selling a bike question

So I'm selling my bike, but I'm keeping rear shock and my wheelset to put on another frame. I have the original wheelset to go with the bike. Should I buy a basic shock or sell without one? My feeling is to sell without and let the buyer put a better or their preferred shock on. Does that make sense or is it a dumb idea.

I’d buy the cheapest used one that fits. Used one for $100, or the buyer bargaining that it’ll cost him $350 plus $50 hardware plus shop labour to install one. He will ask for $500 off the price of a comparable bike.
    Most shoppers are not knowledgeable enough (or confident enough) to find a new shock that fits or is comparable.

Depends who you sell to. Most people looking for a complete bike would probably want to ride right away - I'd imagine you'd turn off a lot of potential buyers. I'd just try to find a decent shock off pinkbike or somewhere else for a good price

well some people would be into that but if the no shock kills a deal thats not good, so you could offer options with or without whatever you want depending on how bad you need to make the deal at the time ?

I got an industry bud who buys a new whatever-he-is-selling, wraps the frame/ swaps in his carbon wheelset/ maybe some carbon parts,

20 rides later sells it in original condition and breaks even

that deal might work for a guy with lots of parts but me, i would want a bike with wheels and shock
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, that might work for some people but I bet you'd turn a lot of buyers off. I'd try to find a used shock on pinkbike to include.

right on! thank you guys

Yeah, in my experience, the more stripped down a bike is, the more difficult it is to sell it. I bet it's even harder right now with so many new people getting into the sport (or upgrading off 10yr old bikes where most of their parts are incompatible, and they don't have the mechanical aptitude to move parts over). You're probably best off baking the cost of including the shock (and replacing it with a new one) into the frame price, and offering an attractive discount if they take it bare (no shock). People like discounts / sales.