Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4F4DBFB8-440E-4E9F-A17D-57683FB4AA46.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	712.4 KB 
ID:	331920

They’re probably going to have to change the South Park flag now too.

We just axed some families royalty check.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    One time I bought pure maple syrup to a friend's house for a breakfast gathering and the mother who was from Sweden thought it was the most disgusting thing she'd ever tasted and reached for the comfort of her Golden Griddle. <shudder>
    Heh. My kid says that he "feels bad" for kids who don't get real maple syrup and are raised on that HFC shit.

Only white, upper middle class people can afford real maple syrup.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

jgb@etree Guest
    I'd like to think we're just woke as fuck and have been boycotting aunt jemima and mrs butterworth as symbols of racism for years.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Ive got 2 gallons. 300 per gallon. Can break it down.

No low ballers. I know what Ive got.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Some honest perspective, I don't recall ever referring to what today would be called domestic help (in the day we simply said "maid") as aunt and uncle and we certianly didn't EVER use the term "mammy." We found such references in movies quaint but distant, just as you would. I didn't recall any of my real aunts uncles / older family ever using those terms either. I did hear some quite unpleasant slurs on occasion, but it was rare and mostly from a certain uncle, though I did hear my father say the same a few times.

Certainly doesn't excuse or make anything any better.

Small town rural south carolina. To be honest, as children we always called them by their first names, and they were ALWAYS african-american. We were vaguely aware they had last names. Growing up we had a maid maybe 12-15 hrs a week, and a handful of days a year I'd see walter in the yard. He would always threaten to tie me up in a sack and throw me in the river with a good natured smile. Probably should have done so.

I will weep over the loss of Aunt Jemima syrup and uncle ben rice, love them both. Buttersworth notsomuch.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Ive got 2 gallons. 300 per gallon. Can break it down.
    No low ballers. I know what Ive got.
    Uncle Jed get the still going again?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Uncle Jed get the still going again?
    I think Bobby is referring to that sweet, sweet, Quebec cocaine.
    I still call it The Jake.

My bad. I thought once the leaves were out on the trees it was moonshine season down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    My grandma and grandpa had the black lawn "jockey".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    One of my previous neighbors in Boulder has one of these in the front yard. What's up with that little dude? I always chalked it up to blatant racism, but there must be a story behind him.

and another one.... Will be interesting if all human mascots black, white, asian, hispanic etc. except for famous personalities disappear.

Cream of Wheat is reviewing its black mascot after Aunt Jemima and others acknowledged their racist roots

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    One of my previous neighbors in Boulder had one of these in the front yard. What's up with that little dude? Must be a story behind him.

Lawn jockey

A lawn jockey is a small statue of a man in jockey clothes, intended to be placed in front yards as hitching posts, similar to those of footmen bearing lanterns near entrances and gnomes in gardens.

The lawn ornament, popular in certain parts of the United States in years past,[when?] was a cast replica, usually about half-scale or smaller, usually of a man dressed in jockey's clothing and holding up one hand as though taking the reins of a horse. The hand sometimes carries a metal ring (suitable for hitching a horse in the case of solid concrete or iron versions) and in some cases a lantern, which may or may not be operational.

Originally a welcoming symbol to guests and providing to those on horseback with a practical and novel hitching post, later statues eventually became only decorative and not well suited for hitching a horse, often favored by those wishing to evoke an Old South or equestrian ambiance.

Historically, black jockeys were commonplace. Several styles have been produced, with the most prolific being a shorter version commonly known as "jocko" and a taller version known as "cavalier spirit". The former is of stockier build, with a hunched posture; the latter generally is more slender. Typically these statues are made of concrete, but also are made of other materials such as iron, and may be found in poly resin and aluminum. Despite often being categorized as kitsch or racist, lawn jockeys are still in demand. Both styles are still manufactured and sold.

