Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vinyl seats in current vehicles

Am I gonna regret it if I get a truck with vinyl seats? It'll have air conditioning, so...?

I'm finally getting around to shopping again for a replacement camper hauler, which will also get used for mountain bike hauling, skiing, etc. Looking at a work truck spec F350 with vinyl floor, vinyl seats - which should be great for dealing with snow, dirt, water, dogs,....
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Maybe it's not slick shit of yore? But if it is, fuck that. Peeling yourself off the seat because you sweated through your shirt has never been cool.

Should probably add that I live in high desert, so low humidity here.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

350 is a hoss. You sure you need that much truck?

Needs to hold our truck camper, so needs to be a 3/4 or 1 ton. There's very little difference between the F250 and F350.

Current truck is a 20-year old GMC Sierra 2500. Looking at a 2015 F350, gas motor.

it will be fine, just get the cheap seat covers to keep your ass from melting into the seat

Almost every Mercedes Benz comes with vinyl interior standard. You think it’s leather but it’s MB Tex. Better than leather imo.

Yup, that commercial vehicle vinyl doesn’t breathe for shit.
    May be tough to find if you’re looking at a bench seat but something like this Is NYC cab driver approved

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Looking at a 2015 F350, gas motor.
    Oh for some reason I thought you were specing out a new truck, if this one has plastic seats but it otherwise sweet I wouldn't let the seats be a dealbreaker. Get some sort of seat cover like a sheepskin or those bead things cabbies use and call it good.

edit: ^^ TBS just posted the bead thing i was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Almost every Mercedes Benz comes with vinyl interior standard. You think it’s leather but it’s MB Tex. Better than leather imo.
    True.
    But it’s perforated
    And has a fancy name.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    True.
    But it’s perforated
    And has a fancy name.
    Like BMW’s leatherette
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Yup. Just bought a GX. Pleather seats in it, too. Probably depends on the grade and vents may be key.

Vinyl floors in trucks are great.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Like BMW’s leatherette
    I threw that word around quite a bit when I sold those things for five years.

What year?

If the seats are like semi trucks have, it may not be too bad. Never give them a thought, so guess they're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Like BMW’s leatherette
    I got a thing for Warm Leatherette.

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I threw that word around quite a bit when I sold those things for five years.
    Ha! It always made me chuckle a bit. We've had a bunch of Bimmers through the years but never had one with the leatherette, although in hindsight it may have been more advisable: dogs n kids an all are hell on that thin Dakota leather.

Now Volvo leather? Best in the biz, Been very very pleased with Audi's as well; both very thick and comfortable. (curiously a quick google shows that Audi only come in leather on seating surfaces.
    I still call it The Jake.

My 18 4Runner has the leather like vinyl...was hesitant but I didn’t have an option. It’s been just fine here in Denver as far as the heat goes and they aren’t perforated.

The Ford vinyl looks pretty much at the commercial end of seat covering. But, it's not a daily driver, it's going to be used roughly, cleaning involves a broom or hose...

Our current old truck has vinyl floor, no carpet or mats. It's always kind of dirty, but in a way, it's perfect.

It’ll prolly clean up the mace and pepper spray pretty good. Occasional blood splatters too. If it were me though I’d throw some real cow over the plastic.

Also depends on the color- black vinyl would be a tougher sell than a gray or tan even just parking in the sun (windshield shade may help some) so you are going to want some sort of covers even more so if the used truck has black vinyl seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Freeskier View Post
    My 18 4Runner has the leather like vinyl...was hesitant but I didn’t have an option. It’s been just fine here in Denver as far as the heat goes and they aren’t perforated.
    The softex fabric that the Trail/TRD Off Road trim 4Runners get is fucking awesome. Super durable, easy to clean and not too bad in terms of getting stuck to it. My only gripe is that they don't offer it in any color except black, and I loathe black interiors.

FWIW worked for a major, major rojck/quarry/construction outfit for 20 yrs. that co bought +-500 trucks a year (annual top line 10 billion+). Abused the hell out of them, just the nature of the business.

It never ceased to amaze me how much abuse a F150 could take, and everything that got done with them. Qualifty product. I bet at least 90% of what that co bought were 150s.
    "Can't you see..."

Google search shows some forum discussions on the Ford vinyl in their trucks, and people seem happy enough with it. I guess I won't pass on a truck just based on the seat material.

The only vehicle I've owned with vinyl seats was a 1980 VW, which also lacked air conditioning. That sucked. I'm going to hope that 40 years of progress, air conditioning, and window tint, will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Google search shows some forum discussions on the Ford vinyl in their trucks, and people seem happy enough with it. I guess I won't pass on a truck just based on the seat material.

The only vehicle I've owned with vinyl seats was a 1980 VW, which also lacked air conditioning. That sucked. I'm going to hope that 40 years of progress, air conditioning, and window tint, will do it.
    Can always do a cover as stated, or if it is too bad search parts pick and pull or junk yards for replacement seats.

I've got an F250 XL with the 6.7 and the vinyl. Everything about it has been comfortable, hassle free and durable for 80K. Quality product.