Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Grid/exo with cush core= 1150ish g
    Exo+ with tannus 1150ish
    Dbl down/blck dmnd with tannus = 1300ish

Cush core will do you no good when a hole gets blown through an exo/grid

Tannus= $80cad, cush core $140
    New specialized tire $75

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I’ve had about 6 rides (2 park days) on a Tannus in a DHR2 DD and will be removing immediately. They suck to install, easy to get a wobble and make the tires feel like poo. Poo that is too firm on the sides and too squishy on top.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hmmm thats kind of my experience but i like the sidewall support and the tread casing still flexes and gives cushion and traction. Neither added sidewall support or tread casing flex is a major difference. I have heard a few rim strikes but no damage yet. Curious how the liner looks after the strikes though. Bit of a hassle installing but most liners are to a degree. No tire wobble on the 3 i have mounted. One is onto its 2nd tire. I find the vittoria a little more substantial. Little less tread flex and havent heard a rim strike from it yet i think. I was thinking i preferred the tannus by a slight margin with added traction. Subject to change if i find something wierd of course. As it stands now Id run vittoria or tannus . Ftr i have a cush core waiting to try but i havent tried cc. Hesitant with the additional weight and ensuing mount battle.
    Others ive had are huck and nukeproof ARD

Yeah, they might be better in a EXO+ tire, but I was not liking the feel with the DD casing. I've had a few episodes where it feels like the tread breaks free because the sidewall is too stiff and the tire can't flex enough to keep grip.
    I've got the BME race at Purg this weekend and think I'll be putting CC in. At least with CC, the upper 2/3rd of the casing flexes naturally.

Ive got them in 2 x mich dh 34 bike park casing and one in a schwalbe bb super gravity. Michelins have been 30psi for the park so i might not notice that effect as much on those. The 2.6 big betty super gravity is below the super dh in their casing line up but its as heavier than a maxxis dh casing and the psi gets changed for anything from low 20's psi xc and steep dh to 30psi jumpt bp. Ive only noticed that soft compound being sketchy in this latest blown out moon dust season and was thinking id like ultra soft. Before deep moon dust that bb on the front has been hooking up like crazy with any psi with tannus. In the bike park ive been prefering the wire bead full dh casing and stiff sidewalls over any other beads or tires even with high psi. Flexy sidewalls and beads sketch me out in high speed berms or tight transitions from berm to berm. Idk, maybe its what we're used to. I think i'd like to try some xc cushcores first rather than commit to the full pros. I dont want to f around too much installing liners. Have you tried xc cc?

Now that I've destroyed a second aluminum rim (xm481) this season due to rim strikes, I'm looking at an insert for the rear. Anyone have experience with the Panzer? I'm only looking for rim impact protection (a little lower tire pressure would be cool too but not at the expense of added weight). Looking at Panzer, Huck or Mega Norris based on this review but open to other suggestions in the low weight category:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...den-rated.html

I'm 160lbs, running EXO 2.4 rekon or ardent in back at around 27 psi (dissector front). Looking to keep weight and rolling resistance down for big rides. I seem to be riding stupider/more aggressively since getting a 130mm trail bike this spring (was previously on a 100mm xc) and am of course enjoying the smashy stuff more than I used to. I've considered a burlier casing and upping the pressure but would prefer to not go up in pressure. I rarely flat/slice a tire.

With your description the huck norris will do what you ask. Havent tried the panzer.
    If youre damaging rims im surprised you didnt pinch flat an exo tire. Bonus is the huck would add protection to the tire as well in case you dont stay lucky
    Huck norris saved my replacement race face arc 30 from dings and thats impressive. Pretty sure rf add butter to their aluminium

At 160 lbs and just looking for rim protection, I’d look at Cush XC too.

Sits nicely in the rim bed and helps support the bead and lower portion of the sidewall without drastically changing the volume or feel of the tire. Sticks up just above the rim edge so it helps a ton with rim strikes and only ~150g.

