Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ripmo AF

Ripmo AF

Looking at this bike, anyone have any time on it, thoughts, etc.?
    Thanks, Mike

I've got two months and about 250 miles on mine. Riding in Santa Cruz where we have it all: tech, flow, drops, etc. I'd call myself about an average rider, can do pretty much any trail but will avoid big features, won't blow by people on the descents but won't get left behind either. Previous bike was a Giant Reign, I demoed the Stumpjumper 29er, SC Hightower and yeti sb150 also.

The bike is a pretty good climber for what it is, I would say its slightly worse than the Hightower, better than the stumpy and not a fair comparison to the carbon sb150. I never feel like it holds me back. Most of my climbs are long fire road climbs but I have done some single track. It is a little unwieldy on tight singletrack uphill switchbacks. Climbing body position is good and the suspension doesn't bob. Eagle drivetrain is nice.

The bike is awesome on the descents, I prefer it to all the bikes I demoed. It just eats up terrain and is very stable. Suspension is responsive but I wouldn't call it "poppy". It can be equipped with a coil shock, I do want to try that someday.

Components: Eagle is awesome. Stock saddle sucks. Dropper is creaky. DVO suspension is amazing plush and tunable, I much prefer it to the rockshox and fox stuff I have owned in the past. People hate on the SRAM brakes but I like them once I replaced the pads with metal ones. Wheels are nothing special but nice and wide. Stock tires work for my area.

I've been on a V1 for a couple months and would upgrade davjr's opinion of the technical climbing. Here in northern NM it's ALL technical climbing. I chose a 170mm Fox38 and even with that, I find it to be an above average tech climber. Far above what I would expect for a long travel 29er. The front end does wander if you sit back (again, remember I chose a 170mm fork) but it has an amazing ability to change lines under extreme duress. A quick sideways pop and hard peddle stroke have gotten me out of trouble often. I'd read how nimble it is and it doesn't disappoint in that area at all.
    I'd also call it very poppy but then, I'm coming off a F&R coiled Nomad enduro monster so that view might be a bit skewd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Riding in Santa Cruz where we have it all: tech.
    I'm curious as to where the tech is in SC?

My friend has one and loves the thing. I've only heard good things from everyone. Components are what they are on all bikes. Some good and some not so great, but the geo is pretty solid on the ripmo.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I'm curious as to where the tech is in SC?
    Short answer: Not on trails you'll find on the internet.
    Long answer: There's definitely technical sections at Demo Forest, Skeggs point (not SC but close enough), even a few sections at Wilder State park (barely). I've only been here for a year or so and have spent my entire life previously on the east coast and am aware its nothing like that (try doing Downhill at Whiteface mountain, I walked about half of the blue from the top of the gondola...) but there are definitely long enough sections to get a feel for how the bike responds. And then of course all the hidden stuff is gnarly.
    I also demoed a Ripmo up in Tahoe before I bought mine and it handled Big Chief and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride great.

I had the V1 ripmo - wrecked it. Filed insurance, and got the V2. So basically a carbon AF. the V1 ripmo was a bit more sprightly and a better climber. Though, it did feel like you could reach it's speed limit going downhill. Now i'm on the V2 with a 170 Lyrik Ultimate. I friggin love it. I will say it feels like more bike climbing, the head angle is more slack. But, if you're buying a bike like the ripmo you're gonna really enjoy and reap the benefits of your effort. It Definitely climbs much better than similar bikes - kona process, Rocky Mtn something or other. The v2/af has no speed limit. I love the bike. From jumps to chunk to eye blurring high speed flow its a hoot. Super intuitive ride feel. One of the best do it all bikes. Covers the bases from light trail rides (still nimble enough and pedals well) to enduro/bike park. You will not regret it.

