Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Auto Third Row Seating

Suggestions?

There are five in the MT household 5-10 140 or bigger. Plus 80lb golden. We've had suburbans since 1999 and while they handle all the cargo like a champ, and go anywhere, we keep blowing engines .

Looking for options and am strongly considering toyota products.

Whatcha got? pros & cons etc. thanks kindly MT
    "Can't you see..."

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Suggestions?

There are five in the MT household 5-10 140 or bigger. Plus 80lb golden. We've had suburbans since 1999 and while they handle all the cargo like a champ, and go anywhere, we keep blowing engines .

Looking for options and am strongly considering toyota products.

Whatcha got? pros & cons etc. thanks kindly MT
    Regular 3rd row, or rear facing 3rd row? Extremely fond memories of riding in the "way back" as a kid. Right before my son was born, my wife & I were driving home from VT when we saw a nasty accident happen 3-4 cars in front of us. A pickup truck plowed into the rear of an old taurus wagon. Both kids in the way back were dead by the time I could stop, get out and run to the wrecked car (<60 seconds). That mental image stuck around for a while and was tough to shake. As such, I've had an allroad w/ 3rd row seat for 15 years. Kid is 11 next week, you can be sure as shit I've never let him sit back there.

forward faacing. Heard great things from our local toyo shop about v8 4-runners through about 2008 (certian engine) with third row. I realize the five + dog means NO interior cargo space; cipher the roof or the platform thingy on the hitch; or our small 4/6 trailer can handle....
    "Can't you see..."

That's a sucky situation you ran into there jgb, and i can understand your feelings about the way back, but i would think the way back in a truck is safer than the back seat of most cars. That being said 3rd row seating in some SUVs are usually much less space than a regular row and getting back there is a PITA. I got a Sorento and they offered the 3rd row seating and it was not big enough except for small kids. Nobody 5'10" is going to be able to hang for more then 20 minutes. Maybe a Highlander 3rd row would be big enough.

Does it have to be an SUV? Minivans are way better at that use case provided you don't need clearance/major towing capacity. Mine handles my 6'+ friends like a champ when we do dude weekends.

^^ This. A Transit Connect XL Titanium with mid roof and 6 seats ought to be just right. Take out one of the seats and there's plenty of room for the furry ones or a bunch of stuff. I'm also seeing some great deals on full size conversion vans as people are unloading things they don't need as much as they need $$ right now.

If a suburban can't handle it, I am not sure what will.

Sienna mini-van? Highlander or Honda Pilot? 4-Runner is never a wrong answer. We are family of five and have both a sienna, it's our paid for beater, and a Highlander, newer, still paying. We don't have a big dog. We have crammed enough stuff in the Sienna for a multi day beach trip to Maine. And we have pulled our pop-up camper to Maine for longer trips in our previous Sienna, although I heard the motor blew for the next owner after we traded it in. I am not a huge fan of the Highlander for various reasons, wish I had a third row 4-Runner.

Still in awe about blowing motors in Suburbans. Are you also towing a semi trailer???

^ nah. son fried the first one, he had no idea what had happened. Guy at the shop said the fact that the interior temp sensors in the engine were melted was not a good sign.

yesterday I did basically the same thing. Movin MT #5 outta Florida state, crusing along in in bumfck southwest georgia, (an odessey for another day) I'm deep into a podcast and realize the engine isn't running anymore. weird. then I see the temp gauge is about to literally explode. It never cranked again. RIP.
    "Can't you see..."

Odd that you have blown up two suburbans.
    Those engines are pretty strong.

But hard to beat a full-size van for hauling shit.
    Suburbans fill up very quickly.

Minivans work also. Wife had a Toyota Sienna.
    Hauled way more kids dog and luggage than the Tahoe she has now
    . . .

^ cooling has always been an issue in 5.7 liter chevy products over 100k; in both I replaced radiators at least once.
    "Can't you see..."

^ cooling has always been an issue in 5.7 liter chevy products over 100k; in both I replaced radiators at least once.
    Good to know. I’ve got a 250k 2007 suburban. Mechanic rebuilt at 180k.
    And a 2006 Chevy AWD van with 100k.

Might be time for radiator flush and inspection.
    . . .

I'll need one of these soon. I was surprised to see many of the cross over types have less ground clearance than my XC70. In the winter I frequently drive on dirt roads that are semi-regularly plowed. Don't need a lifted truck, but I also don't want something worse in unpacked snow. I'm especially curious how the hybrid Highlander does, with the rear wheels getting power from a battery.

Also, how functional is the 4Runner 3rd row? I'll probably get something that gets better mileage, but a more capable vehicle is appealing.

Sequoia? Read somewhere that it leads pack in terms of longevity with original owners. Based on experience with my Tundra (5.7, v8) I’d say the engine will be solid for north of 200-300k.

