Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Liftopia in trouble

https://snowbrains.com/liftopia-faci...lterra-aspen1/

I'm guessing that somebody will buy that service.

It is why the whole Mountain Collective thing went off line for a while right? Not surprise.

What is the ownership of MC as it relates to Liftopia as of now?

All of it is so opaque.

Can't they just go public, and issue a billion in stock? I mean someone at Liftopia needs to talk with the lawyers at HTZ.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I can't imagine this won't be back in some kind of form. Resorts wouldn't offer discounts through third parties if their sales & marketing didn't think it was useful for them to do that.

Is Gonzo there?
    . . .

Wasn't liftopia started by a mag?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Seems like was founded by two guys named Ron Schneiderman and Evan Reece. Are they Mags?
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...TSJ/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Can't they just go public, and issue a billion in stock? I mean someone at Liftopia needs to talk with the lawyers at HTZ.
    Maybe send a couple DM's to Dave Portnoy on twitter to find a few extra bag holders.

I wonder what happened. I mean, sure, business went to zero mid-March, but in a normal year biz would have been winding down quite a bit by then anyway. And I have to assume it was a lean operation, its software infra having been mostly developed years ago. Plus, this is the kind of business that makes a cut off of every (fully automated) sale; there's no reason for them to sell anything at a loss, and they're well past the point where they were sticking their neck out for an uncertain future revenue model. Maybe the Covid tripped up their cash flow in ways that they hadn't anticipated?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2C1B9ACE-A080-4529-9A61-849E443A98DF.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	823.5 KB 
ID:	331623

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Wasn't liftopia started by a mag?
    Yeah, can't remember Evan's username, but I remember buying a teleboard offa him from Gear Swap. Good guy, I had a beer with him when he was in town. It's a shame things crashed for them, definitely a casualty of the covfefe virus, although that was prolly the last straw after Alterra basically ate their lunch. I really do believe that without the Liftopia and the Mountain Collective, we wouldn't have Epic or Ikon today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Yeah, can't remember Evan's username, but I remember buying a teleboard offa him from Gear Swap. Good guy, I had a beer with him when he was in town. It's a shame things crashed for them, definitely a casualty of the covfefe virus, although that was prolly the last straw after Alterra basically ate their lunch. I really do believe that without the Liftopia and the Mountain Collective, we wouldn't have Epic or Ikon today.
    CS got it. Gonzo
    edit: ignore me. I think dunfree's right

Evmo was an affiliated mag, iirc

looks like they were living the good life my kind of people
    jet setting around, lavish dinners, new skis, nice cars, big expensive house
    just forgot to pay the bills
    https://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspe...in-collective/

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    looks like they were living the good life my kind of people
    jet setting around, lavish dinners, new skis, nice cars, big expensive house
    just forgot to pay the bills
    https://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspe...in-collective/
    i'm not sure how you got that from the article
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    i'm not sure how you got that from the article
    millions of dollars are missing?
    went somewhere?

Interesting to see how the Mountain Collective is separated from Liftopia and managed by Aspen. At least that gives me hope it will be around for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    millions of dollars are missing?
    went somewhere?
    missing? the millions their business model was due to produce through the end of the year could also be what's missing.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

The liftopia website seems to be running. You can order giftcards for those daring enough to trust they'll still be usable.

Well, maybe gonzo can dust off his router and do some manly woodworking instead.
    . . .

Gonzo came to visit me on his way to law school in San Francisco. He introduced me to Evan via email and I was invited to the opening party for Liftopia but didn't go. They've done very well. I guess someone did the programming and it almost seemed self-maintaining. I hope everything works out for them. These are trying times for most everybody everywhere.

Update shows some independents fucked over as well. I never knew they provided the online ticket platforms for so many resorts. Looks like a good opportunity for someone to step into.

https://skiing.substack.com/p/liftop...gic-plattekill
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Looks like the moneys already gone... “Capital partners“ are needed in order to fund the payback. https://coloradosun.com/2020/07/23/r...basin-alterra/

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Looks like the moneys already gone... “Capital partners“ are needed in order to fund the payback. https://coloradosun.com/2020/07/23/r...basin-alterra/
    "to pay back those partners and warned that revenue from season passes his company sold for the 2020-21 ski season was locked away by a third-party payment processor"Yea right ....Like in a "Lock box " to use a phrase from the past .
    "It's only steep if you're backseat"

Even better -

In his motion to dismiss the petition filed earlier this month, Reece argues that the ski areas were off in their claims by $86,000. If there is a dispute to any amount, the claims can be disqualified, the Liftopia attorneys argued.