Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I would agree; The Endless was mildly intriguing but Synchronic ....... no. Just no.

I have yet to see their first film, Resolution, which ties into both The Endless and Synchronic
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

THE ART OF SELF DEFENSE
    This dark and often surreal comedy walks the line between deadpan brilliance and over-the-top outlandishness. On the surface, this is an absurdist jaunt into the life of a glorious sad sack who finds redemption in karate. The film is teeming with foreshadowing and, in a way, is pretty predictable, but it moves at such a wonderfully succinct pace that you kind of forget about the breadcrumbs that have been dropped until BAM! they smack you in the face and you say “Damn, I should have seen that coming!”
    On top of it all there’s plenty of good old ultra-violence sprinkled throughout, which offsets the droll satire nicely and helps create an atmosphere where you never really know what’s going to happen next.
    If you like your comedies swinging from the gallows, but in an irreverent and left-of-center manner then this is an entertaining and engaging effort.

RIYL
    The Lobster; Safety Not Guaranteed; After Hours; Withnail & I; Repo Man

SUPER DARK TIMES
    This is a warped coming-of-age psychological drama; it’s like a very twisted take on Stand By Me.

The Bear.
    Thought this was mentioned up-thread, but couldn't find it, so ....

Normally not a fan of the east coast family dust up shows, but WOW! This is special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Yep
    So. Fucking. Good.

There was a time in my life not that long ago where my wife and I were lucky enough to eat our way around the globe through as many Michelin-starred, Bib-Gourmonded, and everything up and coming just below that restaurants as we could. Our friends were these chefs, owners, maitre’ds and everyone in between. They were more interesting and fun than our normal friends. They ran harder than anyone we knew and made fucking art that we all got to enjoy.

Sure, we had our stints in the industry before professional life took over but their world was something else. And it was fascinating.

This show captures so much of that world and takes me back to those years.

From a personal perspective I love that it’s in Chicago. I love the soundtrack and I love Jeremy Allen White as the lead.
    I still call it The Jake.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    SPRING
    This is a nice, surprising little indie horror outing filmed in Italy and of a sub-genre I'm calling "strange romance.”
    Here’s the short version: Cali kid falls into a rut so he takes off to Italy and meets a hot chick. Things get weird from there.
    Teeming with cool effects, nice pacing, and a slow-burn creepy vibe which rolls underneath it all.

Loved it

Yeah, I posted about it on the Horror Films thread a few years back. May have mentioned it on the Amazon thread, as well (it seems to keep bouncing around streaming services).
    It just popped up in my “recommended for you” section on Hulu.
    Also, the other films by the writing/directing duo of Justin Benson/Aaron Moorhead have gotten some mentions around here (The Endless and
    Synchronic).
    Personally, I didn’t much care for either of those.
    Spring is their best film, IMHO.
    Huh. Will have to check that out! Personally I REALLY liked the Endless. I thought it was pretty fantastic for the super low budget it had. One of those rare films that's really stuck with me as I pondered on it for days after watching. Unlike all the disposable and completely forgettable ultra-high budget MCU and Disney stuff being churned out these days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Huh. Will have to check that out! Personally I REALLY liked the Endless. I thought it was pretty fantastic for the super low budget it had. One of those rare films that's really stuck with me as I pondered on it for days after watching. Unlike all the disposable and completely forgettable ultra-high budget MCU and Disney stuff being churned out these days.

I seem to be in the minority in regards to The Endless.
    I know a lot of folks who really liked it…

I seem to be in the minority in regards to The Endless.
    I know a lot of folks who really liked it…
    That's ok. Not everything has to be for everyone. Otherwise you end up with nothing than all the big budget garbage we keep seeing barfed up every other week that IS made for the masses. I appreciate your range of taste. At least you gave it a shot.

That's ok. Not everything has to be for everyone. Otherwise you end up with nothing than all the big budget garbage we keep seeing barfed up every other week that IS made for the masses. I appreciate your range of taste. At least you gave it a shot.

NON-FICTION
    <it is listed as “expiring”, so I think it leaves the service at the end of July>

Olivier Assayas’s French language film is kind of in the vein of The Big Chill, but with less drugs and instead of being a reunion of folks, it follows an interconnected group as they tackle the evolving role of writers and the changing landscape of writing (print vs blogs, books vs Kindle and audio). There’s some sex and relationship high jinks tossed in for good measure.
    In short, it’s a well-acted ensemble piece with an intellectual undertone buffered by some nice comedic elements.