Revolutionary War origin legend
    An apocryphal and never substantiated account of the figure's origin portrays the statue as representing a hero of African American history and culture. According to the River Road African American Museum the figure originated in commemoration of heroic dedication to duty: "It is said that the 'lawn jockey' has its roots in the tale of one Jocko Graves, an African-American youth who served with General George Washington at the time that he crossed the Delaware to carry out his surprise attack on Hessian forces at Trenton, NJ. The General thought him too young to take along on such a dangerous attack, so left him on the Pennsylvania side to tend to the horses and to keep a light on the bank for their return. So the story goes, the boy, faithful to his post and his orders, froze to death on the river bank during the night, the lantern still in his hand. The General was so much moved by the boy's devotion to his duty that he had a statue sculpted and cast of him, holding the lantern, and had it installed at his Mount Vernon estate. He called the sculpture The Faithful Groomsman."

The most frequently cited source for the story is Kenneth W. Goings in Mammy and Uncle Mose (Indiana University Press, 1994), though he regards it as apocryphal. The story was told as well in a 32-page children's book by Earl Kroger Sr., Jocko: A Legend of the American Revolution (1963). There is also a 13-page typescript titled "A Horse for the General: The Story of Jocko Graves" (1972), by Thomas William Halligan, in the archives of the University of Alaska Anchorage / Alaska Pacific University Consortium Library.[5]

The Revolutionary War legend is not corroborated by historical records. Mount Vernon's librarian Ellen McCallister Clark wrote in a letter to Baltimore's Enoch Pratt Free Library: "No record of anybody by the name of Jocko Graves, nor any account of somebody freezing to death holding Washington's horses, exists in the extensive historical record of the time."
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    My bad. I thought once the leaves were out on the trees it was moonshine season down there?
    You're not wrong.

When I was up in the mountains a few weeks ago my buddy received his first growler of peach moonshine from a neighbor. It was super smooth stuff.

Back in the 90's we had some neighbors that had a lawn jockey in front of their door. A couple of surfer bros, they found it at a yard sale. I guess it was supposed to be Ironic. Of course the mailman for our street was some young African American guy, good dude, always really serious about delivering mail. Well, the neighbors with the lawn jockey were always complaining about missing mail - checks, bills, etc. We never lost anything. It was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    You're not wrong.

When I was up in the mountains a few weeks ago my buddy received his first growler of peach moonshine from a neighbor. It was super smooth stuff.
    This is good local info. And why I come here, even though I had to wade through one of KQ's Google regurgitations.

RIP Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    reading this excerpt from the article I posted above I'm left to wonder about the spokesperson for Popeye's Chicken. Is she playing on a stereotype or is she genuine and what do we do if her genuine self is seen as a sterotype?

.[/I]
    This pisses me off. I mostly wander around in a haze of alcohol and weed induced notgiveafuckdom. I see this lady talking about “my chicken” “my sandwich” and shit and they make it seem like she has some leadership role either in the kitchen or the operations. I was happy to believe that until many years into the campaign, I gave it a second thought and looked it up. Nope. She’s an actress from Barbados who grew up in Atlanta and has an aerospace engineering degree.

So yeah. Total fucking stereotype. If they show the actual owner it’s a bunch of white assholes. You gonna buy fried chicken from some dick Cheny looking motherfucker or this lady who’s like the Titchaba of fried bird?

If she grew up in Atlanta, chances are that no matter what else, she does know a thing or two about fried chicken. That said, I think even the accent is an act and I kinda hated Popeyes for it.

Haven’t seen her in a spell though. New campaign has actors who are juxtaposed against the set to appear that they are random employees who are proud of the cooking. There’s short dread dude in the current one. She might be done.

I get it I guess. I mean u wanna buy chicken from Jake from State Farm or you wanna buy chicken from Ms. Annie? It’s not like anything about Popeyes is authentic, not sure why I was gullible enough to think the spokesperson was.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Did we already cover Mrs Butterworths is going to change the bottle?

Cause it looks like they are.

