Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Hulu - Streaming Recs

We already have good threads for Netflix and Amazon Prime so thought we were overdue for a Hulu one.

Anyway, wife and I just watched Demolition Man this weekend. What a fun early 90s over the top action flick. I remember thinking it was kinda cheesy when I saw it in theaters back in '93 but revisiting it, it's actually held up REALLY well and is a ton of fun. When I was young, I didn't realize that the campiness was intentional, so it definitely has a bit more charm now that I get what they were going for (much like Starship Troopers). Now that we're also in a germophobic society these days, I cracked up at a ton of stuff in it.

So many hilarious little details in there. Highly recommended for a rewatch if you haven't seen it since the 90s. I rate it 3 seashells out of 3.

Who here uses Hulu? What do you recommend?

Letterkenny and It's always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Hamilton's Pharmacopeia is a pretty interesting documentary series.

LITTLE MONSTERS
    If you dig irreverent Zom Coms in the vein of Shaun of the Dead or Anna and the Apocalypse or Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse, then this overlooked little gem is seriously worth a watch:

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 06-19-2022 at 01:09 AM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I may have to sign up for Hulu just for this:

Hulu - Streaming Recs

I’ve been binging “Lost”. Watched it when it was on ABC years ago...was interested in watching it again.

My only gripe with Hulu (I got the Disney+ bundle).....is I didn’t realize it had commercials....which kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I’ve been binging “Lost”. Watched it when it was on ABC years ago...was interested in watching it again.

My only gripe with Hulu (I got the Disney+ bundle).....is I didn’t realize it had commercials....which kinda sucks.
    If you are willing to pay more, you can get add-free Hulu.

Couple episodes of Seinfeld can feel like the good old days of cable reruns.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    If you are willing to pay more, you can get add-free Hulu.
    Yeah...I just assumed the bundle I signed up for had the ad-free Hulu. I was wrong..oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Yeah...I just assumed the bundle I signed up for had the ad-free Hulu. I was wrong..oh well.
    I watched ads on Hulu for a month or two, until I got sick of that and finally ponied up.

Last night, the wife and I watched "Colossal" with Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis on Hulu. Indie film that was a fun spin on the kaiju genre. Worth a watch if you want a movie with a bit of monster fun but your lady might actually enjoy. Wife is NOT into Godzilla or anything like that but really enjoyed this one. More of a dramedy than an action movie so view it with that lens in mind and you might like it!

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Last night, the wife and I watched "Colossal" with Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis on Hulu. Indie film that was a fun spin on the kaiju genre. Worth a watch if you want a movie with a bit of monster fun but your lady might actually enjoy. Wife is NOT into Godzilla or anything like that but really enjoyed this one. More of a dramedy than an action movie so view it with that lens in mind and you might like it!

That film was a mixed bag for me.
    Promoted as a light-hearted fantasy, yet it is teeming with some seriously heavy emotional content.
    To wit, you seem to have overlooked (or perhaps you just missed?) the creepy sexual assault subtext...

😎

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    That film was a mixed bag for me.
    Promoted as a light-hearted fantasy, yet it is teeming with some seriously heavy emotional content.
    To wit, you seem to have overlooked (or perhaps you just missed?) the creepy sexual assault subtext...

Haha. Yeah. The advertising was certainly misleading. Hate it when they do that. Also why I love watching movies I've never paid attention to the promotions for. I usually enjoy movies more when I have no idea what I'm in for.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I liked Palm Springs. Pretty much a millennial Groundhog Day rom-com, but I thought Cristin Milioti was cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I liked Palm Springs. Pretty much a millennial Groundhog Day rom-com, but I thought Cristin Milioti was cute.
    Agreed! That was a fun one. If you like Andy Samberg's/Lonely Island's humor, you'll like this one. I thought Samberg and Milioti had great chemistry. Especially in that scene where they do the choreographed bit in the bar.

THE WHISTLERS
    if you are a fan of good, old-fashioned Noir, then The Whistlers may be up your alley. It delivers a wonderfully exotic and esoteric update on the familiar tropes of the genre. To wit, there is the rube of a protagonist, a sexy femme fatale, ruthless gangsters, and crooked cops. In this case the action takes place on the Canary Islands and in Romania and revolves around a large sum of cash and the mysterious language of Silbo-Gomera and unfolds in a moderately intricate non-linear fashion.
    In Spanish, Romanian, English, and El Silbo, so it is judiciously subtitled.

“The Mountain Life” on Hulu (may also be available on Prime).

This one could appeal to many here. Great photography and scenery. The main story is about two women, mother and daughter, who do a ski traverse of the Coastal Mountains from Squamish BC to Skagway AK.

The mother is 60 years old, but she is a tough old bird. The movie only shows bits and pieces of their trek, but it gets pretty intense at times. Many days spent at -20F at the start of the trip in February.

Interspersed are are stories of other people’s lives in the mountains. One involves an avalanche rescue.

Below Deck. Horrible reality show but for some reason I can't stop watching, especially on hot lazy afternoons. How hadn't I heard of it before getting Hulu?

Also, we've been putting up with the ads since we got Hulu. Not sure how much longer I can hold out.

Downhill Racer with Redford and Stallone is on

underrated and notable for being one of the first films with a relatively unlikable anti hero as protagonist

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

GREENER GRASS
    Written, directed, and starring a coupla UCB alums, this film is a strange mix of absurdist satire and scathing social,commentary, specifically skewering the rich, gated community set.
    Borrowing heavily from John Waters and David Lynch, but softer and not quite as depraved as either, this film has a strong first half, but loses a bit of steam at the 45-minute mark when it slips into a kind of alternate Disney vibe.
    Still, it is warped enough to keep you watching and certainly provides enough mental fodder for enlightened post-screening discussions.

Twin Peaks (the 1990 original) is on Hulu! I liked it when it came out, but didn't have the same appreciation for David Lynch's work that I do now. Show's aged really well IMO. Gonna enjoy getting back into this one.

Hulu - Streaming Recs

In & Of Itself.

https://youtu.be/_62BeXxd_jo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    In & Of Itself.

https://youtu.be/_62BeXxd_jo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1. Really good.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    In & Of Itself.
    Looks good! I'll check that one out. Thanks for the rec. Here's the link for the movie:
    https://www.hulu.com/movie/derek-del...f-e25fe10c7299

SAVE YOURSELVES!
    Hip and savvy sci-fi comedy skewering Brooklyn millenials, humankind's continued reliance on tech, self-help movements, and the vacuous inclinations of most people. Nods to Star Trek, Attack The Block, and pretty much every "fish-out-of-water" comedy you can think of.
    Lots of stuff happening in the dialogue, off camera, and in the background, so much so that it may warrant a second viewing.

RIYL
    Attack The Block; Get Duked; Misstress America

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Really enjoyed it