mystery ranch pack, would you buy it again

Looking at getting the large size SOCOM Mystery Ranch pack.

Interested in hearing from folks who have one and how you like it, what you dont like and would you buy one again?

Got a line on basically new surplus for $250.

Yay or Nay?

Wookey made better packs..

Yeah I still have my 20 year old Wookey but that's not the question.

I owned a MR Saddle Peak pack for five years, sold it to my buddy who has used it for four years. 500+ days riding lifts with it on beating the shit out of it and still going strong.

I'm not familiar with the socom but their packs are widely considered super durable although slightly on the heavier side.

^^ ditto.

Have at least 8 seasons on my saddle peak and only noticeable wear is some color fading of the bright green fabric. Almost indestructible

Thanks guys!

I have a MR Patrol 35 use for all sorts of missions but primarily backcountry skiing. Its the most durable and bomber pack I have ever owned. The suspension is really comfortable and adjustable. I like that it has multiple ways to open (back panel and top load). I can fit my helmet inside the pack while skinning, keeps it from getting cold on those stormy days. I also like that I can carry ski diagonal or A frame, but mostly go diagonal because its a faster transition.

Its not the lightest pack out there by any stretch but I take the durability and usability over that....just eat a few less cheeesburgers and the weight savings is made up for.....I think I got it on close out for about $100.

They are one of the only companies that make tall (long torso) packs. I have not owned one but my next pack for any application would be a MR. From what I've seen (they're local) their stuff holds up superbly but isn't the lightest.

There is a great Blister Podcast with one of the MR Product Managers. Gave some great insights into their approach to design and how they take concepts from military, hunting, etc and combine it into other platforms....interesting story about how the suspension from a pack specifically built to carry IED robots for the special forces translates into a hunting/skiing pack..check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    They are one of the only companies that make tall (long torso) packs. I have not owned one but my next pack for any application would be a MR. From what I've seen (they're local) their stuff holds up superbly but isn't the lightest.

I run a Sawtooth 45 for hunting, had a prototype scapegoat I had got from a connection up there prior to that. I love their packs, the only other brand I'd look at for hunting right now would be EXO mountain gear.

I highly recommend MR.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Iíve been using a MR Marshall guiding hunts in the NWT for a few years now. Great piece of equipment in my opinion. Highly recommend
    Being grown-up sucks!

Great feedback folks!

I ended up going with another pack. I did note that the pack in question was on sale for July 4th for $216 which seriously tempted me.

They will probably be on sale again at Coleman’s surplus so if any one is looking check their site and wait for the deal.