Watch your back Count Chocula.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    This pisses me off. I mostly wander around in a haze of alcohol and weed induced notgiveafuckdom. I see this lady talking about “my chicken” “my sandwich” and shit and they make it seem like she has some leadership role either in the kitchen or the operations. I was happy to believe that until many years into the campaign, I gave it a second thought and looked it up. Nope. She’s an actress from Barbados who grew up in Atlanta and has an aerospace engineering degree.

So yeah. Total fucking stereotype. If they show the actual owner it’s a bunch of white assholes. You gonna buy fried chicken from some dick Cheny looking motherfucker or this lady who’s like the Titchaba of fried bird?

If she grew up in Atlanta, chances are that no matter what else, she does know a thing or two about fried chicken. That said, I think even the accent is an act and I kinda hated Popeyes for it.

Haven’t seen her in a spell though. New campaign has actors who are juxtaposed against the set to appear that they are random employees who are proud of the cooking. There’s short dread dude in the current one. She might be done.

I get it I guess. I mean u wanna buy chicken from Jake from State Farm or you wanna buy chicken from Ms. Annie? It’s not like anything about Popeyes is authentic, not sure why I was gullible enough to think the spokesperson was.

I think the biggest issue here is that she’s from Atlanta and she went to work for Popeyes.

What’s next? An ad deal for Pepsi?

I swear to God if they take the afro people off my cans of Murray’s hair creme I’m moving to Canada.

Name:  0C514E09-D13A-4E1C-97C4-96E20AE384D1.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  89.5 KB

What about earl Campbell’s hotlinks? They have some big black guy on the package?! Like a big black guy is supposed to know about bbq?

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

They could just remove the nice lady pictured and replace her with a box of Marlboros or something else that's highly addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    It’s not like anything about Popeyes is authentic,
    Now hold on, I knew Al Copeland (he started Popeye's) a little, he was a client after he sold Popeye's and was starting Copeland's (a smaller, more upscale chain that still exists) and that guy was legit down-home N'awlins for sure and was a big foodie too. So Popeye's started out legit at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Some honest perspective, I don't recall ever referring to what today would be called domestic help (in the day we simply said "maid") as aunt and uncle and we certianly didn't EVER use the term "mammy." We found such references in movies quaint but distant, just as you would. I didn't recall any of my real aunts uncles / older family ever using those terms either. I did hear some quite unpleasant slurs on occasion, but it was rare and mostly from a certain uncle, though I did hear my father say the same a few times.

Certainly doesn't excuse or make anything any better.

Small town rural south carolina. To be honest, as children we always called them by their first names, and they were ALWAYS african-american. We were vaguely aware they had last names. Growing up we had a maid maybe 12-15 hrs a week, and a handful of days a year I'd see walter in the yard. He would always threaten to tie me up in a sack and throw me in the river with a good natured smile. Probably should have done so.

I will weep over the loss of Aunt Jemima syrup and uncle ben rice, love them both. Buttersworth notsomuch.
    To add, I was born and lived in North Carolina near Pinehurst til I was about 7, this was around 1960. We had a maid named Sadie, she and I were tight and she was like a 2nd mother.

She seemed way old at the time, like most adults. Turns out she was in her late 20s then.

I never thought it was odd that she lived in a neighboring town Ador that was all black. There were no blacks allowed in our town, Southern Pines. They came during the day, did the work and then went to their town.

As for Lawn Jockeys:

[Verse 1]
    Whoa, are we moving too slow
    Have you seen us, Uncle Remus
    We look pretty sharp in these clothes (yes we do)
    Unless we get sprayed with a hose
    It ain't bad in the day if they squirt it your way
    Except in the winter when it's froze
    And it's hard if it hits on your nose (On your nose)

[Verse 2]
    Just keep your nose to the grindstone they say
    Will that redeem us, Uncle Remus
    I can't wait til my fro is full grown
    I'll just throw away my du-rag at home
    I'll take a drive to Beverly Hills just before dawn
    And knock the little jockeys off the rich people's lawn
    And before they get up I'll be gone, I'll be gone
    Before they get up I'll be knocking the jockeys off the lawn
    Down in the dew
    Thank you Frank.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"