Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Interested and following.

I don't got no technical knowledge but I would love to throw some money at this. Seems like a rad project.

IME as a HW guy shit always fucks up and it usually fucks up in the same way every time, so make it easily fixed and the parts available

I've had 2 pair of Turbo fan's fail to turbo fan, would it have killed Scott to provide a pluggable replaceable battery assembly ?

I would still be Turbo fanning
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    IME anything with wires and batteries transistors is gona fuck up and i made a career of fixing it so ever time I look at them on sale i give my head a shake and keep walking
    if something has tires, transistors or tits sooner or later you are gona have trouble with it
    IME as a HW guy shit always fucks up and it usually fucks up in the same way every time, so make it easily fixed and the parts available
    You might want to get your transistors checked buddy.

you must be what we reffered to as " the end loser " ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Interested.

I cant imagine skiing without boot heaters anymore, but the weak spot I've always encountered is the wire connection from the battery to the heating element. They break in different places but they always end up breaking.

Any ideas to mitigate this?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    I've been running my thermic ones inside of a braided wire loom. Totally fixed all issues with them breaking. The hotronics ribbon cables where nothing but a pain in the ass. All you had to do was look at them the wrong way and they would break.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I've been running my thermic ones inside of a braided wire loom. Totally fixed all issues with them breaking. The hotronics ribbon cables where nothing but a pain in the ass. All you had to do was look at them the wrong way and they would break.
    Do you have a pic of how that's installed?

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I worked for an brick and mortar/online ski shop a while ago that sold the crap out of hotronic stuff so we dealt with a lot of warranty claims. Most of what I saw was damage to the power chord from wear and/or the heating elements shorting out (no fire) and no longer working. I’d say for every 10 we sold we had 1 come back.

Also shipping lithium ion batteries (at the time 2015/16) had to go UPS ground, so I got to ruin a lot of Christmas ski vacations because people didn’t read the BOLD RED warning at the top of the page. /drift/ I had a guy screaming at me on speakerphone from his Beaver Creek condo on Boxing Day because the batteries shipped separately...”umm yeah I’ll just run down and find them at UPS and make them change their policy’s because you didn’t read the bold red CAPITALIZED disclaimer bud” /end drift/

Having the end user source their own batteries makes sense to me, might limit some sales but might eliminate a big headache.

Interested and following

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by ####### View Post
    I worked for an brick and mortar/online ski shop a while ago that sold the crap out of hotronic stuff so we dealt with a lot of warranty claims. Most of what I saw was damage to the power chord from wear and/or the heating elements shorting out (no fire) and no longer working. I’d say for every 10 we sold we had 1 come back.
    well 1 in 10 is still > 1 in 6 but with those odds shouldn't folks be askin themselves

do I feel lucky ?

well do you punk ?

punk # 2 was lucky

punk # 1 not so much
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-23-2020 at 03:56 PM.

you must be what we reffered to as " the end loser " ?
    Just go back to huffing the aqua-seal. You'll feel better...

From prior experience designing a lithium battery-powered device, the FAA rule (with some complications) boiled down to batteries had to be installed in the device (spares can be shipped by air but it was more complicated). I don't know about UPS/FedEx/USPS, but it may be that their rule is the same, meaning no loose batteries rather than no batteries at all.

I just looked at the FAA website and it seems to have the same basic rules I remembered, just with new stuff for hoverboards.

Lots of ways to address that, but obviously it's up to the carrier if their policy is more restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Do you have a pic of how that's installed?

I used automotive braided wire loom and wire cloth from amazon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2386.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	349497

^ thanks!

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

OP, any updates?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've made a ton of progress, but it's still an immature product.

It's gone from being a pretty crude McGyver style thing to a much higher-end design.
    I've got a couple of major prototypes done and I'm quite happy with how they've worked, practically. They did what they were supposed to do quite well - with some issues.

I have a, hopefully final, big change I need to test yet.

Once that's done, then we'll need to refine it physically and I'd like to have control apps for iOS and Android - which is another huge hurdle.

I'm kind of burnt out at the moment - I poured a ton of time into it in Nov/Dec/Jan and haven't spent as much lately. (I still need to ski some, eh!?)
    Honestly, I'm guessing I'll have something in a month or two, but in reality that probably means something for next season.

It's been difficult. I'm learning a whole set of skills - and the attending school of mistakes/failures. All those take a lot of effort, and time.
    -Greg

Apparently if you huff some aqua seal and you will feel a lot better

I'm sure the author of the "aqua-seal everything" thread could say that with total authority, aye?!

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    I've made a ton of progress, but it's still an immature product.

It's gone from being a pretty crude McGyver style thing to a much higher-end design.
    I've got a couple of major prototypes done and I'm quite happy with how they've worked, practically. They did what they were supposed to do quite well - with some issues.

I have a, hopefully final, big change I need to test yet.

Once that's done, then we'll need to refine it physically and I'd like to have control apps for iOS and Android - which is another huge hurdle.

I'm kind of burnt out at the moment - I poured a ton of time into it in Nov/Dec/Jan and haven't spent as much lately. (I still need to ski some, eh!?)
    Honestly, I'm guessing I'll have something in a month or two, but in reality that probably means something for next season.

It's been difficult. I'm learning a whole set of skills - and the attending school of mistakes/failures. All those take a lot of effort, and time.
    -Greg
    Keep at it. I was thinking when reading through and you were talking about a remote control that a smart phone app to handle the on and off would make sense since so many today ski with their smart phones. IOS and Android apps of course would be needed to be coded and beta tested.