If you are a writer, have been a writer, or are a voracious reader, then this film is totally in your wheelhouse.

20,000 DAYS ON EARTH
    Great, surreal docu about NicK Cave.
    Really gets inside his head and provides intense insight into his songwriting and overall aura.

http://nickcave.com/films/20000-days-on-earth/

PRINCE AVALANCHE
    David Gordon Green's fantastic little indie film, IMHO, is one of those rare instances where the remake is actually better than the original (it is based upon an Icelandic film, A Annan Veg aka Either Way).
    Starring Paul Rudd, Emile Hersch, and the eccentric Lance LeGault, the film reminded me of the early works of Jim Jarmusch, Hal Hartley, and Tom DiCillo (and perhaps a wee bit of vintage Kevin Smith and Richard Linklater, as well).
    The whole affair is quirky, well acted, and disarmingly hilarious.
    Oh yeah, it features a killer score by Explosions in the Sky, too.

MARTHA MACY MAY MARLENE
    Long before she was the Scarlet Witch, Elizabeth Olsen did some creepy and cool indie film work.
    This is an unnerving, slow-burn psychological thriller.

RIYL
    Sound of My Voice; Faults; The Invitatiom

THE FP
    Looking for something ridiculously stoopid ( as in stoopid fresh)?
    Look no further than this 2012 gem that mixes Mad Max apocalyptical sheen with Dance Dance Revolution mayhem.
    This is a campy, low-budget winner.

RIYL
    Turbo Kid; Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone; Warriors of the Wasteland

I DECLARE WAR
    This is a cool coming of age story which takes Capture The Flag to gloriously intense levels.

RIYL
    Lord of the Flies; Stand By Me; Super Dark Times; Son of Rambow

Watched Prey last night. Viewed it with the Comanche audio track. Very cool they offered that option, which I learned is the Director's "definitive" version. Even though a bunch of that is a dub, it was well done and I found preferable to an English track with Comanche interspersed in there which I always found cheesy in period movies when for example you'd have a some guy in historical times speaking English with a heavy [insert language here] accent or how every ancient Roman has a British accent for some reason. Haha.

Anyway, really fun watch overall. Worst part was the hokey CGI for the animals. I mean, I understand it's tough to film a grizzly bear tearing the crap out of someone IRL, but at least put the budget there to make it convincing. That said, even with the subpar animal cgi, seeing a neolithic looking Predator getting into hand to paw combat with a giant griz was actually pretty badass.

IMDB community gives it a 7.something out of 10. I'd agree with that assessment. Would've been better at the theater for sure, and could have benefited from a few other tweeks, but overall a really fun one. Even the wife gave it 2 thumbs up and she refuses to watch the rest of the Predator movies with me, so that's saying something. She likes period movies. I like sci-fi. Win win!

https://youtu.be/wZ7LytagKlc

You beat me to it!

Just read yesterday that they were offering a version in Comanche.
    Planning to watch it this w/e, so didn’t read your review too thoroughly, but your mention of weak CGI jibes with how I felt after watching the trailer.
    That and the fact that the whole Predator franchise is pretty weak with the exception of the original Arnie vehicle (the last Predator film was horrendous crap).
    I am not expecting much and am sure I will give the film some “exotic bias” as I’ve never seen a movie delivered entirely in a numic language before…

Q: You know what rhymes with Prey?

A: MEH

This was yet another pointless entry in a pointless franchise.
    While I applaud that they made a Comanche version, I was rather surprised that it wasn’t subtitled (unless you turned on Closed Captioning, which is annoying).

As MF stated, the FX are shoddy.
    Unlike him, I found this Predator incarnation to be horrible, sporting gangly rubber hands, a badly sculpted rubber body suit, and what looked like taped up sneakers for feet; the Predator from 1987 is more convincing.
    I am assuming that the reason they filmed in Alberta over CO (where the story takes place) was also to save $$$. So why didn’t they just tweak the story to be about a First Nations tribe from that area, such as Blackfoot or Cree?

As for the story? It’s your standard coming-of-age warrior tale which most of us have seen 100 times before.

The cast is great and the scenery is cool, but sadly neither of those elements are able to rise above the cheap CGI and routine story.

I think the powers that be were wise not to release this in the theaters.
    IMHO, it’s yet another desperate attempt by a streamer to create a franchise. Yet instead of spending the time coming up with a compelling story, they just opted for run-of-the-mill mediocrity aimed at the lowest common denominator audience [for the record, this comment is in no way intended as a diss towards you or the missus Montucky ]

Even the whole Comanche angle smacked of novelty and cultural appropriation (it was written and directed and largely produced by white dudes).

