Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    https://youtu.be/JfemIEDwVZI

In that video, I learned about Dan Trachtenberg's short film "Portal: No Escape"!!! Woah! Timely discovery since the kiddos and I are in the middle of playing Portal right now.

https://youtu.be/4drucg1A6Xk

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Don't forget Titane!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Dunno if I would call Titane fun…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

ALL MY FRIENDS HATE ME
    This is a wicked little British psychological thriller/uber dark comedy that unfolds like a mean spirited riff on The Big Chill, albeit with less sex and heavier drugs.
    On one level the film examines the awkwardness of reunions, yet it also focuses on the fallibility of memory.
    The paranoia and dread experienced by the main protagonist is palpable to the point of creating unease in the viewer and the ambiguous ending is not only jarringly abrupt, but deceptively brilliant.

RIYL
    Loaded; Backgammon; The Black Bear

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    ALL MY FRIENDS HATE ME
    This is a wicked little British psychological thriller/uber dark comedy that unfolds like a mean spirited riff on The Big Chill, albeit with less sex and heavier drugs.
    On one level the film examines the awkwardness of reunions, yet it also focuses on the fallibility of memory.
    The paranoia and dread experienced by the main protagonist is palpable to the point of creating unease in the viewer and the ambiguous ending is not only jarringly abrupt, but deceptively brilliant.

RIYL
    Loaded; Backgammon; The Black Bear

Loved it

SEXY BEAST
    This is a dark and sharp British crime/gangster/neon noir featuring some killer performances by Ben Kingsley and Ray Winstone.

RIYL
    The Long Good Friday; Gangster #1; Romeo is Bleeding; Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

loooooved Sexy Beast. Saw it shortly after seeing Gandhi, bit shocking.

Agreed. But then I am pretty much game for anything with Sir Ben in the cast. I found his performance very raw in Sexy Beast, and yes, quite the opposite of his portrayal of Gandhi.

DOGMAN
    What happens when a mild-mannered dog groomer gets pushed to the edge?
    Well, you’ll have to watch this slow-burning, quietly incendiary small town Italian crime joint to find out!
    Written and directed by Matteo Garrone, best known for Gomorrah.

RIYL
    Gomorrah; A Prophet; Piranhas

BORDER
    I don’t really know how to describe this quietly disarming Swedish dark fantasy. It’s hypnotically engaging, though, that’s for damn skippy.
    On the one hand it’s about feeling isolated in society on the other hand it’s about discovering your familial roots. Yet it’s much more than that, plus it’s got a decent weirdness factor.

RIYL
    Thale

UN VIE DE CHAT (aka A CAT IN PARIS)
    I can’t recommend this wonderful French animated film enough. For my money, the French have churned out some of the best and most uniquely entertaining animated films over the past 15 years.
    This film has art that resides somewhere between Picasso, Matisse, and underground comix legend Richard Sala.
    It was nominated for an Academy Award in 2010, but lost to Rango.
    I am partial to the original French version…

However, if you are one of those lazy fools who can’t be bothered with reading subtitles, Hulu’s got you covered with the dubbed version (I think the English voices are horrible, but ymmv)

THE PAINTED BIRD
    Not quite as succinct in its vision as the 1985 Soviet film Come and See, but this anti-war, historical slice of fiction is not only mesmerizing, but definitely isn’t for the faint of heart. Animal cruelty, rape, murder, bestiaity, and more are interwoven with beautifully stark cinematography and an engaging, albeit harrowing, take on the coming-of-age theme. Unfurling as a cross country odyssey, our young protagonist embarks on the kind of adventure that nightmares are made of.
    Challenging viewing to be sure, yet hard to look away from.
    The only mar on the production are the number of various high profile cameos from non Polish/Eastern European actors; I swear they dubbed Harvey Keitel’s part. Not sure what the impetus was for those casting choices, but I found that they took me out of the film. The kid who plays the lead, though, is fantastic.

RIYL
    The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey; The Virgin Spring; Come and See; Aguirre: The Wrath of God; The Thin Red Line; Dead Man

I liked Not Okay. But not everyone might. It's about a vapid unlikeable character (amongst other vapid unlikeable characters) playing the game of trying to Be Somebody in online media, both social media, and at the internet magazine, Depravity, where she works. Trouble is, she's really really vapid, and so she needs to invent a trip to a Paris writers conference, where, as luck would have it, there would turn out to be an actual terrorist attack, which she would then pretend to have been traumatized by. Her media star power rises. And it doesn't end well for her.

The parade of millennial douchebags occasionally makes for some good cringe comedy. And, even if the story isn't all that satisfying, there are some fun vignettes along the way.

I'm two episodes into Reboot. It's pretty good. Plus, boobs in like the first 5 minutes.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm two episodes into Reboot. It's pretty good. Plus, boobs in like the first 5 minutes.
    It's a grower

Has The Patient been mentioned yet? Super good psychological thriller with Steve carell. The episodes are frustratingly short but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Has The Patient been mentioned yet? Super good psychological thriller with Steve carell. The episodes are frustratingly short but worth it.
    Loving it

Reboot's good (watched first ep last night)! I'm too much of a Rachel Bloom (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hh1YhDfbA ) fan to miss it.

THE FORGIVEN
    This would make a good companion watch to Triangle of Sadness; entitled rich people behaving poorly is the running modus operandi.
    Written/directed by John Michael McDonagh, the oft overlooked brother of Martin, this is a biting social commentary about privilege and the remnants of colonial excess.
    Playing out like a snide noirish Shakespearean dramedy, it is anchored by some searing thespian turns from all involved and further buoyed by excellent pacing and a predictable, yet no less potent ending.

***Also streaming on Kanopy
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 01-04-2023 at 07:54 PM.

THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS
    This is a really cool doc about triplets who were separated at birth and then found each other when they were 19.
    The story starts out as a wonderful human interest piece and quickly morphs into something much deeper.
    Honestly, the less you know going in, the more potent and mindfuggingly good it will be.

***also streaming on Kanopy

***not including the trailer as it contains spoilers which could affect your viewing pleasure and ruin the bugged out twists…

Hulu - Streaming Recs

Thumbs Up on Boston Strangler. Film Noir done really well, with strong acting all around. Carrie Coon is always on point and Chris Cooper is perfect as the grizzled newspaper editor. Give it a shot
    crab in my shoe mouth

Idiocracy is now streaming on Hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Idiocracy is now streaming on Hulu.
    Wife and I just watched that one last weekend! I hadn't seen it in many years. Whereas before it was more hilarious, now it's more depressing than ever since it was a bit TOO prophetic. I mean, Mike Judge was always correct in the overall trajectory, but I don't think any of us were expecting so much of it to become reality quite so fast. From Crocs to advertising to self checkout. It's too much. Haha. HIGHLY recommended if you haven't seen it already. So quotable. The beginning scene is one of the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    From Crocs
    That's over the line

Second season of The Bear. I don't think it's as good and cohesive as the first season, but some definite high points.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Second season of The Bear. I don't think it's as good and cohesive as the first season, but some definite high points.
    Binged the first season fri & Sat, started second yesterday. Its really good, but a bit much in places.
    Also put me to sleep a few times.