But mine goes to 52

https://www.tetongravity.com/video/g...tooth-cassette

Embarrassed to go down to a 28 tooth chainring!?

Need to impress your friends by serving dinner on your cassette?

Wanna look like you can track stand like a boss but you’re just pushing your granny gear!?

I’ve got the PRODUCT for you!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

We ranted about that in the rant thread. Well, I ranted cause I'm opinionated as fuck.
    Makes me want to design a 29er rim with extruded teeth right outside of the spokes. With a bit of drivetrain re-invention (just a bit) you could basically turn that into the equivalent of a 500-teeth cog, give or take a few 100. Couple it with a 300-teeth sprocket and you rule world. Yes, the sprocket would rake the ground and probably cut you groin up pretty bad but who gives a shit? The bragging rights would be ALL TIME.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    We ranted about that in the rant thread. Well, I ranted cause I'm opinionated as fuck.
    Makes me want to design a 29er rim with extruded teeth right outside of the spokes. With a bit of drivetrain re-invention (just a bit) you could basically turn that into the equivalent of a 500-teeth cog, give or take a few 100. Couple it with a 300-teeth sprocket and you rule world. Yes, the sprocket would rake the ground and probably cut you groin up pretty bad but who gives a shit? The bragging rights would be ALL TIME.
    LOL

Coming next year: 54!!!!

It's a coolifier product. it's actually worse than the current alternative (get a 2x if you need a gear ratio that large), but SRAM and Shimano are selling it on hip and hype. A 30 (or 28) /46 is a pretty damn low gear...

If it is steep enough that I need my 32/46 on my 29er, I'm usually working to keep my front end down to not wheelie out. If it gets any steeper, I don't think extra gears will help and I'll just hike a bike.

I also have a 52:

Name:  Record.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  61.4 KB
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

If they haven’t fixed the reality that SRAM shifts like shit compared to the new Shimano, it’s a swing and a miss.
    42/52 jump?
    Fuck that.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Why can't we go smaller than 10 cog so we can get range that way? Going to a 9 or 8 as high gear lets you shrink both the chainring and the low cog. All that is lighter.

28+8-42 is about the same ratios and range as 34+10-52
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I doubt the 2 extra teeth is noticeable. It's a pretty small percentage difference. As long as they keep making 10-50, and I don't need to get a new derailleur when it's time to replace my cassette, I don't really care. And if I got a new bike that came with 10-52, whatever. Like I said, minor difference.

The 10 tooth jump is similar in ratio to the 37-46 jump on the Shimano 11-46 cassette. I ran that Shimano cassette and it didn't really bother me.

My GX Eagle derailleur has developed a bunch of play in the b-bolt, which has reduced shifting performance. This seems to be a common issue. If the new derailleur improves durability, that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    If it is steep enough that I need my 32/46 on my 29er, I'm usually working to keep my front end down to not wheelie out. If it gets any steeper, I don't think extra gears will help and I'll just hike a bike.
    Depends where you live. Here in the mountains of northern NM (we have BOTH types of terrain; steep and steeper), where most big rides start with an hour of climbing, I'm hurting badly on my 30/51 (I've got a 32T RF Cinch CR for sale). Slow riding skills are mandatory here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Why can't we go smaller than 10 cog so we can get range that way? Going to a 9 or 8 as high gear lets you shrink both the chainring and the low cog. All that is lighter.

28+8-42 is about the same ratios and range as 34+10-52
    e13 makes a 9-46, pretty useful.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    If they haven’t fixed the reality that SRAM shifts like shit compared to the new Shimano, it’s a swing and a miss.
    42/52 jump?
    Fuck that.
    This. Shifting through load is enough for me to spend and extra $80 to convert my rear hub on top of the pile I am already gonna spend to go from a SRAM 11spd to Shimano 12spd.

Until SRAM gets that figured out.....