Buying a car on the line?

Any tips for buying a car though email? I have never done this before, the City where the truck I want to buy has strict rules/laws right now with fines and shit. So I guess we are doing this over email.

Depends on the state. I’ve heard more than a few horror stories of dealers doing a bait and switch w loans after you’ve got the vehicle back home and thousands of miles away

I have, though only with a new vehicle, and only after test-driving the options so I knew exactly what I wanted. Went fine.

I’ve done a few all internet deals for CPO vehicles. They go through serious inspections and have great warranties , so pretty low risk.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

You can usually get a better deal buying through the internet salesman at a dealer, pre-Covid anyway. I have sent emails to 5 or 6 dealers that were in the area and let them come back with prices. Be sure to tell them you want a detailed list by line item, showing all costs. Offer to pick it up at a time when the dealership is not busy so you are not halting more profitable sales. Somebody will want the sale more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    You can usually get a better deal buying through the internet salesman at a dealer, pre-Covid anyway. I have sent emails to 5 or 6 dealers that were in the area and let them come back with prices. Be sure to tell them you want a detailed list by line item, showing all costs. Offer to pick it up at a time when the dealership is not busy so you are not halting more profitable sales. Somebody will want the sale more than others.
    This.

Email dealers within 100 miles, letting them know exactly the model you want, that you already have financing (you do already have financing, right?), and you will only consider the best price among them so they should only respond with their best price.

I’ve been buying new cars like this since 1998 and always am comfortable that I’m paying the best price available and there is no animosity with the salesman or dealer.

I got lucky in 2016 when I bought my truck. The local dealer was the best price.