Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    The only handling difference I've noticed from inserts comes from the ability to run a little lower (ie, reasonable) tire pressure.
    I've enjoyed eking out the last bit of traction from a set of tires I installed last summer. I think I ran 23/28 psi on fresh tires last year, now all the way down to 18/23 with CushCore front and rear. Probably time to throw the new tires on though.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

By a 145lb rider? Shouldn’t they have had it done by some guy weighing 200lbs?

https://nsmb.com/articles/tannus-arm...GYg74KH4O6qgbY

a more indepth review of Tannus, buddy likes them the best

edit: BTW I am not a user, just collecting the beta I find out of interest this could be the start of something or

I have never had a flat on the yeti running +20 ish psi, so I don't even carry the pack anymore at the local area cuz its close enough to just walk down in the unlikely instance i get a flat so I don't see a need for tire inserts
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-24-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Without Cushcore I would not have functioning wheels after racing this weekend. Saw LOTS of broken wheels this weekend. Even with Cush.

Cush + DH tires and I finally felt confident in my setup.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEOAa1xhavy/

Holy shit... so much loose dinner-plate.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://nsmb.com/articles/tannus-arm...GYg74KH4O6qgbY

a more indepth review of Tannus, buddy likes them the best

edit: BTW I am not a user, just collecting the beta I find out of interest
    I've been running Tannus Tubeless for ~ 2 weeks now.

I'm far from a gnar rider, and after years riding only gravel bikes and my Epic, I'm getting acquainted with rougher / faster trails on the Switchblade.
    Originally, I was running EXO casing tires and liked the increased support and damping moving up to EXO+. The Tannus Tubeless feel like that increase in damping and support again. The tires are calmer on the ground and in the rough, the bike feels more planted, the rear doesn't squirm when stuffing it into a berm.

With most riding I can get away with being sub 20 psi with the inserts where I need to be higher than that without. Riding in chunky terrain (Hall Rock Garden) I've had some rim strikes below 20psi with no damage to the Tannus insert. I assume these are less severe that if I didn't have the insert.

Climbing and rolling: Any affect on climbing or rolling resistance feels less than impact in tread or casing from going one tire to another.

Install: Pretty simple. Pop first tire bead on. Insert one bead of insert all the way around. Insert second bead of insert. Insert 2nd bead of tire. The insert shifts (unlike Cushcore) as you put the second tire bead on. Adds maybe 30 seconds.

My one gripe is that they look a bit janky because of the packaging. They do not like to be folded and zip-tied together, so when you open the packaging they're all sorts of creased and bent. (You can see this in the NSMB review).

Verdict: With equipment choice on the Switchblade I ask myself if it's going to increase fun on the down (e.g. I'm probably over-spec'd on tires,etc). These inserts fall in the same category. If I was deciding for a shorter-travel bike on general trail terrain, I'd have to think harder about their value (I have no plans to install them on my Epic). For setting up a bike that is focused on the down, I think they're worthwhile. One day I wouldn't mind comparing to Cushcore, but I'm not in a rush to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Dear lawd... You can see the trench getting deeper as the riders go by. Looks steep until you see the shots from the side and realize it's REAL steep. Some seriously loose action in there, I'm surprised that compression at the bottom didn't crush more people. One of the guys who eats shit out of frame gets chased by a rock the size of its head too, good times!

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    <snip>

With most riding I can get away with being sub 20 psi with the inserts where I need to be higher than that without. Riding in chunky terrain (Hall Rock Garden) I've had some rim strikes below 20psi with no damage
    Come on... you must weigh like 105 pounds, right?!?

Anyone ever run cush core XC?

Realizing that the Pro is really only needed for me when racing at Big Sky etc. Racing some tamer stuff in October and still want protection, but without the weight penalty of the Pro......other brands I should be looking at?

...but without the weight penalty of the Pro......other brands I should be looking at?
    No personal experience yet, but as mentioned above, the new Tannus inserts look like the bees knees. Gonna be getting one for the rear of my 29er SS.

Realizing that the Pro is really only needed for me when racing at Big Sky etc. Racing some tamer stuff in October and still want protection, but without the weight penalty of the Pro......other brands I should be looking at?
    Shop owner buddy was using the XC stuff in his rear wheel on his short travel bike before he changed wheelsets. He was planning on putting that wheelset on his enduro bike and was going to buy another XC for his front as well. He was pretty sold on it, but he didn't pay retail. The new tannus insert looks pretty sweet too.

Yes, ran it on the rear just for the sidewall support & feel. I don't flat because we don't have rocks here, but was running it on an EXO Dissector which is really flimsy. It felt good, added dampness over fast little chatter. I took it out when I went back to a Wild Enduro Rear because that's got stiffer sidewalls and is heavy enough that I don't want added weight penalty. I'll probably try a Wild Enduro Front in the rear with the CC XC once the rain starts, since the Front has a lighter casing weight and it has taller knobs.

