Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ripmo AF

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Pretty similar for all hot bikes right now. I was after a RipMo V2 but looking like December. And that is with no demo possibility.....

Hoping to get on an Evil Following demo new version later this month then get one as they come back in stock.
    If you're looking for something closer to a Ripmo, I think you want the Offering.
    Offering reviewers are using the same words as the Ripmo and it's actually available now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    If you're looking for something closer to a Ripmo, I think you want the Offering.
    Offering reviewers are using the same words as the Ripmo and it's actually available now.
    Yeah. I’m kind of on the fence between Ripley and RipMo. Really very very similar bikes. You really don’t lose much going to the RipMo. Pedals very similar and only about 1lb difference.

Not sure how that plays out following vs offering. And the new following is brand new. Guess a new offering is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Yeah. I’m kind of on the fence between Ripley and RipMo. Really very very similar bikes. You really don’t lose much going to the RipMo. Pedals very similar and only about 1lb difference.

Not sure how that plays out following vs offering. And the new following is brand new. Guess a new offering is in the works.
    I think they did the Offering update first.
    Just like the Ripmo/Ripley, the Offering/Following seems to be, "Why not" The Ripmo gives all the acceleration of the Ripley with more DH chops. Seems to be the same with the Offering/Following.
    Both bikes seem to make their smaller brothers sort of, "Why bother?"

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I think they did the Offering update first.
    Just like the Ripmo/Ripley, the Offering/Following seems to be, "Why not" The Ripmo gives all the acceleration of the Ripley with more DH chops. Seems to be the same with the Offering/Following.
    Both bikes seem to make their smaller brothers sort of, "Why bother?"
    Good to know. I can probably demo both evils.

I know that jenson just got a shipment of ripmos, so bikes earmarked for sept are shipping now.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    I know that jenson just got a shipment of ripmos, so bikes earmarked for sept are shipping now.
    Do you know if new orders will ship soon?

I replaced my GX HD3 with the SLX Ripmo AF today.
    Pat at Aspen Bikes has 9 with varied builds.

Bump, as I'm daydreaming... Considering (but only half seriously) a Ripmo AF Deore build at $3200, and swap all the Deore bits for a mix of SLX/XT via eBay.

Stock Ibis hubs OK?
    $100 to swap for coil rear shock is interesting... As is $800 up charge for Ibis carbon rims, with same house hubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have the ibis 742 wheel set and it has been so bomber. It does have a dt350 rear hub. I think I paid around $650 when they were on close out.

Stock ibis hubs on their alu rims. Been beating them all spring and summer, bearings still spinning nicely and no slop. Few dents in the rims, but holding tubeless with no issues, so no worries there.
    I’d roll with the Deore until it’s dead, what’s the issue besides it’s a little heavier than slx/xt?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I like the crispness of the higher Shimano shifters - usually go with XT for a shifter, SLX brakes, rear derailleur, and cranks - unless a deal shows up on XT for any of that. I haven't ridden any of the Shimano 12-speed though, so all this is based on earlier Shimano experience.

The additional $800 Ibis wants to go from Deore to SLX doesn't look worthwhile, as all the SLX bits could be purchased for less.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Ibis used to rebrand Novatec hubs on their lower end wheels. I don’t usually break stuff but went through 2 of those POS hubs.

The SLX package does come with Bikeyoke Revive over the low end KS post the Deore package comes with. That's probably worth $200-250 right there and is an upgrade I'd want to do regardless.

I've been looking at the Ripmo AF for a while as a possible replacement for my old Delirium. Not sure I'd ride it enough to get my money's worth out of it. It would have to pedal well enough I wouldn't hate climbing on it.

I've got Ibis hubs on my Mojo3. They're ok. But like the Stans hubs the pawls on the hub aren't very strong and can fail. More likely to happen if you ride somewhere like Moab/GJ a lot where you're powering up short steep sections. I can't imagine wanting to do that on a Ripmo so maybe they'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The SLX package does come with Bikeyoke Revive over the low end KS post the Deore package comes with. That's probably worth $200-250 right there and is an upgrade I'd want to do regardless.
    I missed that difference. That, plus getting the microspline driver with the SLX kit, pushes me more towards just finding a SLX package.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I missed that difference. That, plus getting the microspline driver with the SLX kit, pushes me more towards just finding a SLX package.
    The new Shimano SLX is stupid good. Not just for the money but good, period. Well worth the upgrade.

What’s the right rear shock buy with this frame?

The topaz
    The jade coil for $100 more - (does this have a cheater switch?)
    The X2 for $300 more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I love the topaz on mine, but I would really like to at least try the Jade. The topaz could use a little more small bump sensitivity. The DVO stuff is amazing in my experience so far. Incredible plush, easily tunable, and very easy to work on at home.

The bike yoke posts are really nice.

Ibis wheels are fine. The S stands for Stans rims, and they redesigned the hubs a few years ago. Not sure if they're still manufactured by JoyTech/Novatec, but they're 4-pawl, leaf springs, with the same bearings as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I love the topaz on mine, but I would really like to at least try the Jade. The topaz could use a little more small bump sensitivity. The DVO stuff is amazing in my experience so far. Incredible plush, easily tunable, and very easy to work on at home.
    I will second this.

My Slx came with the Jade coil and Spank wheels.

It’s a little heavy, but nothing’s broke in two months of riding park.

I got the NX build back in the spring. It's been great and held up well to some hard riding in WA and CA. It's damn heavy but the pedaling position is comfy so not a big concern for me. The ibis wheels have been solid, one minor ding in the rim from a big square edge hit but it keeps rolling straight. The Topaz has felt good. I miss the knobs and tuning of my previous cane creek. Haven't messed with volume spacers. The Diamond fork, which may not be on the current builds, has been just okay. It's taken a lot of tuning to get it to feel right and I'm running it way different than recommenced based on my weight. Also my build came with the bikeyoke post for some reason and I can confirm that it is awesome.

The ibis hubs on their first round of wheels 6 or 7 years ago were pretty bad. I went through a few. The newer versions (eventual warranty replacements for v1) have been flawless. 190lbs and tend towards lower cadences vs spin to win.

What kind of weights are you getting for an average build?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    What kind of weights are you getting for an average build?
    I think my buddy's NX large with pedals is about 35 lbs. He was all stressed before he got it how heavy it'd be, haven't heard him complain since he got it. Especially after I pointed out that my bike is only like 1 lb lighter and costs 3x as much.

Yea about 35lbs. But considering the value and performance I'm fine with it. The only time I think about it is when I lift it on the rack. Forgot to mention the 175 cranks, too long for the low bb. Lots of pedal strikes in rocky pedaly sections.