Filed insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Short answer: Not on trails you'll find on the internet.
    Long answer: There's definitely technical sections at Demo Forest, Skeggs point (not SC but close enough), even a few sections at Wilder State park (barely). I've only been here for a year or so and have spent my entire life previously on the east coast and am aware its nothing like that (try doing Downhill at Whiteface mountain, I walked about half of the blue from the top of the gondola...) but there are definitely long enough sections to get a feel for how the bike responds. And then of course all the hidden stuff is gnarly.
    I also demoed a Ripmo up in Tahoe before I bought mine and it handled Big Chief and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride great.
    Demo was closed from the flooding last time I was there. Wilder, Pogonip, and Campus is where I've ridden. No tech to speak of, but plenty of steeps and jumps. Great place to ride for sure, but I am looking for some tech to mix it up. I think that's probably typical of an east coaster that rides out there.

Head up to Pacifica ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Also some decent chunk up in Napa and Calistoga if that isn’t too far of a drive.
    It’s more XC style chunk but some of it can be a challenge downhill, at least on an undergunned bike.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by J_Berg View Post
    I had the V1 ripmo - wrecked it. Filed insurance, and got the V2. So basically a carbon AF. the V1 ripmo was a bit more sprightly and a better climber. Though, it did feel like you could reach it's speed limit going downhill. Now i'm on the V2 with a 170 Lyrik Ultimate. I friggin love it. I will say it feels like more bike climbing, the head angle is more slack. But, if you're buying a bike like the ripmo you're gonna really enjoy and reap the benefits of your effort. It Definitely climbs much better than similar bikes - kona process, Rocky Mtn something or other. The v2/af has no speed limit. I love the bike. From jumps to chunk to eye blurring high speed flow its a hoot. Super intuitive ride feel. One of the best do it all bikes. Covers the bases from light trail rides (still nimble enough and pedals well) to enduro/bike park. You will not regret it.
    Quality beta, thanks for the post! Really been seriously looking at this bike as well. Won’t be able to afford one for quite some time but definitely in the middle stages of new bike research and saving.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Quality beta, thanks for the post! Really been seriously looking at this bike as well. Won’t be able to afford one for quite some time but definitely in the middle stages of new bike research and saving.
    If you're looking at the Ripmo V2, it's also worth checking out the Guerrilla Gravity Smash. It's a little heavier, but just as capable and it absolutely rips. You'll be able to buy it sooner too, as it's a fair bit cheaper than the Ibis.

Another option is the new Evil Offering. Basically identical reviews and comments as the Ripmo.
    And bikes might actually be available in 2020.

I have the Ripmo AF. It is amazing, on all fronts. The bike obviously excels when romping downhill, however she climbs pretty decently for its weight.

Price-wise, impossible to beat.

For my area of SoCal, the tire choice is suspect...but, that is an easy fix.

Have any of you Ripmo AF riders spent time on a Smuggler or a Norco Fluid FS1? The Ripmo intrigues me but I’m concerned that it’ll be too much bike for a hack like me who’s more focused on progressing skills instead of bombing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Am I the only one who sees the thread title and always reads it as "Ripmo as fuck"?

I am?

Ok, I'll see myself out.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Am I the only one who sees the thread title and always reads it as "Ripmo as fuck"?

I am?

Ok, I'll see myself out.
    This.

Me too!

^^^ x4

Mind over matter x5

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Pretty sure that’s what the marketing team wanted you to think......

Got a buddy who would love to buy the Ripmo AF but OOS until fall/winter kills it. Guess that's what happens when the "cool bike of the year" combines with the Asian supply chain shut down + COVID demand spikes for all things outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Got a buddy who would love to buy the Ripmo AF but OOS until fall/winter kills it. Guess that's what happens when the "cool bike of the year" combines with the Asian supply chain shut down + COVID demand spikes for all things outdoors.
    Yep. I was planning to get one sometime later this summer, caved in early April and pretty sure I got the last available one in my area... It also looks like they removed the NX option from the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Pretty similar for all hot bikes right now. I was after a RipMo V2 but looking like December. And that is with no demo possibility.....

Hoping to get on an Evil Following demo new version later this month then get one as they come back in stock.

Is this the Sprocket Rocket version of Hestra?

Q: Looks like a great bike but is it Ripmo?
    A: Ripmo as fuck