Also, why is it when a film franchise is struggling and should just be put to rest, filmmakers either send the story into the past (and always “the Wild West”) or into outer space?
    [refer to Back to the Future 3, Leprechaun in Space, Tremors 4, Hellraiser: Bloodline…]

Of course, as always, YMMV.
    And of course, perhaps I just need to lighten up…
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 08-07-2022 at 11:01 AM.

I would agree hat, in general, the Predator franchise is pretty weak, however I actually enjoyed the 2018 version (The Predator). Thomas Jane and Keagan-Michael Key were hilarious, and ....... Olivia Munn!
    The addition of some quality humor was critical, but I think it wouldn't be nearly as effective if its became a regular feature of the franchise.

I would agree hat, in general, the Predator franchise is pretty weak, however I actually enjoyed the 2018 version (The Predator). Thomas Jane and Keagan-Michael Key were hilarious, and ....... Olivia Munn!
    The addition of some quality humor was critical, but I think it wouldn't be nearly as effective if its became a regular feature of the franchise.

I was completely on the opposite side of the spectrum from you in regards to the 2018 flick…

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-thread/page25

Yeah, I know.
    I went in with very low expectations, so there's that ....

Yeah, I know.
    I went in with very low expectations, so there's that ....

And of course, perhaps I just need to lighten up…
    Lol. Yup. You may have noticed that in my review, I called it "fun" as opposed to "good." Sometimes it's ok to sorta check your brain at the door and just go with it sometimes. Prey won't be winning any Oscars or anything but I found it to at least be a pretty fun time, and sometimes that's good enough for me, depending on my mood. Not everything has to be the Godfather, ya know? But then again, I also get enjoyment out of schlocky B-movies at times too. Maybe what helps is when I go in with pretty low expectations to begin with. Haha. What I don't like is when Hollywood pukes out a movie with an obscene budget, a total CGI visual eye-candy kaleidoscope, hyped to hell, promising us the moon, and then it's end up being another paint by numbers snoozefest. Insert most MCU films as of late. Thus, I had fun with Prey. Worth the price of admission at least, ie free Hulu subscription I get with Verizon.

Lol. Yup. You may have noticed that in my review, I called it "fun" as opposed to "good." Sometimes it's ok to sorta check your brain at the door and just go with it sometimes. Prey won't be winning any Oscars or anything but I found it to at least be a pretty fun time, and sometimes that's good enough for me, depending on my mood. Not everything has to be the Godfather, ya know? But then again, I also get enjoyment out of schlocky B-movies at times too. Maybe what helps is when I go in with pretty low expectations to begin with. Haha. What I don't like is when Hollywood pukes out a movie with an obscene budget, a total CGI visual eye-candy kaleidoscope, hyped to hell, promising us the moon, and then it's end up being another paint by numbers snoozefest. Insert most MCU films as of late. Thus, I had fun with Prey. Worth the price of admission at least, ie free Hulu subscription I get with Verizon.

I dunno, I don't think it's too much to ask for a film to be both fun and good...

I was also being kind of facetious about me needing to lighten up.
    I have enjoyed a bevy of fun films over the years, many of which have largely been panned.

Some recentish examples:
    Shadow in the Cloud - I enjoyed the hell out of this film, which was generally panned by critics and audiences.
    xXx: The Return of Xander Cage - slagged by critics, who I feel missed the wink-wink, nudge-nudge humor and absurdity of it all.
    The Suicide Squad - Loved this reboot, but quite a few Mags around here felt otherwise.
    Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw - again, another action flick that I found fun and enjoyable (and better than most of the post-Tokyo Drift films), but was dumped on by critics and audiences.

At any rate, my long-winded point is that I do fancy fun films, but on the whole, I felt Prey took itself far too seriously.

Plus the Predator franchise has literally been presenting us with the same story over and over again, just transposed to different locales. They really need to tweak the plot.

I also idiotically succumbed to the pre-release hype, so my expectations were higher than they should have been.

And, sadly, unlike you who enjoyed it for "free," I extended my 30-day trial just to watch it, so I essentially paid $12.99, which it definitely wasn't worth, IMHO.

I have enjoyed a bevy of fun films over the years, many of which have largely been panned.
    Don't forget Titane!