Some of my XC bro’s are using the tubolight and Vittoria. The XC tubolights are really light at 58g and 90 for the enduro-ish width

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post
    Now that I've destroyed a second aluminum rim (xm481) this season due to rim strikes, I'm looking at an insert for the rear. Anyone have experience with the Panzer? I'm only looking for rim impact protection (a little lower tire pressure would be cool too but not at the expense of added weight). Looking at Panzer, Huck or Mega Norris based on this review but open to other suggestions in the low weight category:

I'm 160lbs, running EXO 2.4 rekon or ardent in back at around 27 psi (dissector front). Looking to keep weight and rolling resistance down for big rides. I seem to be riding stupider/more aggressively since getting a 130mm trail bike this spring (was previously on a 100mm xc) and am of course enjoying the smashy stuff more than I used to. I've considered a burlier casing and upping the pressure but would prefer to not go up in pressure. I rarely flat/slice a tire.
    I, personally, would just get a burlier casing...

I’m in no way trying to question your ability to thrash rims but I would buy a new tire pressure gauge or check reliability against some friends gauges. I’ve gone pretty deep down this rabbit hole and I have two analogue gauges and one digital. My floor pump reads between 30-40 psi (varying) and two of hand held gauges are fairly consistent and read low 20’s (on the same tire) the other gauge and floor pump are 10-15 psi higher but don’t track in a linear fashion. I just think 27 psi is more than reasonable for your weight, rim, and tire combo so I’m wondering if you’re getting other variations.

I have a theory that most people run about the same tire pressure but measure differently. I had a buddy who swore he needed to run mid 30’s (measuring with a pump) but checking his tires in my gauge they were upper teens. Checking your gauges may save you some damage down the road (with inserts or without).

Analogue gauges are great but treat them like they’re made of glass.

That's a good call to verify my pressure- I'll see if I can find a gauge and/or another pump or two to confirm.

This last rim strike I did cut the tire, but the first one the tire seemed fine. Both rim strikes were from landing on sharp edged rocks while having way too much fun flying into rock fields.

I'm hesitant on the cush core / tubolight / vittoria style as they sound problematic to remove/deal with while on a ride in the middle of nowhere. Is this concern unfounded?

<snip> Both rim strikes were from landing on sharp edged rocks while having way too much fun flying into rock fields.
    It sounds like you're going to end up with burlier casings eventually *anyways* - so I'd suggest biting that bullet now.

The truth is that EXO tires are flimsy. Some people can get away with them, but I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole, because I too like flying into rock fields.

I can only speak to Cushcore XC but I think it takes less than 5 minutes to install with a standard tire lever. Ive never needed to use soap. Just that’s a little more work than a normal tubeless install.

Taking it out is easier but you’ll need to carry the insert out.

That's a good call to verify my pressure- I'll see if I can find a gauge and/or another pump or two to confirm.

This last rim strike I did cut the tire, but the first one the tire seemed fine. Both rim strikes were from landing on sharp edged rocks while having way too much fun flying into rock fields.

I'm hesitant on the cush core / tubolight / vittoria style as they sound problematic to remove/deal with while on a ride in the middle of nowhere. Is this concern unfounded?

I cracked a good (WAO Agent) carbon rim with CC XC on a curb (being a jackass). I wouldn't count on it saving your rims, it seemed mostly to just add some damping and a little bit of sidewall support.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Taking it out is easier but you’ll need to carry the insert out.
    and look like a badass doing it

Anyone with Rimpact Pro experience?

I had Rimpact Pro on the rear of my hardtail. It’s pretty hard so you can go too low with tire pressure. It did it’s job preventing pinch flats but I still managed to destroy the rim on a hard hit.

I don’t think I’d do it with the lightweight inserts, but I’ve been able to ride out on a flat with Rimpact and Rimpact Pro. Both times tire repair wasn’t an option, but I think I’d go that route regardless to avoid the slimy insert around the neck. The Pro especially rode surprisingly well.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.