Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chile?????????????

Where's Casey?

What's going on down there?

Virus got stuff too screwed to try for late July visit?

Was thinking the same thing. The VN websites still lists as closed, opening TBA. I think Portillo has a proposed opening date.

July 18 for Portillo, they hope.
    Looks like it might snow.

Covid is bad in South America. They were late to see the outbreak and now it’s at the stage North America was at back in early March. Can’t see why u would want to go there anytime soon.

With New Zealand out of the picture, I'm hoping for Portillo in late August / early September. Glad to hear it's still possible, maybe? We'll have to see how they do with the covid, however.

Given that Portillo is basically a landlocked cruise ship (for both guests and staff), a large portion of their clientele come from Brazil, and the explosion of cases in the country, July 18 seems quite optimistic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coronavirus-data-explorer.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	877.0 KB 
ID:	331372

Name:	coronavirus-data-explorer (1).jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	331373

But here's some stoke, because Portillo is rad.

Name:	310172_2966_XXL.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	331374
    Last edited by gnarbro365; 06-12-2020 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Negative must be balanced with stoke. This is the way.

sounds like a bunch of ski areas won't be opening this year in south america.

Argentina is aboout to declare bankruptcy and it doesn't sound like you will be welcomed with open arms if you do decide to travel down there.
    Last edited by brutah; 06-12-2020 at 12:51 PM.

How is resort skiing responsible? It was one of the prime vectors for early Covid spread. Little has changed. There's no reason to believe it's any different now. And many many more people are infected, making the chances worse. US resorts were making their shutdown decisions when new cases were a few hundred per day.

Troll thread?
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

If i go, it would be to snowbike. So little deferent scene than lift served.

I'm just frustrated. Fucked up knee was just ready to ride, when the virus ruined the end of NA, been off the snow for too damned long.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post

I'm just frustrated. Fucked up knee was just ready to ride, when the virus ruined the end of NA, been off the snow for too damned long.
    Carry on then, have fun!

I wished I made the last weekend here. Would have felt guilty at the time, but given what's happened since, my conscience would be clean.

New Zealand story could be pretty good if one could WFH for two weeks of quarantine (if they allow that), and then ski with no risk of catching the covids or spreading it. Extra expenditure for quarantine time could break the bank on a marginal trip - but yolo.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    New Zealand story could be pretty good if one could WFH for two weeks of quarantine (if they allow that), and then ski with no risk of catching the covids or spreading it. Extra expenditure for quarantine time could break the bank on a marginal trip - but yolo.
    Pretty sure they won't let you in regardless. They aren't taking the chance.

I was in Columbia up until mar 8- no cases as of that day. Few days later they started getting positives. Government made bold choices- Airport shut down, all air travel seized without warning.I got lucky getting home. Not the time to travel to Chile/ Argentina and end up Being stuck there for 6-8months....those countries you can’t lock people down- situation is going to bad for awhile down there. Not worth the risk.

Yes I don't think Chile is allowing visitors at the moment and I doubt they will any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post

this guy made some good snow bike videos in Cordova last winter. the entire traverse is pretty wild more so having been here on skis.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    this guy made some good snow bike videos in Cordova last winter. the entire traverse is pretty wild more so having been here on skis.

Bikes would climb like beasts at that altitude, sure beat skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Carry on then, have fun!

I wished I made the last weekend here. Would have felt guilty at the time, but given what's happened since, my conscience would be clean.

Sure i'll puss out and not risk getting stuck there, but would be nice if it could be done.

Last time that I checked, no foreign visitors were being allowed into Chile for 90 days starting on March 18. No word on an extension of that date so far. Argentina is not allowing foreign visitors until September 1. No air travel is allowed within Argentina right now either.

Covid its getting real here in chile, but we hope to manage the problem to be able to ski late july...

I think september will be the best month to come here...

always love to throw some casey e love this time of year..

Casey E: delivering the goods to mags for years. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

FWIW Perisher in Australia opens June 24th. They are limiting skiers, limiting access to buildings, not selling day tickets at the resort, only online and two day minimum. Only people living in the same household can ride together. Double & Triple chairs can only have one rider unless same household and quad chairs can have two unrelated people riding together. So uphill capacity would be reduced by 50+ %.

Pray for a vaccine, this would be a disaster if they have to do similar things in North America. Can't imagine many people would plan a vacation to fight impossible lift lines, limited services and maybe getting shut out when a resort stops access when it hits whatever their reduced daily capacity is. Then you have to worry about the resort themselves being viable with far fewer skiers, restaurant and lodging revenue declines and they incur extra costs due to cleaning and just adding people to insure social distancing.

It hasnt stopped snowing all week, this were the conditions last weekend (movement in the different regions of chile is highly restricted so its only possible to go touring in your "backyard")

Name:	IMG_5082.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	331935

Name:	IMG_5075.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	331936

Name:	IMG_5048.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	331937

Great

lol

This will probably be the year chile gets snow...