Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    FWIW, when I started running Vittoria CC didn't have a XC version. To me the Air Liner made the most sense. Nobody used them at the time, but I liked the concept, and liked them the most (after upgrading from Huck Norris).

One weird side effect is the Air Liner takes up so much volume, that pressure changes drastically with 1 pump of the track pump, or a 2 second burp of the valve. Keep that in mind when adjusting pressure. Also, any slow leaks will change pressures very quickly because of this.

Serious question: is this CC etc stuff mostly for bigger folks? Or are you using it on bikes that see mostly park use?

I (140# on a 120mm Ripley) run normal tires on 35mm rims at 18-20 psi and never feel a rim strike unless I just slam into a 6" high square edged rock without even lightening up. I did crack a carbon wheel a couple of years ago doing just that but had too little pressure. (Fixed it with epoxy and rode it for another year.)

Is using these things and just slamming into everything what it takes to go truly fast? The other day I rode Mr Toads (the burly descent near Tahoe) and I guess I could have hit stuff harder without concern for my wheels, but I always just thought I needed to be smoother and corner better to go faster. I did it in the top 5% on Strava without really feeling like I was taking chances. Do the really fast downhill guys just plow through everything like I can on my moto?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Tubeless is a pain in the arse.
    This just complicates things further.
    Why don't they just make tubes with this stuff injected in some clever way to put a cushcore inside?
    That would solve the pinch flat issue and get rid of the holy hell mess of sealant, tape, snott, etc.

Um no thanks.

What we have performs a lot better than what you propose. Set it up and forget it. Just ride hard and fast and mostly forget about flats. inner tubes are ancient tech.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Serious question: is this CC etc stuff mostly for bigger folks? Or are you using it on bikes that see mostly park use?

I (140# on a 120mm Ripley) run normal tires on 35mm rims at 18-20 psi and never feel a rim strike unless I just slam into a 6" high square edged rock without even lightening up. I did crack a carbon wheel a couple of years ago doing just that but had too little pressure. (Fixed it with epoxy and rode it for another year.)

Is using these things and just slamming into everything what it takes to go truly fast? The other day I rode Mr Toads (the burly descent near Tahoe) and I guess I could have hit stuff harder without concern for my wheels, but I always just thought I needed to be smoother and corner better to go faster. I did it in the top 5% on Strava without really feeling like I was taking chances. Do the really fast downhill guys just plow through everything like I can on my moto?
    I think its terrain and speed specific. I weigh 150lbs and run it front and back on my trail bike (SB6). After pinch flatting two 2 Double Down tires in a week i had enough and bought cushcore. Havent looked back.
    Fast guys are much more likely to destroy tires/rims if they get off line. Its much easier to be going fast on trails that are pretty much downhill race tracks. Trails where 160mm f/r isn't overkill. Thats the kind of terrain where Cushcore comes into its own.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Um no thanks.

What we have performs a lot better than what you propose. Set it up and forget it. Just ride hard and fast and mostly forget about flats. inner tubes are ancient tech.
    This.

I’ve got a alu wheel set with CC and EXO+ tires for smashy times. Currently running that back wheel with my non CC carbon front. Pretty optimal for gnarly trail riding.
    I’ve never had much of a problem with rim strikes, but I really like the grip and confidence on off camber roots/rocks and the feeling of support when squaring off turns.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Tubeless is a pain in the arse.
    This just complicates things further.
    Why don't they just make tubes with this stuff injected in some clever way to put a cushcore inside?
    That would solve the pinch flat issue and get rid of the holy hell mess of sealant, tape, snott, etc.
    Tannus Armor is sort of that.

While there is a use for it, it's definitely not as good as a normal tubeless setup, with or without CC.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Answer: It depends. Every single TGR poster is just a notch below World Cup Pro. And every poster’s home trails are about the gnarliest shit this side of Val di Sole. And yet people seem inconsistent in their rim, tire, insert, sealant, tube needs.
    Answer: My wife swears by CC. She destroys tires & rims. She also says she can feel the dampening affect on fast chatter, and can feel the difference in sidewall support.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I am on the lighter side of the Peter Pan-Clydesdale spectrum, and yet I use CushCore. Really the only reason I do is because I broke a carbon rim, and I tell myself I'm less likely to break the other one now. Inserts are cheaper than another set of rims, and now I can tell people I notice a ride difference.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

I've managed to get three flats this year already (thanks, 2020), so I decided to pull the trigger on a Huck Norris insert for my rear tire. I went with the DH casing which is thicker, and only 20g heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I've managed to get three flats this year already (thanks, 2020), so I decided to pull the trigger on a Huck Norris insert for my rear tire. I went with the DH casing which is thicker, and only 20g heavier.
    Id be curious to see how it looks when you change your tire after you wear it out. Theyre cheap, light and do the job. Theu've both saved my rim and tires so theyve paid there way x10.The original ones pretty much needed changing with a new tire, although ive used them on a 2nd tire with the slices in them from rim strikes

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I had a Cush Core in the cart ready to purchase for the rear of the hardtail. Checked out the Rimpact site out of curiosity and noticed they now have a Pro model. I really wanted to try CC, but at half the weight and 2 inserts (pro/regular) for the same money, I couldn’t pass it up.

