Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Iíve been a car detailer for 32 years and the ďtiny surface rust spotsĒ you are describing are from the metal in the brake pads dusting the side of the vehicle(usually door handle area and below) and continuing around the back of the vehicle. You often hear the term ďsemi metallicĒ brake pads and thatís because their is metal along with organic material in brake pads to make them last longer.

The heavier the vehicle, the more metallic in pads so every suv, van etc will have this surface oxidation but itís more easily seen on lighter colored vehicles. A smaller carís pads are not usually not as metallic unless they are track pads.
    If one side of the car is way more severe spotting than the other, it may signify a seize caliper or completely worn pad so that wheel is throwing off tons of metallic dust. Youíll also notice the wheels(front especially) will have an orange tint because of the surface rust on them as well.

All is not lost and all it takes is a decontamination spray which there are lots out there to get rid of these spots. Spray on, wait a minute and wash off. Only switching to ceramic pads(which have no metal) when the pads need replacing will eliminate these spots from reappearing.

As far as the other spots, get the dealer to look at them first as they may repair them for you. Might be iffy if they were chips left unpainted. Worse case, get someone to clean the area fully before sealing with paint. Always a good idea to paint stone chips or any bare metal scratches before they can rust.
    Is there an advantage to sprays over a clay bar for small specs (rail dust)?

Rail dust is on new vehicles transported by rail as mentioned and usually more on the roof, hood etc and a lighter mist usually. Sometimes you wonít see spots on the car yet when you clay bar, the bar is lifting off lots of embedded material. Will easily come off with clay bar but these decontamination sprays attack metal issues harder and easier. Sprays save tons of time on heavy SUVs.

Clay bars are used all over the vehicle after I use decontamination sprays on the sides and rear of the vehicles. Clay bard will remove those spots(but take WAY longer doing it) but also will remove sap, tar etc, so still an important process before polishing and sealing the vehicle.

That rusty Sprinter pic shows the issues of bare metal scratches not being painted and sealed. Iím sure there are large scratches down to bare metal on the top of all those rust spots. Also how some vehicles actually start rusting below door handles and hinges where there might be bare metal exposed to the elements.

So if itís an SUV with lots of visible surface oxidation spots, it gets decontamination spray and clay bar the whole vehicle after. Wheels get decontamination spray cleaned too. Sports cars usually only need clay bar before polishing and just degreaser on the wheels.

Rail dust is on new vehicles transported by rail as mentioned and usually more on the roof, hood etc and a lighter mist usually. Sometimes you wonít see spots on the car yet when you clay bar, the bar is lifting off lots of embedded material. Will easily come off with clay bar but these decontamination sprays attack metal issues harder and easier.

Clay bars are used all over the vehicle after I use decontamination sprays on the sides and rear of the vehicles to get rid of brake dust issues. Clay bar will remove those spots(but take longer doing it) but also will remove sap, tar etc, so still an important process before polishing and sealing the vehicle.

That rusty Sprinter pic shows the issues of bare metal scratches not being painted and sealed. Iím sure there are large scratches down to bare metal on the top of all those rust spots. Also how some vehicles actually start rusting below door handles and hinges where there might be bare metal exposed to the elements.
    I was asking more with respect to my own vehicle which has a few minor specs here and there. Good info, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I was asking more with respect to my own vehicle which has a few minor specs here and there. Good info, thanks.
    If you see spots, sprays are way quicker to remove them(along with getting your wheels way cleaner too) and then use the clay bar after to clean the entire vehicle. You could use with the clay bar only, it will just take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I see lots of sprinters running around looking like this:
    Attachment 331838
    Yes...this is exactly what I see all the time too. When they were talking about colors, I was going to mention white because most of the very rusty knes Isee are white. Thatís probably just because theyíre the fleet trucks getting used hard though.

Noslow, great tips, thanks. Any decontamination spray in particular you recommend? Up in Canada here, so if you have a couple recommendations, may improve my ability to get my hands on one. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

QUOTE=shafty85;6007552]Noslow, great tips, thanks. Any decontamination spray in particular you recommend? Up in Canada here, so if you have a couple recommendations, may improve my ability to get my hands on one. Thanks!

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/a...-0396166p.html

Canadian Tire usually stocks this stuff at all locations and can check inventory online. Fellow Canadian in London, Ontario!

QUOTE=shafty85;6007552]Noslow, great tips, thanks. Any decontamination spray in particular you recommend? Up in Canada here, so if you have a couple recommendations, may improve my ability to get my hands on one. Thanks!

Canadian Tire usually stocks this stuff at all locations and can check inventory online. Fellow Canadian in London, Ontario!
    Thanks noslow!

Fantastic, thanks. We have it stocked locally.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."