Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2016 sprinter rust

So I bought a new sprinter in 2016, have put 37k hard miles on it. Now I have rust peppering the driver door and lower portion of the driver side panels, and serious bubbling of the paint under rock chips above the windshield.

It’s a 100k 5 year paint and rust warranty...my Toyota w 140k had a good that looks like it to shotgun pellets with no rust. It feels like this should be a warranty issue.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Uh.......5 year rust warranty and you have rust at four years. Start by asking for a new sprinter as this one is now fucked by year 5.

I like it. New sprinter or at the very least a mural of a Viking w an ak47 riding over a rainbow

I've seen some rusty ass sprinters driving around the area, like way worse than vehicles of similar age, so I'd say you aren't alone. Did you buy it locally? I'm willing to bet dealing with a paint/rust warranty will be a pain in the ass but I hope I'm wrong.

Rust warranties are rust- through, I think - - perforation hole, not surface, no matter how much is surface. So get that rust to get worse before your warranty runs out.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

https://vancampinglife.com/why-do-sp...0the%20problem.

Worst rust I've had was an E150 that I bought new and had Ziebarted. The goop plugged up the drain holes in the doors and front fenders.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I like it. New sprinter or at the very least a mural of a Viking w an ak47 riding over a rainbow
    Forget the new rig, just get the mural!

In the UK/EU you're out of warranty as: "Protection for the outer, finish-painted, metal panels against corrosion and perforation for five years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first". Is it different in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Forget the new rig, just get the mural!
    Whoaa, don"t disservice the Viking with a Kalasnjikov. Atleast equip him with a H&K G3...

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    In the UK/EU you're out of warranty as: "Protection for the outer, finish-painted, metal panels against corrosion and perforation for five years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first". Is it different in the US?
    37k is less than 100,000, and 2016 was only four years ago, am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    37k is less than 100,000, and 2016 was only four years ago, am I missing something?
    My bad, too many beers. I read the splats post that he'd bought in 2014 . Carry on, move along, nothing to see here.

So I bought a new sprinter in 2016, have put 37k hard miles on it. Now I have rust peppering the driver door and lower portion of the driver side panels, and serious bubbling of the paint under rock chips above the windshield.

It’s a 100k 5 year paint and rust warranty...my Toyota w 140k had a good that looks like it to shotgun pellets with no rust. It feels like this should be a warranty issue.....

So interestingly enough I have the exact same issue. 2016 purchased brand new with 88k miles. Small rust spots appearing only on the drivers side but no spots anywhere else (but plenty of scratches everywhere).

What color is yours? Maybe it’s a bad paint or something.

M-B or FORD?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

M-B

Have you spoken to Sean at Ken Garff service? He's sure to help you out
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    your math seems off. 2016 OP stated 37K "hard miles" on. We are currently in 2020 (if memory serves) which means its 4 years (under 5) and WAY under 100K miles.

What color is yours? Maybe it’s a bad paint or something.

I think it’s Graphite Gray Metallic?

From everything I’ve read online I doubt they’ll do anything about it. They’ll just say it was from outside damage like a rock chip.

That's why you get the entire body sprayed with Line-X.

I just spoke to my buddy who lives in P.C. and has a 2015 M-B Sprinter that he bought new and with hard miles on it. His is sort of beige. He told me that he developed scattered rust in most of the places where after market work was done on the rig. Drains, outlets, any cuts in metal, etc. That stuff is not covered by warranty, and may void the warranty all together. Also, rust started by rocks, knicks and scratches are not covered.

It seems to be rock chips on the front but the whole drivers side of the vehicle is a mystery to me

haha I suppose I saw it too, although I don’t even know how to react, because you don’t often see this

I’ve been a car detailer for 32 years and the “tiny surface rust spots” you are describing are from the metal in the brake pads dusting the side of the vehicle(usually door handle area and below) and continuing around the back of the vehicle. You often hear the term “semi metallic” brake pads and that’s because their is metal along with organic material in brake pads to make them last longer.

The heavier the vehicle, the more metallic in pads so every suv, van etc will have this surface oxidation but it’s more easily seen on lighter colored vehicles. A smaller car’s pads are not usually not as metallic unless they are track pads.
    If one side of the car is way more severe spotting than the other, it may signify a seize caliper or completely worn pad so that wheel is throwing off tons of metallic dust. You’ll also notice the wheels(front especially) will have an orange tint because of the surface rust on them as well.

All is not lost and all it takes is a decontamination spray which there are lots out there to get rid of these spots. Spray on, wait a minute and wash off. Only switching to ceramic pads(which have no metal) when the pads need replacing will eliminate these spots from reappearing.

As far as the other spots, get the dealer to look at them first as they may repair them for you. Might be iffy if they were chips left unpainted. Worse case, get someone to clean the area fully before sealing with paint. Always a good idea to paint stone chips or any bare metal scratches before they can rust.

This thread is worthless without pics. It sounds like the damage could be more severe than what noslow is describing.

Another cause of small rust chips is "rail dust," from when vehicles are transported by train. It is typically only noticeable on white cars and causes damage similar to what noslow is describing. In both cases, this is from small metallic fragments embedded in the paint. I think Destrusor is describing actual damage to the sheet metal and rusting below the paint.

I see lots of sprinters running around looking like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2127.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	331838

^^^^

Huge thanks. Never even considered the brake pads.