Can't comment on the V8 4runner third row, but I can comment on the vehicle itself. I've got 225k miles on mine and it still runs brand new. Obviously never gets stuck but you can google all the 4runner praise, I don't need to add to the hype It's incredibly reliable but also easy to work on, nothing like many modern vehicles. Most parts can be replaced with just a couple of easy bolts.
    Another option to look at is the Lexus GX470, its actually the same vehicle with a dentist approved interior, higher roofline, and swing out rear door instead of lift. Often times used ones are actually cheaper than V8 4runners depending on where you live (No boulder ski bum wants to be seen in the Lexus even though its arguably better).

Cons is obviously fuel milage, with a lift and large offroad tires I get about 18 highway.

Sis just cross shopped Land Cruiser, Suburban and Sequoia with similar parameters MT (two kids two big dogs lots of sailing gear and a need to tow).

Came down to Sequoia and Suburban and went Suburban. As you know acres of space, 2nd row captain chairs and full 3rd row bench.

Dealer threw about $15k in incentives on the hood.

She traded in her 4Runner which had a 3rd row and it was painful getting in and out of that space even for the kids.
    I still call it The Jake.

We're on month 6 of owning an Atlas. Tons of seating including a nice big third row. SEL can be optioned like an Audi. Check it.

Uhhhggg.

That is exactly where we got to when we replaced the first one. Looked hard at a pilot and just could not see our then 14-17 yr olds getting in the back seat. I can see the need to haul boat & gear on the horzon as well.

just tired of thse things running hot and melting.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Sis just cross shopped Land Cruiser, Suburban and Sequoia with similar parameters MT (two kids two big dogs lots of sailing gear and a need to tow).

Came down to Sequoia and Suburban and went Suburban. As you know acres of space, 2nd row captain chairs and full 3rd row bench.

Dealer threw about $15k in incentives on the hood.

She traded in her 4Runner which had a 3rd row and it was painful getting in and out of that space even for the kids.
    "Can't you see..."

2 kids, 2 large dogs, ski vehicle, camping, water sports, light towing, need room for friends.....
    Market does not agree with me but we chose the Expedition EL/Max over the Suburban/Yukon. Similar level of interior materials, better fit and finish, lower load height, drives noticeably better and alot cheaper. Last gen comparision so new GM update may change that view. Been very good so far but we're low mileage drivers so it'll take a long time to get to 100k.

Interesting to hear that about the 5.7. I have 270k on my Tahoe with the 5.3 and it has never had a cooling issue. I did replace the trans a couple years ago. Pulls my trailer with ease. Has a third row but when it's in you have almost no room in the back. Best vehicle I have ever owned, knock on wood.

^ Watch yer fittings. this second one failed where the heater hoze meets the manifold. It was much older (1998) and the guage is the only warning.
    "Can't you see..."

Highlander owner. 3rd row seat is for those few times when your kids want to bring a couple of friends locally. And not much gear. IMO a van is more practical for larger families if you don't want to go the Suburban route again.

Have had several vans in the past. Best (and largest) was the Olds Silhouette.

Tahoe RST with 6.2L engine?

I guess I'd never consider a high mileage American vehicle as a 'forever' vehicle. Get them to 90K and get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    We're on month 6 of owning an Atlas. Tons of seating including a nice big third row. SEL can be optioned like an Audi. Check it.
    Wife looked at the 4runner 3-row before buying a VW Atlas SEL with a third row. She said the Atlas was bigger. Her old SUV was a 1998 UrbanRunner, so she was a long time fan of Toyotas. It's not too difficult getting into the third row. I miss the old UrbanRunner though for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Sequoia? Read somewhere that it leads pack in terms of longevity with original owners. Based on experience with my Tundra (5.7, v8) I’d say the engine will be solid for north of 200-300k.
    I have a 2006 Sequoia. It has the 4.7 V8, I think the 5.7 started in 2008.

I removed the 3rd row the day I bought it so I cannot speak to those seats (ie comfortable for what size human) though they seem full size. Love the thing, it's a well known bomber engine (which is one reason I bought it), I have about 200k on it (bought at 125k) and plan to drive for many years. The 5.7 is equally well regarded, AFAIK. The V8 4Runners have the same engine but they are definitely smaller (which probably gives them better mpg but less space for all the people). My rig would have some cargo space even with the 3rd row in there.

Have done some mild 4 wheeling, it handles that well, and it's good in snow (as good as a monster SUV can be I guess).

I would recommend it highly EXCEPT it gets terrible gas mileage. As in 13mpg is my usual tank. If I drive 55-65 I can push up to 17mpg, but if I push up to 75-80 it's back down to 14-15. I get 8-10 when pulling my camper.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy