doing a domestic or a service job and I'm not smiling, is it triggering some impulse?"

Nettles-Barcelón takes inspiration from the work of American Studies professor Patricia Turner in combatting the mammy stereotype. She tells me, “One of the interesting things she does in her work, which I've tried to emulate to some degree, is to pair this fictionalized narrative with something that was actually happening in the actual moment where we saw black women trying to disrupt the social and political order of the day.”

This approach can be used to counter the dominant image associated with Aunt Jemima. While Nancy Green was in character telling stories and serving pancakes, a group of African American feminists were also at the Chicago World’s Fair, speaking about their plight and existing racial tension. The inclusion of information like this is not only more accurate, it shifts the focus away from antiquated relics towards actual lived realities.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I see your Sambo and raise you....Nigger was a male black labrador retriever belonging to Wing Commander Guy Gibson of the Royal Air Force, and the mascot of No. 617 Squadron. Of Dambusters fame if you know any WWII history.
    Neither Gibson nor the labrador survived the war. Dog name choices aside, Guy Gibson was the real deal.

"What on God's flat earth is going on?"

Never seen him before but that guy ^^ is pretty funny. The comments from people who think he's serious are pretty money. Humorless fucks.

So, is this still funny? Or was it ever? I say yes to both.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    "What on God's flat earth is going on?"
    This actually happened a couple years ago:

https://thinkingoregon.org/2017/07/2...ent-of-reason/

Don't see anything about Flat Earth in that article. Did I miss something?

^^ I know some people, quite a few, actually, with the last name Lynch. Should I dissociate with them for fear of being an associate of racists? What about my friends, Tim and Scott White? Or Dave Black? Or Michael Green? Enough with the castigating of peoples' names. This atmosphere of political correctness has gone to being the theater of the absurd.

Don't see anything about Flat Earth in that article. Did I miss something?
    It's in the video in the twitter post KQ linked

edit: wait, you quoted it above. I'm confusimicated

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I see your Sambo and raise you....Nigger was a male black labrador retriever belonging to Wing Commander Guy Gibson of the Royal Air Force, and the mascot of No. 617 Squadron. Of Dambusters fame if you know any WWII history.
    The 1955 movie Dambusters starring Michael Redgrave has multiple sequences when the dog (as a character) is featured and called by name. I saw it a couple of years ago whey’s was laid up with the flu and about fell off the couch when I heard it.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    ^^ I know some people, quite a few, actually, with the last name Lynch. Should I dissociate with them for fear of being an associate of racists? What about my friends, Tim and Scott White? Or Dave Black? Or Michael Green? Enough with the castigating of peoples' names. This atmosphere of political correctness has gone to being the theater of the absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Denver used to have 'The White Spot' which seemed to be unintentionally inviting the wrong type of crowd.
    If you ever had black bed sheets you would understand
    . . .

Im going to a Brown Rice Matters rally tonight. Fuckin fascist-white rice
    Hello darkness my old friend

I'm with Skidog, never thought/realized that Aunt or Uncle had racist overtones, I just thought it was a brand thing. I know in Hawaii Aunt or Auntie is used as a term of respect and endearment for any woman older than you, so take that for whatever it's worth.

As far as smiles and body image, I've learned over the years that you should never trust a skinny cook, or a cook that isn't smiling when they're cooking. I just thought the brands were on point here. Hell, I chose the caterer for my wedding on sight once he walked out of the kitchen to meet us. Dude was a loud, smiling, barrel of a man. You could tell from the first words out of his mouth that food was his whole life and he loved living. And yes, his food was far better than all the other caterers we tried.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    You realize that the school district did not change the name of those schools? It was proposed but logic prevailed.

You realize that the school district did not change the name of those schools? It was proposed but logic prevailed.
    Not that I know of....look it up...Centennial district voted YES on it and you can see they are now Wood and Meadow Elementary now.

Patrick Lynch Elementary in Centennial district is still so named. And notices are in several languages
    http://pe.csd28j.org/

<reuse>

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I'm pretty amazed that Aunt Jemima lasted so long.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 06-17-2020 at 05:25 PM.

The fact it was proposed and even considered is still preposterous.

Didn't they get her picture off the bottles and out of the ads years ago? (not that it was a real picture). And couldn't Jemima be anyone's name? I'll admit it has overtones but why is that?

I'm related to a bunch of Irish Lynches. I would suggest that you not ask them to change their name, if you value your wellbeing.