#brokenrecord
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Lemme guess - EXO casing?

My flats come in spurts. Never knew why...

but most involved exo tires
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    My flats come in spurts. Never knew why...

but most involved exo tires
    Of course they did.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Lemme guess - EXO casing?
    Yep. But I've run EXO casing forever, and I average less than a flat a year. Not bad for the amount of miles I ride.

I've just had a really bad habit of hitting drops to sharp square-edged rocks this year mostly. Plus, it's 2020, which explains a lot of the bad luck.

Shredded a huck after having to ride flat down to help out a crash. I flatted, had let the sealant dry out, so even a tiny pluggable hole wouldn't hold.

Hucks have drastically decreased my flats.

I ran procore before hucks, and they worked great but were heavy and a total pain in the ass to reliably set pressures.

You guys are telling me I'm going to get a better ride if I switch to the CC, or rimpacts or nukeproofs or vittorias? How the heck am I supposed to pick? Also, looks like Huck is coming out with some beefier varieties...

I run EXO+ 2.4WT casing on Roost rims (amazing) and tend to ride really fast flow runs at the park and really chunky tech when I pedal (or park), but I also will go ride 30 miles of smooth. My technique is sometimes unrefined. I'm a mid-weight rider.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I'd run hucks, especially the new one, on the rear of my xc/trail wheels and vittoria or cush core(i think i could get away with vittoria with a good dh casing tire and save some weight and faffing about) on my burlier wheels. My nukeproof is working but it sounds and feels hard in the wheel. Im thinking the vittoria will just give a much better ride with added compliance. Probably better at protecting the rim too

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Just installed cushcore pro on 35mm internal Ibis carbon hoops with Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4s. Like 15 mins tops. Zero swearing. I guess some rim/tire combos are easy?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Couple observations... we (Chasing Epic) just started working with CushCore, so I'm in the process of installing their XC inserts into all of our demo bikes. Rear wheels only, as the main reason I'm using them is to prevent pinch flats.

On my personal bike, I had a Huck Norris DH insert in the rear wheel; I installed it about three weeks ago. When I went to remove it, all of the Stan's sealant had coagulated and formed several boogers that attached to the inside of the tire. No damage from impacts or anything, it seems to be a natural reaction to the foam insert. There was virtually no sealant left in the tire, even though I added a bunch when I put it on.

With the CC install, I'm using their new Bead Dropper and it helps a TON. As long as you push the bead down into the rim and use lots of soapy water, it's a pretty easy process. It takes less than 10 minutes per tire.

Im tempted. Going to see whats around gown. Going to need something for the same purpose(rear wheel, mostly pinchflat protection and rim strikes). Lighter alternative for all mt use

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    SJG thanks for the awesome review. On that basis and some follow-up research, just ordered some Vittoria Air Liners. They're 25+% off at many retailers right now. Seems like a great Goldilocks betwen HN and CC.
    I've been running the Air Liners for about a month.

I had one flat due to a puncture of the tread on the inside of an outer knob. Not sure if that was related to the Air Liner, but seemed notable. Running Exo tires (ha!). I'm chalking it up to user error and not the Liner. I plugged and kept going right quick. No problem. I was running low on air on my way out but the Air Liner provided great insurance - just had to go slow, and was fine.

Overall, seems like an awesome product and works as advertised. Install was tough but on the order of 30 minutes for this rookie.

Couple questions have arisen though:

Right now, I've got some crazy tire wobble happening. I thought it might be the rubber, so I tried all the tricks I know (deflate, reseat, check; deflate, pull out liner, clean out tire, reseat, check). After cleaning out the tire, I found a monster piece of consolidated Stan's. See pic.

Is it possible that the Air Liner caused this monster conglomeration of Stan's? There was far more congealed Stan's in small bits all over the tire inner than I have ever seen before. I think it might be the Air Liner.

Anyone else experience congealing tire goo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200805_160725.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	336434

Another question -- is it possible that an Air Liner could cause the tire wobble? I wonder if I cut it too long, so it's sitting proud (on top of) the rim in one spot.

Follow-up: I removed the Air Liner entirely, and remounted tire and wheel. Looks my rim may be just out of true, but still have tons of tire wobble.
    sproing!

Not sure about the wobble. I suppose it could.
    The sealant congealing is usually an air leak that sets it up. Bound to happen to some degree.

Question for cush core users. Im looking at the xc cc but im wondering how cush core holds up? How many tire changes will they last ?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Not sure about the wobble. I suppose it could.
    The sealant congealing is usually an air leak that sets it up. Bound to happen to some degree.

Question for cush core users. Im looking at the xc cc but im wondering how cush core holds up? How many tire changes will they last ?

A long, long time. On my last bike, I had cc front and rear and went through multiple tires over three years. No discernible damage or deterioration over that time.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    After cleaning out the tire, I found a monster piece of consolidated Stan's. See pic.

Is it possible that the Air Liner caused this monster conglomeration of Stan's? There was far more congealed Stan's in small bits all over the tire inner than I have ever seen before. I think it might be the Air Liner.

Anyone else experience congealing tire goo?
    Are you using a CO2 cartridge or a pump? CO2 can cause sealant to curdle.