Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Didn't they get her picture off the bottles and out of the ads years ago? (not that it was a real picture). And couldn't Jemima be anyone's name? I'll admit it has overtones but why is that?

Not Gone with the Wind--The Perpetuation of the Mammy Stereotype
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm related to a bunch of Irish Lynches. I would suggest that you not ask them to change their name, if you value your wellbeing.
    Cuz why? They'll lynch your ass?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Patrick Lynch Elementary in Centennial district is still so named. And notices are in several languages
    http://pe.csd28j.org/
    Sure, but the other two did.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/edu...ools/463293264

Okay... putting this where it belongs............. Honestly, it's so hard to put things in the right outrage area these days.

The University of Virginia is changing its athletics logo over links to slavery

New:

The previous design featured two crossed sabres with serpentine handles, a reference to curved walls on the UVA campus originally built to isolate enslaved people from the university community.

"After the release of our new logos on April 24th, I was made aware of the negative connotation between the serpentine walls and slavery," Williams said in a statement. "I was not previously aware of the historical perspective indicating the original eight-foot-high walls were constructed to mask the institution of slavery and enslaved laborers from public view."

Old:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I personally find it ironic that it took the folks at Quaker Oats 83 years to realize that The "Aunt Jemima" brand was racist...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Why is Yale University getting off the hook so easy?

"Elihu Yale (5 April 1649 – 8 July 1721) was an American born British merchant, slave trader, President of the East India Company settlement in Fort St. George, at Madras, and a benefactor of the Collegiate School in the Colony of Connecticut, which in 1718 was renamed Yale College in his honour."

Source" Wikipedia

I wonder if Uncle Nearest whiskey will survive?

Tennessee whiskey brand founded and owned by a black woman, Fawn Weaver. Pretty neat story actually. Doesn't mean some dope won't go starting a hashtag movement to cancel it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen....html?page=all
    I still call it The Jake.

And the first slave owner in America was a black man
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    These were my Grandmother's salt & pepper shakers and remind me of her - in my minds eye I can still see them sitting on the back of her stove in the kitchen. Not sure what to do with them. They are tucked away in a cupboard. Probably should donate them to some museum though im sure they are not rare.

Gram had the nicest soft North Carolina accent kinda like Charlie Rose. Just slight but still there.

Attachment 331874
    My grandma and grandpa had the black lawn "jockey".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    And the first slave owner in America was a black man
    Hmmmm yeah... no. There was a man named Anthony Johnson who had been an indentured survant in Virgina who won his freedom and through the courts was granted the right to own land and slaves but he was not the first slave owner in America.

The first legal slave owner in American history was a black tobacco farmer named Anthony Johnson.

Possibly true. The wording of the statement is important. Anthony Johnson was not the first slave owner in American history, but he was, according to historians, among the first to have his lifetime ownership of a servant legally sanctioned by a court.

A former indentured servant himself, Anthony Johnson was a “free negro” who owned a 250-acre farm in Virginia during the 1650s, with five indentured servants under contract to him. One of them, a black man named John Casor, claimed that his term of service had expired years earlier and Johnson was holding him illegally. In 1654, a civil court found that Johnson in fact owned Casor’s services for life, an outcome historian R Halliburton Jr. calls “one of the first known legal sanctions of slavery — other than as a punishment for crime.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Cuz why? They'll lynch your ass?
    To the curb. With vitriol. You don't want that.

Holy shit, this defines jumping the shark.

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidfrum...35635508318209

", the architect of George W. Bush’s “axis of evil,” an enormous military and strategic debacle that blew hundres of thousands of faraway brown people to pink mist, was a woke liberal all the time"

My off the boat Irish grandmother had a mean German Shepard named Ramal.

When I grew up there was a chain called Kentucky fried chicken. They shortened that to KFC.

Crazy shit I tell you.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

When I grew up there was a chain called Kentucky fried chicken. They shortened that to KFC.

Crazy shit I tell you.
    Is that like Rommel's Indian cousin?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Is that like Rommel's Indian cousin?
    I knew that I was going to misspell that, was just too lazy to confirm it.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Crazy shit I tell you.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...iss-childress/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Crazy shit I tell you.
    We had a resturant called Kentucky Beef. Soooooooooo good.

We had a resturant called Kentucky Beef. Soooooooooo good.

Fun fact, if you drive along I-75 through Lexington, you will see the the gorgeous and sprawling Kentucky Horse Park, home to the Rolex Equestrian Games and well-kept horses of well-heeled people from all over the world.

Not to be outdone, in the last few years, directly across the highway from the Horse Park is the newly constructed shrine to Kentucky beef: the Kentucky Cattlemen's Beef Center and Farm. Apparently The Bluegrass is home to the largest beef herd east of the Mississippi.

Horse shit and bull shit all on one stretch of road. Bourbon just off the next exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'm pretty amazed that Aunt Jemima lasted so long.
    I'm surprised it lasted so long because it was cheap, shitty syrup. Same with Mrs. Butterworth's. All that bullshit cut-rate syrup makes me ill just smelling it. Pure maple syrup from Costco is the only way to go. Affordable and good.

Fun fact, if you drive along I-75 through Lexington, you will see the the gorgeous and sprawling Kentucky Horse Park, home to the Rolex Equestrian Games and well-kept horses of well-heeled people from all over the world.

Not to be outdone, in the last few years, directly across the highway from the Horse Park is the newly constructed shrine to Kentucky beef: the Kentucky Cattlemen's Beef Center and Farm. Apparently The Bluegrass is home to the largest beef herd east of the Mississippi.

Horse shit and bull shit all on one stretch of road. Bourbon just off the next exit.
    Those beautiful rolling hills of Kentucky bluegrass!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I'm surprised it lasted so long because it was cheap, shitty syrup. Same with Mrs. Butterworth's. All that bullshit cut-rate syrup makes me ill just smelling it. Pure maple syrup from Costco is the only way to go. Affordable and good.

One time I bought pure maple syrup to a friend's house for a breakfast gathering and the mother who was from Sweden thought it was the most disgusting thing she'd ever tasted and reached for the comfort of her Golden Griddle. <shudder>

land o lakes buteer indian woman is gone now too, but its better than the store brand; luckily for them.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

nice

In college I had a friend that made a bong out of an old glass Aunt Jemima bottle. It was great. the bowl sat right where her hands clasped together over here apron.
    They made bongs in the 50’s?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    They made bongs in the 50’s?
    Pffffffffftttttttttt! Reefer madness was filmed in 1936!

They made weed in the 30s?