Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think that with limited articulation of the ball joint, it would be best to have the ball joint stud axis pointed down. That would give equal range of motion for every swinging direction and also provides 360 degree z axis swivel.

If the ball joint is mounted horizontally, it'll be limited in swing range in one direction (and risk destruction of the joint in a hard swing/crash) and won't provide swivel.

Shit quick sketch....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200609_154655.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	331155

Four 75 mm shells make excellent legs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1591744224.271025.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	331156
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Some fir works too

Name:	Image1591744495.161136.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	331158
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Four 75 mm shells make excellent legs

Name:	Image1591744224.271025.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	331156
    Recoilless rifle casings. Got any extras?
    watch out for snakes

Chairlift Porch Swings: A cool idea in the abstract. In reality, kind of a pain in the ass.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Whatever happened to the days when resorts sold old and unwanted chairs for $350? Nowadays, it seems that they are looking to unload them for over $1000/chair. FKNA!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Of course. But those don't seem to be handed out with surplus chairs. Do they get rebuilt or reused?

Plus, you'd still have to build some mechanism to provide the side-to-side swinging that the cable twist would normally offer. Or not. I like the real feelz tho
    Not sure, my dad ended up with an old Heron double chair that he got for free from a ski area in the Eastern Townships of Quebec, and it included the grip and all the hardware. He's in the process of designing a frame to hang his and ideally wants to mount it on a length of cable.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Whatever happened to the days when resorts sold old and unwanted chairs for $350? Nowadays, it seems that they are looking to unload them for over $1000/chair. FKNA!
    Plenty of places still give them away, or ask for a modest donation to a local charity in exchange for one. I can think of one large destination resort that recently gave away old chairs from a lift it is replacing for a $200 donation to a charity.

T-line "sold" them for $500ea
    $100 to T-line for labor
    $200 donation to Friends of Timberline
    $200 donation to Mt Hood Cultural Center & Museum

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    He's in the process of designing a frame to hang his and ideally wants to mount it on a length of cable.
    that sounds very complicated

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    T-line "sold" them for $500ea
    $100 to T-line for labor
    $200 donation to Friends of Timberline
    $200 donation to Mt Hood Cultural Center & Museum

that sounds very complicated
    He's recently semi-retired, he has the time, but you're correct.

Local ski area selling old chairs for $250 here in Canaanistan
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Ya no way I got mine for a tidy $300ish donation to some charity. If you go on fleabay and go for one fully restored w mounting hardware then yeah it's a racket.

And Norse you don't give yourself enough credit that's solid looking! I'm just trying to figure out if there's just a bolt going throught the grip boss if there will be some sort of unequal load resulting in an unwanted tilt
    Last edited by Huskydoc; 06-10-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Lift grips need to be replaced every few years. Once they fail inspection, they are not reusable for lift operations anymore but they should still work fine for your needs.

I would check with the lift maintenance department at the ski area to see if they have any old grips that they are planning on throwing away.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Recoilless rifle casings. Got any extras?
    Do you live in the Seattle area ?

My buddy told me there are lots of old chairs in yurp, he looked into getting a fixed triple for the local hill hoping to make a little money as well but the cost to import/ upgrade made it not worth doing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Do you live in the Seattle area ?
    Negative ghost rider.
    watch out for snakes

Local ski area selling old chairs for $250 here in Canaanistan
    That’s what, like ten bucks right?

Huskydoc, since your chair has a wide flange on the top bar, an easy solution is to drill 2 equally spaced holes and suspend from two swaged steel cables from any horizontal beam or tree branch or whatever. I.e rather than trying to emulate the single attach balance point of the chairlift, use two attach points.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    That’s what, like ten bucks right?

Huskydoc, since your chair has a wide flange on the top bar, an easy solution is to drill 2 equally spaced holes and suspend from two swaged steel cables from any horizontal beam or tree branch or whatever. I.e rather than trying to emulate the single attach balance point of the chairlift, use two attach points.
    That's an interesting point, maybe even keeping the stem and grip boss in place and utilizing cables running from the flange. One concern is that this thing is going to be up against the house and the old lady is worried it's going to twist/fly around and bang up the siding.

Below is what I kind of have schemed up so far: utilizing a length of galvanized pipe running through two pillow bearings, with eh grip boss secured in place by shaft collars. The pillow bearings will in turn be mounted to a frame welded up from super strut which will in turn be mounted to the rafters in three places per side. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200611_101236.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	613.6 KB 
ID:	331315

For that kind of setup, you could omit the bearings since the grip boss is itself a greasable plain bearing.

Shredhead suggested this early.

The galvanized surface of the pipe might tear up the bearing surface, and pipe diameter would need to be within a narrow range for the bearing to work best (not too much slop which would wear it out early, not too tight to impinge grease layer)

But then you'd risk grease drips. And the mounted bearings would be super easy to work with. Shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    For that kind of setup, you could omit the bearings since the grip boss is itself a greasable plain bearing.

Shredhead suggested this early.

The galvanized surface of the pipe might tear up the bearing surface, and pipe diameter would need to be within a narrow range for the bearing to work best (not too much slop which would wear it out early, not too tight to impinge grease layer)

But then you'd risk grease drips. And the mounted bearings would be super easy to work with. Shrug
    Yeah saw that but wasn't sure how much swing/creak-free use I'd get without bearings involved at some point. I'll poke the thing some more tonight but it didn't seem like that inner layer rotated too freely, I thought the bearings were in the grip? I see the grease fitting on the grip boss though...

It's a plain bearing, without roller elements like in a ball bearing. The lining of the grip boss is a low-friction material, maybe brass or PTFE etc which have natural lubricity, plus the perforations hold pockets of grease for long-term lubrication. The lining is not meant to move at all within the steel boss, only provide a slick bore for a smooth shaft. As for longevity... it lasted decades on the haul rope, right? But getting something to fit as well as the original grip would be best.

Frodo’s off on his math but the method wood work.

KISS
    watch out for snakes

Frodo’s off on his math but the method wood work.

KISS
    My math is on point. Do we need to draw a diagram?

This worksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	571CF43E-4487-4EBE-9AEA-235D4A71764D.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	747.5 KB 
ID:	331514

Made this last week. Had to section out the vert to fit with dimensional lumber I found. Made the custom brackets from 1/4" plate and 1/2" round stock. Stuck some 1" gas pipe in there.
    Works great. Cost me about 50 bucks. Lots of found materials that and the chair was $350 10 years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200720_142428.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	480.9 KB 
ID:	335168  
    Attached Images Attached Images