Got my first DH bike flat ever last weekend. Rear wheel. Cush Core. DHRII Wire bead 50% wear. 27-28psi, I’m 160# without kit.
    Used 2 plugs in the tread hole and one plug in the sidewall then rode 2 more days on it. Probably need another weekend of use while I source new rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Cush Core, have it? want it? used it?

XC Sounds dumb. If you’re looking for all the non-flat-protection properties of CC, you need to be running the right size. If you just want lighter (and cheaper) flat protection, you should be looking at Nukeproof or Vitoria.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Yeah or run lighter tires with Cush Core? Last race there were 3 solid instances where I was super glad I had the heavy setup, but DH tires and CC Pro is a lot below a certain speed/steepness. Then again the CC is pointless if running EXO or DD tires and you cut a sidewall on a quartz point.

Anyone happen to have a 27.5 cushcore they want to trade for a 29" model? Decided I only need to run it in the rear and I've love to parlay my extra into something I can use on my other bike.

Mounted my tannus up inside a mich dh34 bike park casing. I havent put them through rocks yet but they mount up relatively ez and feel great before airing up. In theory i could see how they may work well. After mounting them that reinforced that. Fairly solid tire/sidewall at 1200g and the tannus tubeless liner gives the sidewall a bit more support but still allows the tread casing to flex with the trail. Only one ride so far.
    The nukeproof ard liner has been working well(on the emtb) preventing tire pinches and protecting the rim but it feels hard in there when i nail something. I check the rim after on occasion and no issues but im betting the tannus will have a much better ride quality, especislly with the added tread casing flex but i think the sidewall will have more support than the ard as well.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

So I installed CC on my 29X2.35 Aggressor rear, and on my second ride, the tire started squeaking like crazy. What is up with that? Any ideas?

Because the squeaky wheel gets the grease?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

HAHA, well I didn’t see where to put the grease!

BUMP I just installed a Cushcore Pro insert for the first time, and it was super easy if you follow the instructions and use the bead dropper tool. I can see how it would be difficult if you dont follow the tips though. Not wanting to use these inserts because they are too hard to install is not a good excuse anymore. I have also used the Tannus Tubeless inserts, and the Cushcore is not more difficult.

- Use soapy water
    - Use a trashcan
    - Roll the bead under
    - Drop the bead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7csiirhyMHM

Thats great. Cush core is next on the chopping block for me. After ttying huck norris, then nukeproof ard and now tannus tubeless and vittoria air liner i wanted to try a cushcore. All have done their job but the vittoria and tannus improve the ride quality the most. Of those two the tannus seems to ride the best. We'll see how cc compares. I was told yo watch that vid as well

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Thats great. Cush core is next on the chopping block for me. After ttying huck norris, then nukeproof ard and now tannus tubeless and vittoria air liner i wanted to try a cushcore. All have done their job but the vittoria and tannus improve the ride quality the most. Of those two the tannus seems to ride the best. We'll see how cc compares. I was told yo watch that vid as well

Nice! Yeah, definitely try it out. Tannus was the first insert I've ever used, and I felt like it improved ride quality. From all accounts, Cushcore has more sidewall support and dampening than the Tannues, so wanted to give it a shot. I dont mind the added weight because they will only be used on my bike park wheelset, and the added weight might even make it more stable.

Also think dropping the bead into the channel will help on the Tannus install as well. Didnt know about that technique when i originally installed the Tannus, and struggled getting the last bit of tire into the wheel.

Question for the experts/wrenches: are some rims harder to install inserts on than other rims?

I have Bontrager Line Pro 30s, and they are extremely difficult to get on Tannus tubeless inserts. I couldn't do it. I could get on Vittoria Air Liners, but it was a wrestle, and I warped the tire bead in the process. The Tannus is supposed to be pretty easy.

Seeing J-Dad's comments made me wonder if my rims are what makes the install so hard. I've read somewhere that the LP 30s have a shallow well. Or maybe the stock rim "tape" is thick? Dunno.

ETA: Outdoor Gear Lab said this about the LP30s:

Bontrager has optimized their wheels to work best with Bontrager tires and in our testing, we found that mounting and seating those tires was quick and easy. Mounting tires from other brands, like the Maxxis DHF/DHR II combo, is another story entirely. These wheels proved to be some of the most difficult to get tires onto the rims of any wheels we've ever tested. Not a deal-breaker, but something to consider if you wear out tires quickly or change tires regularly.
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...0-tlr-boost-29
    sproing!