Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Push fork coil conversion???

Anyone have one or ridden one? I love my push rear shock. I have a DVO Diamond 160mm in the front right now. Pretty good fork that I am mostly happy with, but wondering if trying a coil out front would be even smoother.

I have a 160mm 2015 Pike just hanging on the wall in my garage. One of the ones with the crappy RC dampers. Perfect candidate for this:

https://www.pushindustries.com/produ...x-pike-rc-rct3

At that price it seems like a no brainer to give it a try.

Yeah, I converted a Pike to he Push Coil. I really liked the change and feel like the fork is much more plush. It is especially noticeable on washboard and small bump stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    Yeah, I converted a Pike to he Push Coil. I really liked the change and feel like the fork is much more plush. It is especially noticeable on washboard and small bump stuff.
    That's exactly what I am looking for. The DVO is awesome, but on washboardy stuff it gets really bouncy.

I am pretty damn savvy on building bikes and doing suspension service. Was the conversion especially difficult?

I converted an older Pike. Great results and the swap was dead simple. Im tempered to do my new fork.

I did the Debonair spring replacement on a 16 Pike and felt a considerable difference. Spring was only $42.

The Push coil conversion will have nothing to do with the RC damper you don’t think is any good.

Do both forks have the same axle spacing?

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    The Push coil conversion will have nothing to do with the RC damper you don’t think is any good.

Do both forks have the same axle spacing?
    Yes, I had the Pike on the same bike before the DVO.

Realizing now that this coil kit isn't on the damper side. Would have to replace the damper as well. For whatever reason my Pike always sucked. Fresh service, etc it would be good for like half a ride and then suck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yes, I had the Pike on the same bike before the DVO.

Realizing now that this coil kit isn't on the damper side. Would have to replace the damper as well. For whatever reason my Pike always sucked. Fresh service, etc it would be good for like half a ride and then suck again.
    I'd sell my old 160 pike with charger rct3. Non boost? What do you weigh?

I did just the coil conversion (left the damper alone). The conversion was easy and the fork feels really good. I was planning on doing the damper right after I did the coil, but I just haven't gotten around to ordering the damper yet. I think I still will, but every time I ride I am happy with the way the fork feels.
    Thanks Shane

For starters WG, when these guys say the conversion is easy, it's an exaggeration. It's comically easy. It's almost weird how easy it is.

Next, when these guys say it makes a noticeable difference in the plushness of the fork, it's also an exaggeration. It's kind of laugh inducing to walk over to a bike with the push coil and push down on the handlebars. It just sags down. No stiction. It's so weird, because you didn't realize all that stiction was there before.

Lastly, as you've realized, it won't make your damper better because it's a spring. Like an air spring isn't a damper either. That said, maybe it's not the damper that sucked so bad on that fork.......
    However many are in a shit ton.

I have the Push ACS3 kit in a Fox 36 Grip 2. I am a pretty light weight rider and have struggled with high frequency small bumps in a lot of different forks but never with this setup. As long as I can't hear it its fucking awesome. My only complaint is the noise, its not the noise of the coil but of the bottom out air spring engaging. Sometimes I am able to block it out and those moments I never even think about the suspension, which I think is truly what you're after. All in all I am happy with it, every time I think about going back to air I have a ride that changes my mind.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

eh i converted a fox 36 fit fork. yes better slow speed small bump but not overly impressed. dropped a new pike ultimate with shorter offset and dropped weight, improved plushness, quieter... mo better.

I converted a Fox 36 fit4 as well. I also haven't been overly impressed. The fork feels fine, but a little harsh. I'm 210 lbs with a black spring FWIW. I like the feel of the Lyrik and the Grip2 36s better.

For what it's worth, I hated my '17 Pike RC. I put the new debonair air spring in it and the current generation Charger 2.1 damper, and it's great now.

Try adding some more OTT for your Diamond?

You 27.5? If so, I have a 2018 Helm Coil 160mm with the 55# spring that would fit your bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Try adding some more OTT for your Diamond?

You 27.5? If so, I have a 2018 Helm Coil 160mm with the 55# spring that would fit your bill.
    Yeah, I could definitely try more OTT. I am 27.5 with 15mm TA. I weight like 150ish with my gear on. That Helm Coil could be sweet. PM me a price if you don't mind.

Converting my DVO Diamond to a Vorsprung smashpot hopefully next week. I converted my fox 38 a month ago, the difference is night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    I converted my fox 38 a month ago, the difference is night and day.
    Say more about that... bc I was thinking about whether to get a new Zeb
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I’m giving serious consideration to a Smashpot conversation in my Zeb next year. I have a friend who just started a suspension shop locally, so that’s easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I’m giving serious consideration to a Smashpot conversation in my Zeb next year. I have a friend who just started a suspension shop locally, so that’s easy peasy.
    The new air spring and charger 3 damper in the 2023 Zeb is so supportive and good, I can't imagine a heavier coil spring conversion would ride better. The new internals are backwards compatible too, and the RS air spring update would be much less than a smashpot.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Say more about that... bc I was thinking about whether to get a new Zeb
    I never felt like I could get the Fox 38 dialed. It was too springy with small bumps. I ride in areas that are extremely rocky, like fields of little rocks jutting out all over the place. With the smashpot conversion, I can point and shoot much easier, without the pucker factor of getting bounced all over the place. Sections with multiple larger rock stages/drops, I feel much more comfortable sending down with speed.

Now, my DVO diamond needs service. For what DVO charges, plus shipping each way, converting it to a smashpot is a no brainer.

I've put ACS3s on Mrs Roxtar's last two bikes. Her current fork is a Pike Ultimate.
    She weighs 110lbs and air forks don't work for her. By the time I get the sag acceptable the fork is just dead.
    This kit is the shit. Best upgrade ever for lightweight riders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    The new air spring and charger 3 damper in the 2023 Zeb is so supportive and good, I can't imagine a heavier coil spring conversion would ride better. The new internals are backwards compatible too, and the RS air spring update would be much less than a smashpot.
    I’m curious about this, but the air spring would still have to have more stiction than a coil.

Currently running a Zeb performance or whatever the cheap one is. At speed the support is great, but there is basically ZERO off the top or small bump sensitivity.

My only concern with the ACS3 I had on my last fork was the weight. It rode like fucking butter though. FWIW I heart that push isn't making those anymore because they are really close to releasing their own fork.

Curious about those smashpots though.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Currently running a Zeb performance or whatever the cheap one is. At speed the support is great, but there is basically ZERO off the top or small bump sensitivity.

My only concern with the ACS3 I had on my last fork was the weight. It rode like fucking butter though. FWIW I heart that push isn't making those anymore because they are really close to releasing their own fork.

Curious about those smashpots though.
    I rode a Lyrik with a ACS3 for a couple months. Got my Mezzer back from warranty. The Mezzer outperforms the ACS3 in every way and doesn't feel like an extra weight on the front end.

Source on the Push forks? Of course they will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$!